JMD1 Questions, Buy Advice, Price Check

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by brp, Sep 11, 2013.

1. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Good morning JMD fans (and critics if any)

I've been looking for a combo to simplify and lighten band practice shuttling and have the chance at EITHER a JMD 501 1x12 OR the 201 2x12 combos.
    I have some questions:
    • What was the original price of the 1x12 combo?
    • What would you consider a great used price w/footswitch, great condition etc. ?
    • What speaker, including ohm rating is in the combo?
    • what dollar amount difference do you think there should be between the used 1x12 and 2x12 combos? i.e. 2x12 should be no more than $200 more used than the 1x12 etc.

I know some will say to lean to the 2x12 100watter, but the thing is I'm trying to down size. I already move a large 2x12 back n' forth and small lunchbox amp to practice and I might as well just continue to use that if I'm going to have a 2x12. BUT if I can get the 2x12 for only a small amount more than the 1x12 it seems foolish to not buy the bigger one and get more bang for the same buck, so I'm open to that as well, although like I said, size is an important deciding factor here too.

I have other questions but I'll leave it at that for one post.

Otherwise, anyone want to chime in with a testimonial or criticism of the JMD in any way, please do!
    Especially interested in anyone's negative impressions of the channel switching and how they feel the models stack up to their intended real versions, i.e. does the 2203 model really sound like your 2203 etc.
    Thanks for any and all input.

2. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Crap. lots of NEW Marshall AMP INFO ANNOUNCED AND/OR LEAKED,
    I picked the wrong couple of days to be looking for used JMD advice it would seem :ugh:

[​IMG]

3. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

I just picked up a JMD102 100W 2x12 combo. It's waaaaay lighter than the JCM800 50W 2x12 combo I owned.

Did I mention that it kicks ass? :cool:

This is the amp for small venues and quick practice. Simply amazing.

brp likes this.
  4. SpiritOfTheAge

SpiritOfTheAge New Member

only in so much as I paid £350 for my 50 watt head second hand and I think it was a fine price, but one retailer was blowing them out for that new recently. Ive seen heads go for as little as £125, right now on ebay UK there are a couple of 1x12 combos going for £250 and £299.

I love my JMD head. Gives me great tones and incredible flexibility. For me it's just the ticket, does it all from pristine clean, through hairy clean and crunchy overdrive to full on crushing mayhem, with treble and bass and mids to spare

The amp seems very sensitive to the guitar being used.

As for how realistic the various models are, I couldn't really say as Ive not owned or played most of the amps it attempts to emulate, but what I can say is there are so many great tones this amp is capable of you will surely find something you can use that will put a big smile on your face.

I was getting some very plausible Hendrix wind cries Mary hairy cleans earlier from my yamaha pacifica 604 on the neck pickup, and seconds later thick creamy violin type sustain with a Les Paul clone, then a quick flick of the amps settings and I was in Led Zep territory blasting out the solo from Communication break down.

brp and Georgiatec like this.
  5. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Thanks, great to hear!
    Do you mind telling me what you paid? You can PM if you'd rather.
    There's a 102 locally available asking $750 and a 1x12 asking $500.... torn here...

6. MKB

MKB Well-Known Member

Probably your best bet in researching prices is to do a ebay completed listings search.

One consideration with a new 100W combo is the cabs do not seem to hold up well to transport. There have been a ton of combos with crushed cabs, Musicians Friend alone had around 12 of them on their web site at one time. The heads and 50W combo seem to hold up a bit better however.

I've been gigging with a 50W combo for over two years now, and am very happy with it. It was bought with cracked tolex on the front edge (indicates wood movement), but has held up well with all my gigging.

If the 50W combo is loud enough for your needs, that might be the way to go, all things considered. BTW the 100W heads are very loud; my 100W head measured 133W at clipping with factory tubes and bias setting. The 50W combo puts out around 48W at clipping.

brp likes this.
  7. The Ozzk

I lucked out... I paid $600 for the 100W 2x12 in pristine condition. Average price in my neck of the wood for those is $800 IF THEY EVER SHOW UP!

There is one head listed here in Calgary for $1300. Too much, but these amps are not easy to come by.

I would pick the 100W. The way I see it, it's like an old JMP-1 pre-amp with a tube 100W power amp. The bigger the power amp the better.

In my opinion (ducking here) the pre on the JMD is better than the JMP-1. and on top of that a 100W tube power amp and 2x12's for under a grand. Killer deal. :cool: Just my opinion though...

