>

Jtm45 Question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bogmonster, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

Hey guys,

So I've recently added a JTM45 to my arsenal of amps. Got it at a great price so couldn't pass on it. It sounds unbelievable!! Different beast to my Super Lead but very very cool. Really enjoying it. Very full sound and not as deafening as my Super Lead when cranked. Looking forward to trying it with my band.

So here's my question, were these amps part of the handwired series? It's from 2006 and has no tremolo. Just the straight up JTM45. I don't particularly want to take out the chassis to check. I'm just a bit nervous of doing that in case I drop it or something. I'll just leave well enough alone. My 1st thought was that it was handwired since it has no loop. Doesn't bother me either way. Just curious. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

Really great amp. I might get an ABY box and run it with my Super Lead. Or maybe daisy chain them like Jimi did back in the day.....:hmm:

bgreed2 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I don’t have any experience with this particular amp but I do know that there are many who do, congrats on your new amp!

Bogmonster likes this.
  3. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

The JTM45's are not handwired if they don't have tremolo unless it is one of the offset anniversary amps. I don't think the 2245 has a loop. Either way those are very cool amps and happy NAD!

Bogmonster likes this.
  4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Great sounding amps, I changed the bright cap in mine, and added a Metro loop (I gotta have a loop).

Bogmonster likes this.
  5. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

Thanks very much guys! It's a fantastic amp. I'm told they're only partly handwired. I'm guessing that's just from pots to PCB or something. I'm sure someone knows.

The loop isn't an issue to me as I use a Fryette Power Station and that has a loop. But I still don't use it. All up front for me. I have no need to clip the bright cap as I'm so used to my Super Lead that I know it'll sound awesome in a band situation. It's very bassy but in a good way. Nice and squishy if that makes sense.

It definitely has it's own way of being dialed in. The eq seems to be most effective wide open nearly and bass on around 1 or 2. The NMV amps I've played all seem to be like this. Full mids or at least nearly full seems to just work.

It's all a learning experience.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  6. marshallmellowed

For clarification, I don't "clip" the bright caps in my amps, I tweak the value to best suit the tone I'm after from a given amp. In the case of the JTM45, I wanted a little more treble/overdrive.

7. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

That makes more sense. I see people clipping the bright cap on a Super Lead but never saw the need for it on a JTM45. It's a pretty full sound as it is.

So far the tone is very very sweet sounding to me. I seem to be in the minority who don't like a NMV amp cranked. The JTM gives up the goods at around 4 to me. 5-6 being probably the most I'd go. After that it's gets way too compressed and squishy to my ears. Same with my Super Lead. Sounds great at 4 but perfect at 7.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. marshallmellowed

Definitely. I run mine with High Treble no higher than 6 or 7, Normal around 2 or 3.

Bogmonster likes this.
  9. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

The tube sockets and pots are chassis mounted and wired up with flying leads to the boards. This is how the PCB Super leads and pre-1985 2203 and 2204 amps were built. Considering how many of those are still kicking I'd say it's a sound construction method!

Mitchell Pearrow and Bogmonster like this.
  10. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I haven't tried jumping the channels yet. Just straight in to the top left. But I'll definitely be trying that. It just sounds really nice straight into channel 1.

That would explain how its "partially" handwired then. Cheers for the info.

11. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I usually just go straight into the top left on JTM45s.

12. marshallmellowed

On a bone stock JTM45, I agree. Stock JTM45's are very bass heavy. This is one reason I tweaked my bright cap value, to get a little more treble and more use from both inputs. May not work for others, but it works for me.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I plug into top left like you guys.
    I do like a 100pF cap on the volume pot.
    I boost mids and treble, dial back the bass. Bright channel on 6-8 and ride the guitar volume and tone pots.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  14. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I always snip the bright cap on NMV Marshall's.
    Your 45 isn't hand wired. But to me that doesn't matter in tone.

Mitchell Pearrow and Bogmonster like this.
  15. Bogmonster

Bogmonster Active Member

I never clip the bright caps. Once the band kicks in, I don't see a need for it. If I need more low end I usually jumper the channels. But I agree, the tone is fantastic. Handwired or not, it's just spot on.

Got to use it in band practice and it just killed. Volume just over 6, presence over half way, bass on 1 or 2, full mids and treble around 8 or 9. It just sings! I ran a Fulltone OCD in front and it just screamed. What a combo! A Fulltone Fulldrive 2 in front of the OCD kicked in for leads........wow!

I read and seen videos of guys saying crank the mids on old Marshalls and I was sceptical until I tried it. Just crank them and rock out. :headbanger:

16. SlyStrat

I sold my 45 when I got an Origin 50.

BrentD likes this.
  17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I've been gassing for a JTM45 or a clone thereof.
    Was $ part of the equation when selling off your JTM45 or are you of the opinion that the Origin sounds as good or better than the JTM45?
    BP

BrentD likes this.
  18. SlyStrat

I think my Origin sounds better. I have the head and combo.
    Better articulation, a little "meaner" tone like 1987, more clean head room if needed. I think the clean tone is more "musical/prettier".
    Takes pedals better.
    I prefer no rectifier tube. I like faster response when playing fast licks.
    Plus you get built in boost, master volume, and power scaling that sounds better than an attenuator.

19. marshallmellowed

I hooked my JTM45 (with Metro loop) up today, and it sounded great. Started out with one click of attenuation on a Power Brake, then no attenuation. I personally do like the "different" feel of an amp with a tube rectifier (for a change), it's one of the reasons I wanted a JTM45.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Bruno60 likes this.
  20. Bruno60

Bruno60 Active Member

Cool !
    What is a "metro loop " ?