Jcm800 2205 tubes

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Petejax1234, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Ok so been told by the amp tech that the pre amp tubes in my 86 2205 are basically crap and need changing. I had one go down and the amp tech replaced it with a new jj.
    So wondering if anybody has been happy with there amp by putting all JJ tubes in or Tungsol as apposed to a variety of different tubes. Currently it has all different stuff in there that I’ve never heard of. The clean channel actually sounds really nice and don’t want to lose that. many advice appreciated
    Thanks

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

What kind are in there now? Could be crap, could not be. Do you like the sound of it? In both channels?

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  3. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Harma, I think a Chinese valve and some other unnamed valves. I love the sound of the clean channel and the reverb but the dirty side is very woolly sounding and definitely could be better.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Keep all those old tubes . Unless you test those tubes you can not tell if still good . jj tubes are the same as all the rest

5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ok. Be nice to maybe even see pics, they could be decent tubes. Many people find JJs to be rather dark sounding tubes so not sure it would be a replacement you might want. Leave in the clean channel tube which I believe is V1.
    Sounds like most Harma tubes are JJs, some are Tung sol. So you are already half way there. Chinese ones can be noisy but can have high gain. My 6101 sounds great with Chinese tubes.
    Not sure where to start with current tubes to get less wooly. Be nice to know what the other unmarked ones are.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  6. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I’ve had all JJ’s in a few amps after bringing mine home from a tech. They don’t sound that much different than anything else they sell these days.

Petejax1234 and tce63 like this.
  7. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Active Member

In my 2210 I had an i61 mullard in v1 a bel labs(mullard) in v2 sylvania long grey pinch plates in v3 and v5 and a ge longplate in v4......later changed the sylvania out for rft but had to sell it right after. I had shuaguang el34b for power tubes sounded sweet.

Petejax1234 likes this.
  8. em07189

em07189 Member

For preamp tubes try the new jj E83cc not the regular ECC83s.

Try also to find the 12ax7 Electro harmonix with the getter shape like in the attached picture, this are no longer manufactured but there is some shops still selling it, this ones are better than the new ones.

Attached Files:

9. em07189

em07189 Member

Also the sovtek 12ax7WB is a good tube for Marshall amps.

10. Eddie78

Eddie78 Member

I have a Marshall 2210, when I bought It I put all JJ's in preamp section, but some months later I found a local store that had for selling some nos RFT 12AX7 tubes. I bought 5 of them and checked sound on my Marshall.. result? I sell all RFT's and returned to JJ! Marshall 2210/2205 are bright voiced, JJ helps to "keep calm" high frequency, in my opinion!