FWIW, I was completely blown away by the tone. AMAZING.

8. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Very good to hear, especially considering the amps you own to compare to.

It seems the local listings I'm looking at are fair then.

I did do a sold & completed listing search on ebay, which I always do when looking at prices and buying used but there's not much for 1x12 combos on there right now, only one that was sold at best offer (somewhere under 650).
    But there's a few 2x12 for around 550-650 which made me think the 1x12 at $500 might be a bit higher than it should be.

I really don't think I need nor would prefer the 2x12/100 watt for neither loudness or portability concerns.
    Thanks a lot, Ozz and MKB, very helpful input indeed....
    Your glowing tone endorsements mean I will very likely pull the trigger and own one very soon.

The Ozzk likes this.
  9. brp

brp Well-Known Member

How's the channel switching been for you guys? Seamless?

With the foot board and/or 4 onboard buttons?

10. The Ozzk

I haven't notice anything out of the ordinary. It works fine to me. No issues, it does what it's supposed to do. Read the manual though, there is a lot you can do with the footswitch. I'm still trying to figure out what approach I'll follow.

- 6 different tones
    - 4 tones and 2 functions (delay and mod maybe)
    - or 28 different presets

:hmm:

11. brp

brp Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this for me.

I'm a manual reader, I've been perusing it.
    Haven't learned up yet on whether you can use the MIDI simultaneously with the stock footboard, but if so that would be quite handy.

12. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I've not really got enough play time on mine (50 watt head) to fully understand the potential of the amp, but from what I already know that potential is massive. Prices over here 2nd hand will be rock bottom at the moment due to two of the major retailers knocking them out at half price...mine was £399 brand new to my door. I got the head instead of the combo 'coz I already own plenty of cabs. The 501 comes with a G12 70MD...whatever that is. I know it would end up on ebay with either a V30, G12 65 or maybe a creamback in the amp.
    I'm yet to try this set up below. By the time I had everything set up to see what it looked like the kids were home from school and I had stuff to do. The plan is to put the JCM1 (in 0.1w mode) into the FX return of the JMD and give it an all valve channel using the JCM1 as the pre-amp. :yesway:
    [​IMG]

diesect20022000 and brp like this.
  13. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Active Member

Sorry to get to this thread a bit late, i've been busy upsetting cork-sniffers in another thread.

The JMD 501 has been my main gigging amp for well over a year now.

Absolutely superb amp - made my "flagship" Satch JVM redundant !

Replaced the stock speaker with a V30 and sits on top of a 1936 for extra depth.

Only use three channels of the 16 - 1 JVM clean, 6 JCM800 and 15 boosted DSL.

Bad Monkey on all the time on all channels ! Gain 0 output max.

14. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Thanks, Guys.
    Anyone remember what the ohm rating is on the 501's stock speaker?
    Wondering if I can run a 1x12 16ohm extension cab along with the internal...
    I guess I could replace the stock with a 16ohm IF it's 8.

15. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    I have the 100 watt head and I can only say it is absolutely amazing. Switching channels whether thru the footswitch or the 4 buttons is seamless with zero pop. I have mine set as 7 different amps, one for each bank. Within each bank I have that particular amp model as clean, hairy, crunch from hell and searing lead with FX. I absolutely love it.

16. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Pretty sure it will be a 16ohm...every other valve combo 1 x 12 Marshall do/did has a 16ohm speaker standard, with the 2 x 12's 8ohm (2 x 16ohm in parallel). :hmm:

17. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I was assuming too. Thanks.
    It would really throw a wrench in the ext. speaker outs that it features if it came with an 8ohm but I couldn't confirm this as of yet.
    They've done other things that make you go :scratch:

18. brp

brp Well-Known Member

So it seems like no one here is scoffing at $500 and that seems like a fair price (he says it's mint w/ footswitch),
    So it looks like I may have a NAD thread coming up....

Gotta wait til the guy can meet up, he's a jazz player and has lots of gigs this weekend, I want to demo it at his house so I may have to wait until next week before we can arrange a mutual doable time....

You guys got me excited....

GAS...

The Ozzk likes this.
  19. The Ozzk

Wait till you try it... You'll go from excited to believer! :naughty:

20. brp

brp Well-Known Member

What does the 12AX7 do in the JMD?
    Is it V1 gain stage or something else?