JMP 2203 100W MV Problem..

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by GibsonSgSpecial, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM.

1. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

So I just scored a Marshall JMP 100W MV and just got it today and I play guitar in my shed, I got this amp from a vintage guitar/amp shop from the UK, I live in the US but the dude said the amp tech serviced and replaced the tubes and all that, the house wiring runs from the main breaker box to my shed, the wiring runs about 80-100 feet maybe.. and I’m kind of thinking it isn’t getting enough power but I could be wrong, it could be the amp itself, the amp sounds like it’s at 15-20 watts with the MV and pre-amp cranked at FULL volume, it sounds amazing though but is it volume loss or no? I also have a Marshall Origin 50W combo out in the shed and I can crank it at full volume and I have no issues with it at all?

tce63 likes this.
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It should be incredibly loud. What's your speaker cabinet? Got any volume issues with that same cabinet with a different amp?

If the amp's output is low, the first thing to check for is ensure that it's set for the right voltage. In the UK the mains voltage is 240 volts, and you HAVE to reconfigure the amp for 120 volt power assuming that you are plugged into 120 volts. If there's a line voltage selector on the back of the amp chassis, set it to 120 volts. (Your local line voltage.) If it was set to 240, that could well have been the problem.

If there's no line voltage selector on the back, take it to your local amp tech and have him make the internal jumper wire change required to set it to 120 volts.

South Park and Sustainium like this.
  3. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

The cabinet is a 4x12 with 2 G12-65s and 2 greenbacks making it 180 watts total I'm assuming, I don’t have any problems with it, it’s a brand new cab, I used it with the Origin 50W, but I don’t see no line selector for the voltage, there is a line selector for the ohms, is there any way I could just buy a line selector or take it to an amp tech like you said? As you can tell, I have no knowledge at all, haha. Thanks for telling me..

tce63 likes this.
  4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Almost all Marshalls have a voltage selector on the back as well as an impedance selector. We need pics.

7B800B46-14EB-4A06-AB00-4ABA7FC526B7.jpeg

GibsonSgSpecial likes this.
  5. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

Mine has the pinhole style selectors, here is some pics.

Attached Files:

6. Chris-in-LA

That’s an old school mains selector, the thing that makes it adjustable is missing. The amp is probably hard-wired for 220. Your amp tech can wire it for 120. All the necessary wires are probably there inside.

7. Chris-in-LA

Oh, your tech can probably also fit in a replacement selector, too, if that’s what you want.

8. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it, I messaged the seller asking if the amp has been hardwired by any chance, if not, then I can probably just order the adjustable selector thing lol

9. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

I also don’t have any amp techs close by to me which is bad because I live in the middle of no where lol, I’d probably have to drive like 100-120 miles to an amp tech.

10. Chris-in-LA

It has to be hardwired, the two selectors should both have that thing with the pins on it. That has to be there to complete the circuit. I’ve heard that they can fall out so some guys just solder the wires inside. It’s a simple fix for any tech who’s familiar with Marshall amps.

GibsonSgSpecial likes this.
  11. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

Right, I’ve done a little soldering but don’t wanna risk tearing the amp all to hell, haha. I’m waiting on the seller to message back if it’s like that or not, I'd hate to drive so far to an amp tech to get something so simple to fix but I guess I’d have to get it over with lol

12. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Inside there will be a short wire link on the back of the selector from middle lug to the 240v lug (usually a violet wire) you need to move it to the 120v lug (which i am pretty sure is red -assuming the PT is original )
    Very easy to do and low risk of doing any damage.

13. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

No, not "almost all" Marshalls have the line voltage selector plug. Based on the many replacement back panels I've sold so far, units without the line voltage selector have been outselling the ones with the line voltage selector about 5 to 1. Of my own Marshall collection, five heads, none of them has it.

GibsonSgSpecial and tce63 like this.
  14. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Voltage selection on JMPs is internal, not switched from the back panel

Sustainium, GibsonSgSpecial and tce63 like this.
  15. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

Hey, little update, I got a message from that seller and he also says that it’s internally wired to 240v, I'm also thinking about doing a little work later today to get it wired to 120v, thank you all for the help!

tce63 and Chris-in-LA like this.
  16. Chris-in-LA

But OP’s seems to have the external switch according to the pics he posted.

AlvisX and tce63 like this.
  17. Chris-in-LA

If you want help with the wiring, post some pic of the insides, especially the area near the old mains switch and the power transformer.

GibsonSgSpecial and tce63 like this.
  18. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

If you know how to solder more or less, I'm sure with the guidance of these nice people here on the forum you can do it by yourself. Its only a small job. Just provide the pics and you'll see that it'll be an easy fix. The heaters of your tubes dont see enough voltage so probably not so good to use the amp like this

GibsonSgSpecial, tce63 and neikeel like this.
  19. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

Hey guys I'm getting ready to start taking the chassis out, I just got home from work but I will post pics of what’s gonna happen lol so some of you can help me through it, I’ve only soldered several times in high school and soldered some on my guitars, that’s about it, so it may not be the best, wish me luck lol

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:42 PM
  20. william vogel

william vogel Active Member

Once you get it running on 120 volts, you’re going to need a chin strap for your hat. It should be an easy wire fix.

Sustainium and GibsonSgSpecial like this.