Jcm800 Studio Classic Combo,...how Many Guys Have Em’

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I haven’t seen many posts about the 10” Studio Classic combos, I am curious to know how many guys have them and how they like them?

I probably wouldn’t even post a thread like this if they came with a 12” speaker, but that 10” has me wondering,....

2. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

.. well...I don't know.... but do people seriously think Marshall listened and did exactly what people asked for for years with the studio amps, then thought to themselves..."now, how do we make these suck?".. I'd say give the 10 a chans and a listen before you dismiss it
    J

3. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

As they are only new it wont be long before all sorts of mods are suggested including 12" speaker and thousands of opinions on which one. Be patient or be the first I guess.

4. SGFA

SGFA Active Member

Honestly I don't get this hate for the 10" speaker. I have a 10" Celestion I use at home with my 2555X and I don't see much problems. Of course a single speaker will never do the same as an half stack or even a 2 speaker set.

5. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

If these combos will sell like hotcakes (and actually it seems they do), then there will be aftermarket front baffles available for exchange with a hole for 12" speakers - like those you can buy for a Fender Princeton.

But in this small cab, I guess a 10" sounds better.

6. scozz

I don’t think it’s hate for 10” speakers, I think that most folks prefer a 12” speaker in a one speaker combo. I also think most folks expect it at this price point.

Generally speaking a 12” is a fuller sounding speaker with a bigger bottom end that a 10. It’s just the inherent difference in the size,....at least it always has been.

I haven’t played one so I don’t really know, maybe the 10 sounds great in this amp. But I think lots of people, when they hear,...’new JCM800 Studio 20 watt combo,...with a 10” Celestion’ think ‘What’,...10”,....meh,...I know I do.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think so.

cherrysunburst00, Len and rich88uk like this.
  7. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Even if a mod is done to incorporate a 12 it is still a small speaker box. The only way to do it right is to build a new and bigger enclosure. With having a head option for matching any cab to it I don't understand why so many beat the subject to death or go to the trouble of modifying a combo. Just get the head.

Like mentioned above, I like 10s in the right situation. This seems to be Marshall's thought on these combos. They're for the player that has the need for a great sounding amp that is not going to stomp all over the rest of the band where volume is going to be a serious issue. Just my guess and I don't want those. I'll be getting the heads.

8. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

I sort of wish I got the SV combo instead of the head in one way. I would have had the option of portablility and could allways plug into larger cabs if needed. A 10" in the combo makes more sense with the options. JMO.

9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

thats why I have the combo so I can take it to my girls house and rock it:) its a sweet amp!

10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

That's what you do when you go over to the girl's house...?? :D:hmm:

11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Maybe that’s part of their foreplay :hmm::naughty:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  12. MarshallDog

I know exactly how you feel. So, I just bought the SV20 combo and I will be able to test it out. If I don’t like it I will send it back. They do sound great in the demo vids I have heard so fingers crossed plus no one that owns one is complaining about the 10 incher!

I also ordered up a G10 Greenback for it to try. I simply love Green and Creambacks so I’m going for it!

Dave from Avartar Speakers said there’s very little to no noticeable difference between the tone of a 10” and 12” Greenback...I guess I will see.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Gaz Baker, ken361, tce63 and 3 others like this.
  13. scozz

I’m with you Dog, I love Greenbacks and Creambacks,....hope it works out for you. :thumb:

I was thinking about the Celestion G10 Gold Alnico as a possible replacement for a 20 watt Marshall combo I’ve got. I haven’t heard them though.

14. MarshallDog

Hmmm, not familiar with those speakers at all. What is making consider the G10 Gold Alnico?

tce63 likes this.
  15. scozz

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  16. scozz

I’ve heard it has a more open, bigger sound,....comparable to a 12” speaker.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  17. MarshallDog

I see! Please get one and test her out for us :D

Gaz Baker and tce63 like this.
  18. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

I’ve been thinking about getting the SC20 combo myself for basically use in my basement; but wasn’t sure if it would hold up with a band with that 10” speaker. My Buddies and I occasionally jam and I would love the option of being able to use this amp in that situation if I wanted to. Right now I have a JVM205H w/ a 1936 and the DSL40CR that covers me when we jam...although it’s usually the 40CR that I use.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. MarshallDog

This amp will have to keep up in a band environment or it will be shipping back...

Tbomb and tce63 like this.
  20. Spiro Mandylor

Spiro Mandylor New Member

I had my JCM800 Studio Combo cut to fit a 12” Celestion Vinatge 30. Sounds so much better now. Has anyone tired putting a Greenback in?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020