Jubilee channel switching and guitar choice.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JacksonCharvelAddict, Apr 24, 2020.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I was messing around with the Jube stack the other day and I was thinking about how many people run these as channel switchers and others feel they work best if treated as a single channel. Both methods are valid of course but I was noticing that my opinion of the channel switching was dependent on the guitar I was using at the time. For example I have two main guitars that I play. The first is a Jackson King V with active pickups with true coil splits. The second guitar is a Charvel San Dimas with the classic Duncan JB/59 combo(my favorite pickup combo) and the Charvel also has a coil split.

What I noticed was that when I was using the King V with active pickups I felt that it was very difficult to balance the gain between clean and dirt. I usually end up putting a clean boost up front to take my from rhythm to lead territory. When I was using the Charvel I initially felt the same way unless I switched from my bridge pickup to my neck pickup. The Charvel is setup to have the neck pickup a little lower than the bridge meaning if I want a bit of a gain drop I can flip my toggle and get it to clean up quickly. I attempted to do the same with the King V and it works somewhat but not as well. My King V has direct mounted pickups meaning that the height is not adjustable. I am not sure if EMG's are even designed to have the height tweaked the way traditional pickups are so this may not even be a good idea.

To summarize I found that if I had a guitar that had more tone options it made the Jubilee feel a lot more versatile than it did with a guitar that had less tweakability. Anyone else feel the same way? I would love to hear more tips you guys use to make channel switching work in a live situation.

El Gringo likes this.
  2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm. When I had active pickups on 2 different guitars I felt they both basically sounded the same, not much personality. I do like hotter pickips. 500T, 490T in the Lps, 57+ in the Explorer, SD Distortion, SD invaders in the Mockingbird etc.

I use clean channel for cleanish for only a few songs. For those I back the gain down to like 6 or 7 ish . Sometimes neck pickup or a combimation with the bridge pickup higher. Usually I run an acoustic sim or reverb and such from the G3 in loop. I set the level on the G3 HIGHER for the clean effects so I have to lower guitar volume to balance the level thus making it cleaner. That might be the key for me.
    I then goose Lead Channel with an OD. I like the Bad Monkey or the Badass Distortion, it has 3 band EQ. I then use an EQ in loop for solos.

For the rest of the time the gain is at or near 10 on Lead channel amd I use the EQ and a slight goose on OD for solos. It works resonably well. I should play with the clip mode on clean channel combined with an OD. But I think that shared gain may not work with the lead channel.
    EDIT may find when I start using the Godin live with a Jubilee that it will work even better as it has a piezo in the bridge with an acoustic preamp along with yhe humbuckers.. So simply switchjng channels amd pickups will make a big difference.

3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I use both approaches. Sometimes I channel switch. Sometimes I just roll the guitar volume up and down in addition to varying the pick attack. Sometimes I use both. I began riding the volume knob when playing gigs probably without even thinking about many years ago. I think it was to simplify things so I was not tap dancing during songs.

I only have one guitar with high output pickups at this time. I can make the same methods work with the high outputs. I just need to roll it farther down. It's an 80's Charvel so I'm not going to modify that guitar in anyway as long as I can make it work, and I can. But most of my guitars are fitted with vintage output pickups these days.

4. Jethro Rocker

I should add, I'm more of an old school metal, 80s hair meets modern tonally.

5. JacksonCharvelAddict

Thanks for the replies guys. Playing a real Marshall has been real eye opening for me. I started playing as a teenager in the 90's and had always played solid state amps or various modelers. Getting a real tube amp and learning about riding the volume was a new thing for me. I think one of the reasons that concept is foreign to me is the fact that I mainly learned to play Megadeth and Metallica stuff. Most thrash bands have very clean tones and switch to very dirty. Bands like Guns and Roses use the volume knob quite a lot. I generally don't like riding the volume because my right hand is numb from a serious brain injury from years ago. I generally try to limit my right hand to picking and maybe the tremolo bar if I feel like it.

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

I started getting more into the 80's metal tones which was why I got that Charvel. Switching to the neck for cleans works pretty good for me. I now understand why some people like having a seperate volume and tone knob for each pickup. That would make dedicating a pickup to cleans a little easier.

7. Jethro Rocker

Yeah 2 volumes is sure nice ala LP. When turnjng volume down then up again and back down in a song with a guitar that has no knob markings, it gets annoying. I put a push pull pot in my Ibanez Prestiges as a direct bypass out. All controls bypassed, signal goes straight to output. So once the lower level is set, I never have to set the volume again, just pull the pot up.

JacksonCharvelAddict and mad5066 like this.
  8. Jethro Rocker

Addendum - it also runs only bridge pickup out. So one can go from attenuated single coil neck plus middle to direct bridge humbucker at full out and back simply with push pull for example.

9. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I use my 2555X's as channel switchers and it works great with the Les Paul's . Going from clean to mean at the stomp of the footpedal works really easy from clean to lead . I have a Strat that has regular single coils and to me it sounds like weak crap . I will be ordering Fender Lace Sensor pickups today ( blue , humbucker sound in the neck , silver classic 70's sound for the neck , and Red for the Bridge that is hot ) I use to use an almost same set up in the past with my Fender amps which the Strat had gold in the neck and middle and red in the bridge . Honestly that was the best Strat sound I ever had and of course I ditched them as my bandmates felt the tone wasn't authentic Fender . I ditched those guys anyway and I still have that set of Lace Sensors at home , but they are buried and I am no archeologist . I am hoping to have a decent working Strat that sounds good thru my 2555X's and that's where I am fingers crossed thinking that this will work with the Lace Sensors which I will most likely use passive as I will not be getting the tone boost control because I will not hack out wood for the 9 volt battery . Speaking of that where do they usually stick the battery on those Clapton Strats ? Is it somewhere in the tremolo back plate area ?

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

It looks like it is under the trem cover like you said. Great idea to keep from hacking extra holes in the body.

El Gringo likes this.
  11. El Gringo

Oh yeah , because who knows down the line ? Plus the pickups worked for me in the past being run passively .

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  12. El Gringo

Exactly one of the best reasons why I love the Les Paul so much , the simplicity of the design is a big plus for me .

Jethro Rocker likes this.