>

JTM45 cleans - how loud?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Joblogggs, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Joblogggs

Joblogggs New Member

I’m interested in using a JTM45 or equivalently voiced amp as a pedal platform, as I’ve only just discovered that they’re (only??) 30 watts. Hopefully this would mean that their clean volumes could be a little easier to manage than other plexis.

But the question is - how loud does a JTM45 need to be to get a decent clean sound? And are its lower volumes easier to control than say, a 50 watt Plexi? I sadly sold my 1987x because it was just too much of a monster; the volume knobs were practically on/off switches and it didn’t sound decent clean until people were already ringing the police.

Particularly if anyone’s got db figures that would be very much appreciated, for a) ‘rich warm JTM clean’ and b) ‘a bit of breakup if you dig in.’ I suspect these might be two quite different readings!

I’m using a strat and greenback 4x12, and want to avoid the extra transporting and expense of an attenuator. This would be a gigging and recording amp.

Oh and if anyone has affordable suggestions for other amps that would get that sound at volumes as low as possible I’m all ears. I do miss the bottom end and smooth warm spaciousness of my 1987x. Perhaps only actual plexi amps above a certain wattage can get that bass ‘kick?’ Cheers.

2. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Bummer.
    I love my 1987x and usean attenuator. It records so well and gets LAF.
    Never db’d it but my voxac30 is 30 watts and it gives the marshalls a run for the money
    You can also employ a volume pedal,
    Others can chime in here on speaker efficiency, etc
    Where will you be playing out at large clubs, outside, etc

Joblogggs likes this.
  3. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Great cleans that are at a manageable volume. Definitely gets loud when you turn it up for grind. Bass is a little flubby compared to a 1987x but it’s not as punishing to stand in front of one. Sounds cleaner with an open-back cabinet.

4. MP+

MP+ Member

If you're looking for a Marshall head to do what you describe, go for the 50 watt Jubilee re-issue. The most controllable volume settings of all time and arguably the cleanest cleans Marshall released but with nice crisp breakup when pushed on the clean channel. You also get the bonus of top notch lead and rhythm channels. Depending on what sort of gigs you're talking about, this amp. will hold up to most on stage volumes without support from a PA system, bit you will need to mic. it up to keep the cleans clean and cut over the top of a loud drum set up. The other option is to slave it to a quality power amp and additional speakers if you really need to get it super loud but clean.

Joblogggs and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I have a JTM45 and a 50 watt Jubilee. I can get either amp to sound like the other clean through a greenback loaded 4x12. The eq settings will be be totally different, though. The JTM45 has so much low end that you will probably end up turning it down to almost zero at band volume. The big Jubilees can get a deeper bass but the bass also gets more focused as you turn it up.

"50 watt Jubilee re-issue." There isn't a 50 watt reissue but the 100 watt reissue, the 2555x, would be the one for this. You can run it in triode at 50 watts as an option, too.

The Jubilee has a very manageable master volume. The JTM of course is a non master volume amp.

The JTM 45 does not get near as dirty as quickly as the 1987. JTM45s are still plenty loud.

Joblogggs likes this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

"But the question is - how loud does a JTM45 need to be to get a decent clean sound?" makes no sense to me. A JTM45 has "decent" cleans at it's lowest volume settings. As you turn these non-master volume amps up, they begin to breakup, so I think a better question would be, "at what volume does a JTM45 lose it's "decent" clean tone, and go from clean to dirty?". The answer to that question, is louder than you would need for most indoor, or small outdoor gigs. If you're asking for a number (decibel level), I don't know.

Joblogggs, trax1139, MP+ and 2 others like this.
  7. MP+

MP+ Member

Agree, turning up a JTM will push it further away from clean. Thanks for the update re: the re-issue, didn't realise the 50W wasn't re-issued. 100W would do a better job job with cleans anyway having that slightly greater headroom, very controllable tone and presence at any volume.

Joblogggs and Trelwheen like this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Any 50 or 100 watt Marshall can do a loud clean. :shrug:

9. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    All NMV Marshalls will be loud before you get that rich clean tone. Having said that my 1962 combo can be fairly quiet and still have a decent clean tone, the volume knobs are not on/off. Try the bottom inputs, or turn the amp up and your guitar down. Most great clean tones will be found by doing this. At the end of the day this is not a home amp and for you to really enjoy it, you will need an attenuator. I have the Harley Benton PA100. A lot less than $100 and with a little EQ adjustment sounds great.

Joblogggs likes this.
  10. dro

dro Well-Known Member

JTM45 is the best pedal platform there is.
    At any volume. Jump Ch1 lo into Ch2 hi.
    Run anything you want into Ch1 hi.
    Overdrives, reverbs, echos, delays, (yes they are different)
    Whatever you can put in the front, will sound great coming out of a quad of greenbacks.
    You don't want to run a JTM45 through something like Vintage 30's it will absolutely kill the mojo.

When I have had my amp on more than 3 or 4 hours. The crystal clean starts to go away.
    So more than volume level it is tube heat that makes it start to break.

Joblogggs likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Interesting, mine doesn't change after being on for hours. You may have a weak tube (preamp, power amp, rectifier).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  12. Joblogggs

Joblogggs New Member

Thanks for all the great info guys - I was actually signed out and didn't know!! Sorry for the late response.

My aim is to have rich cleans, with manageable volume at even smallish venues. Sounds like opinions differ and have a foot in either camp as to whether the JTM is the amp for that. Wishing to avoid an attenuator, it sounds like I'd at least need one with a good MV mod. My 1987x certainly to me, didn't sound 'rich' or 'sparkly' until it was truly too loud for most applications, I should probably have messed around with something like a PPIMV.

Hm thanks, a couple of mentions of this! I'll have to check it out!

Overall... sounds like I've got to drive the distance to hear one in person. But from what I hear it really sounds attractive. Cheers

MP+ likes this.
  13. MP+

MP+ Member

So I was corrected, the Jubilee has been re -issued in 100 watt. There is also a mini 20 watt in the re -issue series but you might end up under-gunned for clean headroom with the smaller one. I've had a Jubilee 50 for years, to me, the clean setting was the selling point when I cut the deal to buy it. The feature is the simplicity and consistency relative to volume settings, they really need minimal tweaking with the tone and gain controls. The Jubilee is heavily hyped for its distortion sounds, personally, I think there are better options in Marshall Amps. for quality overdrive tones. The best clean achieved by my 50 watt was through an "Orange" 2x12" cab. using two EH6CA7 big bottle output tubes in place of regular EL34s which the Amp. came with, though there might be better options for the 100 watt, also depending on what the output is set up with from the factory.