JTM-45 letters missing on the front panel of JTM-45

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by octoplod, Nov 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. octoplod

octoplod New Member

IMG_3527_b.JPG Hi,
    I am new here and I wonder if anyone can help answer a query I have. I've just bought a brand new 2020 JTM45 2245 and mine does not have JTM-45 written on the front panel (it is written on the back panel). I noticed others do have it on the front. I'm just curious as to why this is.

edited - i have added an image of my JTM-45 and others i have seen have 'JTM-45' written next to the 2 channel.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  2. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

:welcome:........First,...I would say welcome to this great and friendly place!

Second,...I don't know what to say cause I see everywhere on the web,
    clear pictures with the JTM45 on the right ,....did you buy it used ,...are you sure the
    face plate hasen't been swapped maybe because it was broken or something ?

tce63 likes this.
  3. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@octoplod
    :welcome: And does it have the "MK II" insignia on the other side, near the swutches?
    Just Curious?
    Gene

tce63 likes this.
  4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

What does it look like inside?

Kelia likes this.
  5. octoplod

octoplod New Member

Hi,
    thanks for your replies and thanks for welcoming me here.
    It is a brand new head, i bought it a couple of days ago here in the uk from PMT. I registered the serial with marshall and the serial number was recognised as a JTM 45.
    i've added a picture showing that it has 'mk II' on the front and 'JTM 45' on the back panel.
    I have no doubt this is a genuine Marshall amp but I wondered if it indicated some kind of model revision on their part. Or maybe a manufacturing omission. Either way it may help someone in the future if they consider buying one of these used.

thanks again for all your help

IMG_3532 (2).JPG IMG_3533 (2).JPG

Kelia likes this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Either Marshall has decided to omit the JTM45 from the front panel on newer models, or it's a manufacturing flaw (didn't get marked as it should have). Has to be one of those two scenarios.

octoplod and tce63 like this.
  7. octoplod

octoplod New Member

I agree. When you think about it, I've never understood why Marshall writes JTM45 on the front panel when they don't write 1987x or 1959 on the front of those models.
    I've sent an email to Marshall asking about the omission and I'll post what they say.

steveb63 likes this.
  8. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@octoplod
    WOW! :wow: A new guy who actually follows up on his posts? :D You'll get on quite well around here! :cheers: Its a great community around these parts!

You've not yet made any comments on the sounds you're lovin'? :hmm: I guess that means yer busy playin' & tweakin'?

Just My :2c:,
    Gene

9. octoplod

octoplod New Member

Thanks Gene, I got in touch with Marshall and with in an hour their customer service got back to me confirming that there was indeed a mix up in manufacturing. They've offered to collect the amp and replace the front panel free of charge but this is where my dilemma starts - the amp sounds fantastic as it is !!! - it's one of the best Marshall amps I've ever played and I've been playing since the mid 80s (yes I'm old!)
    A front panel change shouldn't effect the tone, I'm guessing they've put 1987x panel on by mistake but I'm wondering whether to ask for a letter of providence and leave the amp as it is so I don't ruin the magic ( and I can't stop playing it ha ha!).

Anyway if any of you guys see a JTM45 with the letters missing on the front panel, I would encourage you to give it a try and if you like it as much as me, you maybe able to talk the retailer into giving you a discount as it is clearly non standard (ha ha!).

10. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I’m sure you are right. Someone put the front panel off a 1987 or 1959 (both the same) by mistake. The spacings on all the vintage reissue front panels are the same.
    The originals (63 to 67) on aluminium chassis are hand drilled and the panels are often ever so slightly off from one amp to the next.

11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Another option, just have them send you the correct front panel, and only install it in the event you damage the existing panel, decide to sell it, or if you really need it to say "JTM-45" on the front. They're not that difficult to replace, using a heat gun (or hair dryer) to remove the old one, clean off the adhesive residue, and stick on the new one. The hardest part is removing the front panel nuts. If it were me, I'd have them send me the correct panel, and just keep it as a spare.

12. dro

dro Well-Known Member

45 (2).JPG
    Play it

13. octoplod

octoplod New Member

@dro I hope that is your front room, it looks awesome !

tce63 likes this.
  14. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Thanks Octo. Yes it is.

tce63 likes this.
  15. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

I'd think that having the email admitting it was a mistake and offering to correct it is sufficient provenance. Print out a copy and keep it with your purchase receipt.

I like oddball mistakes. I think you have a cool and unique amp, and if it was mine I'd keep it as is. Wouldn't hurt to ask for a letter on Marshall's letterhead confirming its authenticity, wouldn't hurt to ask if they could just send you the correct plate to keep with it, but even with just your receipt and the email I'd leave it as-is.

Edgar Frog, Kelia and neikeel like this.
  16. octoplod

octoplod New Member

@RLW59 I usually like the oddball mistakes too, man you should see some of my ex girlfriends.

In the end I decided to let Marshall correct the mistake, you never know in these uncertain times when you may need to raise some cash and I thought it would be the easiest option than trying to explain to a potential buying it was a factory mistake.

I have to say Marshall customer services in the UK have been great and they are picking the amp up tomorrow - no fuss.

@RLW59 @dro @marshallmellowed @neikeel @Gene Ballzz @Chris-in-LA @Kelia I just want to says thanks to all you guys for taking the time to help me out with this / offer suggestions - cheers!

Kelia and steveb63 like this.
  17. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Impressive resolution from the people at Marshall.

That's why we "pay" for the name, they know how to do it.

Especially for the non- original owner, very impressive.

Kelia and tce63 like this.
  18. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

This place is great !! :cheers:

tce63 and steveb63 like this.
  19. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Watch those babies be worth big money someday, you never know. I would keep as is without hesitation. :)

tce63 and steveb63 like this.