JTM 45 offset cab

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by stickyfinger, Nov 23, 2019.

1. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is this reissue cab a replica of a real offset cab?
    I cant find any cabs from that era and I don't have Doyle's book.

Pics of original 4x12 offset /sandwich top cabs are welcome to post!

2. Pageburst

Pageburst Active Member

I’d be interested to know too. But I can say this. That cab with 4x12 celestion silver alnicos is absolutely heavenly with my JTM45.

[​IMG]

3. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

No doubt that's a great looking cab!
    So what's the deal with the alnicos? Are they special Blues or reskinned in vintage?

4. Pageburst

Pageburst Active Member

I think the silver alnicos are supposed to be just like the blues. And I would have to say these are some of my favorite speakers. To put this into context, I have a a bunch of cabs including a 71 and a 73 with original creambacks (big rib Pulsonic cones), 20 watt g12m pulsonic Greenbacks, though I think they are actually 25 waters. Greybacks g12m 75 and Blackbacks G12m 55hz and they are all different slices of incredible tone. Even the blackbacks which in some iterations can sound a little peaky are smooth, lush and pretty close to perfect. So trust me when I tell you. Once you sufficiently break in those silver alnicos they are an incredible with a jtm45. They even sound great with my late 69 plexi.

5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I must confess that I found Alnico Silvers a bit spiky with my 18w and JTM45. Similarly the blues in my 64 AC30 sound great with the Vox but boxy with the JTM. Maybe my settings but 20 and 25w prerolas sound best to me.

6. CptZar

CptZar Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  7. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

That's one of the 300 reissues marshall did.
    No matter how well you keep something it will age to some degree!

8. Pageburst

Pageburst Active Member

try them with an open back cab.

when I first tried out a pair of alnico blues while not “boxy” per say I didn’t like them. There was this over dominance of midrange energy creating something of a glare that I could not dial out.

I found that once broken in they were revaltory. That thick midrange glare was completely gone. I also found that running a single alnico blue in this particular cabinet (with a ps-2 attenuator) rendered a sound close to perfect. Everything from to Pages singing Sibly solo to Duane’s not my cross to bear honk was easily attainable

Keep in mind the cabinet choice is important here. I tried several cabinets to find one that worked well with a pair of alnicos. Funny that 4x12 offset cab sounded spectacular the moment I plugged into it but I bought it used so maybe rhe speakers had a sufficient break in and the cabinet was tuned for that particular speaker compliment.

All in all I don’t find the blues radically different form the g12m greenbacks I’ve used. The blues or silvers have a little more gravel around the notes, a little more midrange looseness, slightly less honk, a bit more shimmer, and to me like the greenback they are an icon of tone for very good reason.

Bottom line I wouldn’t give up on them so easily, imho you are missing out on a very worthy tonal texture that compliments Marshall every bit as well as Vox.