Jimmy Page Plexi Input.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Mark Collier, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I always run a 4 holer jumpered. I like to warm up the bottom end a little. I also run the presence at 0 and keep the treble below 7 at all times. My hearing is still quite good and sensitive in the treble range so I want to keep it that way, and avoid running the treble high enough to annoy me.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  2. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Absolutely!

I remember being very disappointed upon my first listen to "the song remains the same"

Bonham and Jones sounded great but Page's guitar sound was screechy, brittle and hard as a plank. His fearless, inspired but sloppy execution exacerbated the effect. I have always thought he would have benefitted greatly from using amps dialed in more along the lines of Iommi's live rigs. More body, less splintering glass, and more forgiving of a hapless axe slinger.

(And I'm only referring to his live sound here. I truly love a lot of the sounds he got in the studio...but that's another topic)

dro and Sustainium like this.
  3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Shows how subjective this stuff is—Page’s guitar tone in TSRTS is the absolute benchmark for Marshall rock guitar tone IMO. Iommi started a genre and has my respect but I personally can’t stand the sludge. He lost me after the first 2 Sabbath albums.

4. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

Sorry brutha, in my head it sounded more like
    The song, just playing off the "jump-er" thing. So ......go aheaa-ed and ju-uump.

jimmyjames likes this.
  5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Yep, "Ow Ow, hey you! Who said that? Baby how ya been?" [​IMG]

6. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

He reveals he recorded with Vox amps on an interview from this year

While promoting his new Anthology photo book, Jimmy Page has detailed the guitar amp rigs that fueled Led Zeppelin’s earliest albums – including the setup he used for Whole Lotta Love.

During an exclusive, in-depth interview with Total Guitar’s Chris Bird, Page discussed how his transition from Fender Telecaster to Gibson Les Paul inspired his change in amp rigs.

“The amplifier on the first [Led Zeppelin] album is the Supro [Coronado 1690T] amplifier,” he confirms. “It fits great with the Telecaster, but with the Gibson [Les Paul] it was a really overdriven sound, right? And when I started doing studio work, I realized that that was a bit too radical for them at the time.

“So I got what everyone else was getting, so that psychologically it looked right, which was a Burns amplifier, which I had during the studio days. But when Paul Samwell-Smith left the [Yardbirds], he left his equipment behind – the [Vox] amplifier heads. I know them as Super Beatles.

“The way that I heard about those amplifiers was The Beatles had them because they couldn’t hear their instruments over all the screaming, so they wanted louder amplifiers, and Vox duly obliged.”

Page then reveals that the amp you’re really hearing on one of Zeppelin’s most iconic hits is, in fact, the same amp the Fab Four had been using for their larger tours.

“I was using the Super Beatle amps with the [Rickenbacker] Transonic cabinets,” he recalls. “That’s exactly what’s on Whole Lotta Love.”

It was only once the band began to tour more intensely that Page switched to his iconic Marshall setup – primarily because it was easier to get hold of replacement gear.

“By the time we get to 1969, we’ve got so much work ahead of us, and the road manager is getting really, really nervous about the amplifier going down and not getting a replacement,” Page reflects.
    “So they’re saying, well, everybody else has got Marshalls, so I went to Hiwatt [Custom 100s] before I went to the Marshalls. But then I did go to Marshall because what they’d said was absolutely true – if it broke down somewhere you’d be able to find a shop that would have one.

“Once I’d done the second album, the Marshall is being used by the end of those tracks [recorded] in New York. I got those during that ’69 tour. So maybe Heartbreaker was done on a Marshall. And that’s how it stayed, with the Marshall cabinet all the way through.”

Mark Collier likes this.
  7. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’ve always enjoyed Led Zeppelin, but I’m like you, never really cared for Pages’ guitar tone.

Now that I think about it, there are a few bands I feel that way about. One was Grand Funk (Railroad), loved their music and their raw energy, but Mark Farners guitar tone has always left something to be desire.

Actually, it left a lot to be desired imo, the worst guitar tone I’ve ever heard from a professional big time band.

Eastman guitar and West amps in their early years, I don’t know which, (if either), is the culprit. Apparently they (GFR), liked it though.

9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

You probably still need that SV to get many of the live tones and probably some of the recorded tones, but many of the recorded tones i can see the Vox.

Mark Collier likes this.
  10. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

i only use the upper the left plug on my JTM45.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I don't see any problem w/ the tone here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2274yr0qlzxu6t/Since I've Been Lovin' You.flac?dl=0

Although, if you compress it to mp3, it loses a lot of it's sheen. I have it converted to the highest quality mp3 & it doesn't even sound the same.

this is direct from the Blu-Ray, converted to CD spec. But, is sounds totally different than the soundtrack. Much better, IMO. Even the vocals...

tallcoolone and RCM 800 like this.
  12. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

Don't forget a lot of that sharp attack, picky sound described is on purpose and done with the rough surface of the Dunlop (?) picks he used.

Something I like to do a lot as well.

13. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

This is awesome thank you!

Guitar tone sounds freaking awesome on it.

tallcoolone and Dogs of Doom like this.
  14. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Just an observation. His amps were not stock as well. It is very possible the could've been jumped internally. To save from having to dick with a cable that may or may not work on any given day. Or not. No matter really. Myself I like jumping my JTM45. Makes setup in multiple venues a breeze. Some rooms are overly bassy, some have no bass at all. Just a small tweak of two knobs, and I'm golden.

15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I read an interview with Tony Iommy. Where he said, his amps sound like crap in the US.
    Runs them on 240 in Europe and they sound great. but the 110 in US doesn't cut it.
    In todays world there are transformers that allow artist's to dial in the exact voltage. IE the KIKUSUI as per Angus Young rig rundown. Not sure they were doing that back in '73 which is when that show was filmed. Just sayin.

Trelwheen likes this.
  16. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

First band I was ever in (playing bass) the guitarist had a Vox Super Beatle. Always sounded great. I did a Zep tribute for a while as I've said before. I'm tempted to say that for a talented guy with a couple of 50s LPs and access to anything going his sound was pretty shit really. There are moments of brilliance - one of my faves is when he plays the black beauty on bring it on home on the double DVD - just tone to die for. Others times it's just harsh, one dimensional, brittle and nothing like how you expect a 50s LP to sound. Maybe he fucked them up with all the rewiring - who knows?
    He has written some darned good songs though. And some riffs that define what a riff ought to be. As to Zep sometimes some guys get together and play and somehow an energy develops that can't be defined, bottled or recreated. Zep was one of those bands. If I could do the same I would. Have to give Bonzo a big hand too.

Mark Collier and harleytech like this.
  17. juniorhifikit

juniorhifikit New Member

I have a feeling that Page used any manner of gear in the studio, even going direct. Live, it sounds like a stock Marshall to me. I have a 72 Super Bass - sometimes I jumper the channels, sometimes I don't. I've been having a bit of fun trying to recreate Jimmy Page tones with amp sim's lately:

Mark Collier likes this.
  18. L.A. Nights

L.A. Nights New Member

:uk:
    This image is not from Madison Square Garden, circa 1973; but rather, the ‘behind the scenes’ pre-exhibit photo shoot at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York ― in March, 2019. LOL! :uk::mods::thumb::funny:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  19. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

I stand to be corrected but this is the blurb on the photo in the magazine. Does it change the point?

Screenshot 2020-11-26 124228.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    L.A. Nights likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

looks like a 2 page spread, w/ 1 page missing...

[​IMG]

Mark Collier likes this.