>

JTM 1 vs Origin 20 for low volume use

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Coltranetime, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Coltranetime

Coltranetime New Member

Wondering if anyone has compared the JTM 1 50th to the Origin 20c on the low power settings.
    I would guess that the JTM 1 is fuller and more open sounding and that the Origin may be a little anemic but I have not seen or read comparisons.

Thanks.

tce63 likes this.
  2. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Both are good sounding. Sorry, no help but.....

:welcome:

Mitchell Pearrow, fitz288 and tce63 like this.
  3. Markfresh

Markfresh Active Member

Hi, what sort of "low volume" are you looking for?
    The origin is a great amp but even on low power you need to crank the gain and master to get a decent tone, and its loud.
    I cant play mine at night with gain and master over 5 on the dials as my partner can here it from the other side of the house with 2 shut doors in between, and it really needs to be at about 7-8 on the dial for power tube breakup, and decent gain sound.

The way i get around this is i bought a eminence speaker that has a attenuator on the back. (you could also get a standard attenuator box)
    As far as low vol practice during the day its great, except i find it sounds great and even better on mid setting which again is loud , so depends on ur situation.

I cant comment on the JTM as ive never owned one, but also being tube id say it needs to be turned up.

One thing ive learnt from the great people here is if you want low volume out of a tube amp you will probably sacrifice tone.

Even as a pedal platform at low volume it will lack, some people put a OD in front and turn the pedal volume down, but to me your still chasing your tail.

But as i mentioned , at the right level the origin is one of the best sounding versatile amps for the money, just don't expect full distortion out of it.

4. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I have not played a JTM1 but own an Origin20c that I absolutely love.

I did own a DSL1 which I'm sure posses the same volume and characteristics as the JTM1. While it was a fine amp it did need to be LOUD to get the good tone. I also think the 1 watters suffer from using a 12AU7 for a powertube, ever since I owned the DSL1 i can pick up on a certain coloring of the 12AU7, even on demos of JTM1. The Origin20c having 2 EL34s (I run E34LS) has a much more familiar sound, very true old school Marshall.

I wanted a JTM1 so bad since they were announced years ago for the 50th anniversary but could never justify the price. I discovered the Fender Bassbreaker 45 which has EL34s and built in power scaling down to 1 watt... It fulfills the void of not having a JTM1 plus it's nice that the BB45 goes down to 1 watt with EL34s... Cool amp, it gets flak but I'm loving mine! I routinely bounce between my Origin20c on "low" and my Bassbreaker 45 on 1 watt, not low volume perse but definitely more manageable than 20 watts and 45 watts.

Even at 1 watt, including the DSL1, all tube amps need to be LOUD for the goods.

5. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I also have never played a JTM1, but own and love my Origin20H.
    I must have no idea what I'm doing because I think my O20H sounds fantastic on full 20w at any volume with some pedals.
    Putting an EQ (GE-7) pedal in the loop, and some OD (SD-1 or FZ-5) in the front end, and the amp boost on at low volume gives me great tone.
    But I'll also agree that the O20 also sounds fantastic when you can open it up and get the tubes glowing.
    The built in low power settings cut power to the big tubes, and external attenuators cut power to the speaker(s).
    There's no way around the low volume trade offs - every amp sounds better loud.

6. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I don’t understand how this pairing took place in the OP’s mind.

I had a JMP-1. They are loud in a bedroom setting at 1w but (obviously) lack headroom. While I am certain the JTM sounds excellent in its intended tone zone, it literally has a switch (on/off) a volume, and a tone. While potentially “usable” it has less controls than the average guitar, and no acceptable EQ whatsoever, IMO.

You can talk to others about the origin, but I suspect owners of both would be few and far between.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. faerdi

faerdi Member

I am one of the guys who own both amps, so maybe I can answer some of your questions.
    I bought my Origin 20 C right after it became available in 2018 and acquired my JTM1H in 2020.
    When I bought the Origin I was looking for a low wattage (bedroom) Plexi-Style amp, for home use only. It seemed to me that the Origin would fit my needs perfectly, due to its power scaling technology. (I didn't know about the 50th anniversary amps back then. )
    I like my Origin a lot. It looks awesome, has a fair price point and sounds pretty good (very vintage).
    But: Even in its lowest power setting it's still too loud for me and something inside the amp is rattling (I'm guessing the tubes?). And this drives me crazy!
    When I found out about the 1 Watt Series last year I instantly acquired a JTM1C as well as a JMP1C and I absolutely love them!
    No rattling but just pure vintage tube sounds from both the anniversary amps! And thanks to their 0.1 Watt Mode they can do very low volume. They are the perfect bedroom amps, at least for me.
    I guess it's pretty obvious that none of the amps sound exactly like a 100W Plexi though.
    My Origin didn't get much playtime since I acquired the 1 Watters.
    I usually split my guitar signal and play the two 1 Watters or one 1 Watter alongside my SV20H or one of the 1Watters alongside the Origin 20 in dual mono setup and for home use it just sounds glorious . There are differences in volume levels but I own two Tone King Ironman attenuators which help me level the volumes out .

