JCM800.... How do you use yours?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ShatteredVitreous, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Greg70

Greg70 Member

I haven't tried that using an AB switcher, but on my 2203 I have found that I need to adjust the master volume when going between the two inputs to maintain a similar volume level. On the low level input I can easily have the master on 2 and not disturb the wife. If I move to the high input and leave the master on 2, I'll be sleeping on the couch that night.

OriginOfTheSpecies likes this.
  2. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Strat or LP into Echoplex tape delay into JTM45 with a little Tube Screamer on the side. Guitar is my master volume. In a full band context, that takes care of everything up to Kurt Cobain.

3. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I’m hearing that cannot be done as the inputs are cascaded and one disconnects the other. I’m thinking that trick might work with a 4-holer.

4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Correct. Without modding the amp it cannot be done. Yes it can with mods if that's your thing. The volume difference would make it pointless IMO. But with an AB switcher, nope.

OriginOfTheSpecies likes this.
  5. headcrash

headcrash Well-Known Member

I don't own a 2203/2204 JCM 800, but I really, really like the tone of Jon Hudson of Faith No More, live as well as in the studio.
    He uses a Boss GE 10 to boost his 2203 by raising the overall level of the pedal, and also sets two bands in the mid frequencies for a slight mid boost. He sounds phenomenal.
    Just listen to their last release Sol Invictus from 2015, or the live recordings of the accompanying tour, e.g. the Hellfest live shows.

6. turfdoc

turfdoc New Member

When my house gets stuffy, I set mine on 10 and blow out the windows....