Jtm45 Reissue Can The Output Be Upgraded?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Roscoee, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Roscoee

Roscoee New Member

The title pretty much says all, just wondering if it could be done!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

That is a very vague question that begs a similarly vague answer, what do you mean (as the question implies that you don't quite know what you mean!)
    Tone quality?
    Tone type?
    Volume?
    ?

3. Roscoee

Roscoee New Member

Oh sorry! I mean for volume purposes :)

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

What most players want to do is reduce the volume.
    Because it's waaaaaaaay too loud for most applications.
    What I've been doing is - making it triode 13 watts. But it's still ridiculously too loud....then use a small amount of attenuator.

What many people think is that wattage = loudness.
    But that is proven wrong every day.
    Even a 7 watt amp can drown out a drum set. Even 7 watts is too loud for many applications.

So 45 watts does not need to be louder than it is already. That is a mistaken assumption.

5. Roscoee

Roscoee New Member

But what's the problem with having a 100w? :p

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with 100w, get a different amp :). What is the real problem here, is your JTM45 not loud enough? You can always mic it if it needs to be louder at a gig.

7. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love the tone of a JTM45 but find they get buried pretty easily by drums in a band setting. Depending on what sort of music you play of course. Just not enough power for me so I play 1987's and SLP's instead. Close enough to a jtm45 but more power and headroom.

Depending on what you are currently using, one thing you might want to try is more efficient speakers.

Big volume jump between a 97db greenback or G12T75 and something like a 100db V30 or G12H30. I believe other speaker manufacturers such as Eminence or Jenson produce speaker models rated slightly above 100db as well.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Tone-Tips-Speakers-Revisited.aspx

8. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    What friggin stadium are you playing? I get griped at all the time to turn my JTM 50 down all the time..lol

The Ozzk likes this.
  9. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

So is the assumption that a JTM45 puts out 45 watts by a supposedly knowledgeable amp tech.

SmokestackElRopo likes this.
  10. SmokestackElRopo

SmokestackElRopo Active Member

The Marshall reissue JTM45 is 30 watts. I have put Valve Art KT66 in mine and play thru a 1936 with Eminence Redfang 16 speakers. It is loud with just the right amount of hair around it. The speakers have a 103db sensitivity rating.

Blueslicks likes this.
  11. jack daniels

That means that you should get more coloration from the amp and less from the speakers which I prefer myself, that's why I like my vintage Fanes.

12. 30watt

30watt Well-Known Member

A JTM 45 gets "buried" by the drums??

Who is your drummer? The Hulk??

13. paulorr8179

paulorr8179 Active Member

I have a reissue. I put el-34's in. I attenuate with a Marshall power brake. I feel attenuation adds some grit so it is more like a 1987x at low volumes.

I also have a 12 watt Fargen mini Plex mark II that is as loud if not louder.

14. Blueslicks

Lol, I would love to play a stadium. No, I mostly just play clubs but sometimes get opportunities to perform in bigger venues as support for bands that fill seats.

With that said, I believe your JTM 50 is a 50 watt amp whereas the JTM 45 is only 30 watts so yours should have a lot more spunk. Regardless, you can tame a 50 or a 100 watter easily. Speaker and cab choice then a bit of attenuation. I use a 1987 into a 2x12 with 97db speakers for most clubs I play. A bigger room and I use a 2x12 with 100db speakers. An even bigger room a 4x12 with 100db speakers. And though I rarely use it, I also have an attenuator to knock the volume back even more should drastic measures be called for. In a tiny rehearsal room I usually just turn the cab a bit off axis but facing a wall. Off axis retains some audible mids and high end bite. I don't like relying on a mic and a monitor facing me for my stage sound. I need my guitar sound coming from my cab and behind me, a hard hitting powerful drummer, thundering bass with lots of low end thump as I'm in a 3 piece and above all...I need NMV style power tube distortion with the added breakup and compression of speaker cones being severely punished by volume. It's what I like, it's what inspires me and it's how I want others to hear my music.

I think this dudes got great tone and killer chops. Scroll down to his thoughts on taming his own amps...

http://jdsvintageguitarcorner.tumblr.com/post/91259117109/taming-100-watt-marshalls

But for sure "loud" all depends on what style music you play, what it is that sounds good to you and what you yourself perceive as "loud" or rather "too loud".

15. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My 18watt tmb is very loud, Hell I have a 1 watt head that will rattle the windows cranked. My 50watt jcm800s are insane loud and can bury drummers. i cant imagine the jtm45s 30 watts not being loud enough, is it working correctly? If so maybe you should sell it and get a 100 watt superlead, or just go all the way and get a Major, and if thats not loud enough maybe it isn't the amp its your hearing... Lol..

16. Blueslicks

I think you would hear a pretty obvious volume disparity between your JCM800 and a JTM45 if they were to be played side by side. The available headroom on your 800 would be significant.

17. jack daniels

Guess again, the "PLEXI" JTM45 and JTM50 are going to have similar output of around 38W pre clipping. Why? Power supply, lower B+ with tube rectification, 25W rated KT66 or EL34 tubes. BUT as Chuck said, it's still more than enough for most. I own a JTM50 as well. Now if you take a 2203 or 2204 head loaded w/6550 tubes rated at 42W per tube and biased at the same static dissipation point as an EL34 loaded JMP amp, then you will have more power available to you because: 1) The JCM power supply will deliver the needed voltages. 2) SS rectification 3) 42W rated tube versus 25W rated tube.

18. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

My Class 5 watt amp through a 4x12 is really loud, and loud enough to play through it at a gig in a small venue. If a 30-45 watt amp isn't loud enough, there is something wrong.

19. Blueslicks

Why would you suggest something is "wrong"?

Just because "you" are satisfied with the volume of your Class 5 does not mean others would be.

ADOLF1612 likes this.
  20. 30watt

30watt Well-Known Member

50 watts isn't that much louder than 30.....it's only a couple or 3 dB. But volume is more than just watts.

I have a 1983 4104 50w that is plainly louder than my 5275 75 watt. Hell, my Artist 30 is louder than the 5275.

Different strokes, but you may regret playing that loud when you are 40 or 50.