For me neither the JTM1 nor the Origin are the best sounding amps I've ever heard but I like them both and will keep them. Like I mentioned above they both sound very good in dual mono.

The Origin is better suited for gigging, the JTM1 easier to use at home. At least that's my experiences.

8. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have the JTM1C and owned an Origin 20H.

I have all the 50th Anniversary Marshalls. JTM1 JMP1 JCM1 DSL1 JVM1 plus the Offset JTM1. Bought each as they released in 2012. For what i define as bedroom volume i think the 1 watts are the easiest to get by with. There's always the valid argument that more power sounds best but for pure home playing it's the next thing up from a good modeling setup. The Origin is more versatile. Has an effects loop, JTM1 doesn't, and the Origin has more gain and umph. I really hate giving opinions on amps that are this wide ranging power wise because when it comes to debate it's hard to win either way. I don't like a lot of shit tied to my amps. I pick the power needed and use them as they were intended. This is why i have a really good modeling setup, the 50ths and the Studio Series. Those 3 formats cover my needs.

I say get the JTM1. Here's a very good example of what I've done so many times with my 50th collection. Paul has several videos using a JTM1C.

9. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

First, :welcome: to the forum :)

I have, SV20H, SC20H and the JTM-1 Offset version and I used to have the Origin 20C

All of the amp Sounds great, No doubt about that.

At the moment do to the Pandamenic i have all of the amp at home in a apartment.

I have 2 Weber mini Mass 50 one for the the SC20H and one for the SV20H.

90% of the time at home I play the JTM-1 with a 1*12 Greenback Cab in 1w mode, and it sounds fantastic.

If you only will use the amp at home, I would Choose the JTM-1 a fantastic amp.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  10. Coltranetime

Coltranetime New Member

Funny,

I've been waiting for the JTM 1 to come up for sale and on Thursday the combo and the head came up on Reverb.
    Ended up getting the combo for sake of convenience since I will be moving it around a lot.
    I figure I can always plug it into a 12" cab and use it as a head if desired.

I was considering the Origin 20c if a JTM 1c did not come up but I ended up getting what I wanted.

I'm sure it will have mojo to spare and that I will love it. It should compliment my Quilter Mach 2 Pro very nicely.
    Cranked vintage Marshall tone at a volume I can actually use...

Should arrive next week.

Thanks for your help!

11. faerdi

faerdi Member

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy your JTM1! Especially when played through a bigger cab.
    Last night I compared my Origin20 to my JMP1 played through an SV112 cab loaded with a G12-65 speaker (both attenuated to a similar level and using a Gibson SG).
    I hadn't expected a huge difference in sound but to me the JMP1 sounded so much nicer. The Origin sounded pretty dark and kinda lifeless (though treble, presence, tilt, volume and gain were pretty much cranked and bass turned to 0) whereas the little JMP sounded exactely like a mini plexi. Sweet sounding, clear and very dynamic.
    I have to try this again and also with my JTM1, maybe there's something wrong with my Origin...
    Please let us know, how you like your new JTM!

Btw: I'd really consider buying the JTM1H too! They're extremely rare and very sought after.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats !!! :applause:

I know you are going to love it.

Cheers :cheers:

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on a fine amp for low volume..
    Welcome to the forum
    Cheers
    Mitch

scozz and tce63 like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    You are correct, those amps are a thing of great tone even cranked up , with out your ears melting !!
    Cheers
    Mitch

faerdi, scozz and tce63 like this.
  15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

That explains why his tone always sucked so bad, that mojomojo pedal! Great player but his tone sucks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    tce63 likes this.
  16. Coltranetime

Coltranetime New Member

Btw: I'd really consider buying the JTM1H too! They're extremely rare and very sought after.

Yes...if money were not an issue I'd of loved to try both. I actually cancelled the order for the head when the combo came up a few hours later.
    I've had an alnico blue laying around for a couple of years. Time to get a cab and set it all up. I'm sure a blue will sound killer as an extension cab with the JTM 1c.

I appreciate the welcome and advice.

I will let you know what I think once it arrives (but I can tell from all of the clips I've heard that it will be great)

Maggot Brain, tce63, scozz and 2 others like this.
  17. Biff Maloy

Blue is a good choice. I've done that with my Offset JTM1H. I keep a G10 Gold in the combo.

tce63 likes this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats man, and welcome to the Marshall Forum.

tce63 likes this.
  19. Coltranetime

Coltranetime New Member

Biff,

The Alnico G10 Gold fit in the JTM1 combo?
    How does it sound compare to the original speaker and compared to the blue in your cab?
    I think the Gold is rated at 40w...no problem pushing it with the JTM1. Did it make it louder?

Thanks.

tce63 and Maggot Brain like this.
  20. Biff Maloy

No problem with it fitting. It does make the amp a tad louder. The gold is more efficient than the stock G10F-15. The stock speaker isn't bad though for a Greenback vibe.

It's the Alnico difference vs Ceramic. Just sounded more refined overall. Bell like. Keep in mind though a 1 watt amp isn't going to push a speaker. Even the Blue or the G10F being just 15 watts.

I just wanted to get the most out of the small cabinets these come with. A 12 is better because they need that extra umph but the JTM1C sounds great for its size.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.