Juicy guitar tones The Darkness

Crikey

Reaction score
I had no idea the singer of the Darkness was such a good gitar player.
Their albums have some juicy gitar riffs. While Hawkins can wail with the best, the super falsetto tends to get a bit old, to my ears. Id like to hear Hawkins lay back a bit on the vox like Chris Cornell did so well.
BUT, like butt the big lady be havingin the 1st row at church, but, Hawkins is a great player
Looks like he is using either a Jtm 45 or a 1987 driven into a 1959 and the tones are super good.

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
Looks like a Friedman small box is being used

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like The Darkness, but mostly the pre-destruction era. Yeah, always great late-70's tones. In my opinion the best, well before Marshall's JCM 900 "high gain" shemanigans began, when they coined silly phrases like "dripping with gain" and "the all-important mids", etc.

Justy's vox (and while I'm at it, his sox :D) is too loud in the OP video mix. Too dry as well.

Justin should grow his hair back, and dump his YouTube gig.

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
You are smart!! Two is one and one is none. Link to the video?
:thumbs:
svx2h.jpg
@SlyStrat has 2 as well! The double double whammy!

Hawkins/SV20H vid

This video is killer IMHO!

Beltalowda

Reaction score
Yeah, Justin is great. I especially like his solo on 'Open Fire'. Overall, I'm a bit more drawn to Dan's playing. He can do some pretty solid lead work in addition to his awesome rhythm and riffage.

Dan's video (above) is where I first learned about the SV20. I had a brief period of lusting over one because of it!

Last edited:

Redders

Reaction score
They were huge over here in the UK from the get go, that first album came out and they were immediately playing arena's . I love em' despite they are a bit gimmicky, they have some big riffs and Justin is a great front man. Last time i saw them they were supporting the Hollywood Vampires in Manchester and he was talking in between songs and someone shouts "fuck yeah Justin!" to which he mimics the Manchester accent whilst this guy was swinging his hoodie in the air and he was like "Sir, do you wish to discard of that garment?" :lol:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Looks like a Friedman small box is being used
Dunno about Justin, but Dan defo uses a 1987x.

blue

Reaction score
They're both great players! Dan has always had great Les Paul/Marshall tone, but early on Justin was using massively saturated Mesa Dual Rectifiers. Since he switched to Marshalls he sounds a lot better (to me)

79 2203

Reaction score
Great band. The opening riff to Black Shuck is one of the very best LP into Marshall tones ever recorded.