Jobs Where , when and why ?

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
Telecommunications technician - spent 25 years at one company building and maintaining D.C. electrical power plants, then moved into electronic switch systems. (5ESS) Took a buyout and retired from that company and started at my current job where I’m more customer facing troubleshooting Cisco router and switch issues, wireless AP’s, modems etc
I love what I do because every day is different. Earlier today I was working in a hotel, tomorrow a bank, and so on. I meet a lot of people and generally everyone is friendly. I generally work by myself but I can have help if I need it, it’s only a phone call away for another tech to come assist.

Last edited:

steveb63

Reaction score
Civil Engineer, I enjoy it.

We do a lot of traffic-related engineering, e.g. traffic studies, intersection design, traffic signal design. We also do land development; i.e. when a new warehouse or shopping center or convenience store is built, we do the site design work like site layout, water and sewer design, stormwater runoff design, parking lot design, etc. and also handle stuff like government permits for the developer. We then draw up the plans (blueprints) on the computer for submission to various gov't agencies and for construction.

When people ask what I do, and I say civil engineer, most have no clue whatsoever what the hell it even is, so that's why I gave a brief description, lol.
We design civilization.
To put it simply.

Retired from a C.E. Company after 30 + years, I was their Surveyor.

nickfox

Reaction score
Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
C'mon dudes. It's a thread about how we make a living. Do we have to bring political, racial or other bullshit into it? Can't we have one fucking thread that is just what the title implies?
this...

I cleaned up the thread, let's keep it on topic. We don't need racially inciting stuff in here. That's the kind of stuff that will get one booted, if they keep it up...

Adieu

Reaction score
I am a plumber and also work on mechanical systems for any system that uses water. This is a heat exchange portion of a chiller system for several MRI's in a hospital.

View attachment 101346

Is there some method to this madness or is it as improvised from whatever cuts were on hand as it looks?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
What is it with California and siding that looks positively ancient right out the box? Is it intentional?
I really don’t know, but it is a look that isn’t stuco, in Big Bear about 60 miles from where I live, my son and I did a cabin with what looks like log siding, that came out very good looking to me. Had to furr out the trim, so it would protrude further out than the siding, then we rebuilt his deck with trex material.
Cheers

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carpet laying ? . Looks good !
The shelf on that fireplace needs to be a few inches higher , that would bug me . But the stonework looks amazing if that was you .
Carpet laying?? Lol..no..no carpet there yet...Didn't read the whole thread huh? Lol. Yes I do the stone work, see a few posts above. Thanks for the compliment!

The mantle was already installed on the sheeting before I did the stone, but yea, I'm not a fan of the bright white wood, I woulda did an Indiana limestone mantle if it was up to me but thats what the lady wanted, so thats what the carpenter put up.