Just bought 1970 Marshall Major

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by bobyoung53, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Ned B

Ned B Well-Known Member

Mine is from 11/69 and has the "fish tail" selector. I have only seen those on US export amps from late '69 to early '70. I'm running KT120s.

Attached Files:

mAx___ and bobyoung53 like this.
  2. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 New Member

Thanks for the reply, two questions, are those 'fish tale" selectors available anywhere? No? Didn't think so. :D My first one also had that selector.
    Also I assume the power transformer is strong enough for the extra filament current the KT120's use? How hot does the power tranny get when you run it?

3. Ned B

Ned B Well-Known Member

I run it pretty clean. I have not played it long at loud volumes. You can't be in the same room even with ear plugs it is so loud. Also I would think it would arc if driven hard for a long time. My bass player uses it when we rehearse at my house and it does sound fabulous.

playloud likes this.
  4. gtomax

gtomax New Member

I've got a few big amps like a 1968 DR201 and 1969 Orange/Matamp using KT88s. I might be blowing my cover but I've got a few sets already - you can find NOS GEC TT21 tubes which are KT88's with an anode cap. You can buy an adapter per tube on ebay and these are fabulous tubes that are still currently obtainable as long as your cabinet supports the additional height of the adapter and cap. Looks like the Major should be OK, worth a shot to check it out.

I've found TT21s with original packaging around $150ea at NOS specs and they'll last.

playloud likes this.
  5. playloud

playloud Member

At the risk of derailing the thread, do you know if those "6CA7"s (or the MkIIs) are beam tetrodes? I'd probably get a set for variety if so, but I've seen them listed as pentodes in a couple of places (e.g. here).

6. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I know the original Sylvania 6CA7s that I replaced them with were beam tetrodes, not sure on the Psvane Mk I or Mk II. Psvane also made a very nice reissue of the early metal base Phillips EL34s if you are looking for a pentode.

playloud likes this.
  7. playloud

playloud Member

Yes, those look really nice too. I'd actually prefer beam tetrodes though, as I'm already pretty happy with Winged Cs for the pentode sound.

8. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend the Winged C 6L6's however they are getting very hard to find.

playloud and Valvelust like this.
  9. Valvelust

Valvelust Well-Known Member

It all depends on how far you want to go, hard to tell what wave form comes out of the EBS you might be okay as long as you don't push it past 4-5.