Jcm800 2203x halfstack at home?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by SloeGin, Oct 22, 2021.

1. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

If you liked it get it before it’s gone. Good amps don’t wait for you.

2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I mostly play at home and have several 100 & 50 watt Marshalls into way too many cabs. Serious collecting and trial by fire has ended with them out of 17 [so far] contenders. Why? Because. Period. Full Stop. I like them at any volume better than any of the small or large amps who went on to other happy homes. The few times I get to crank 'em they are the righteous sound of God sound I grew up with.

Buy them right and they're an investment that you get to use.

Russ

3. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Playing my SC20 through the matching 2x12 is no slouch. Not really that far off from my 4x12 Mesa, especially having swapped in a V30 on the bottom paired with the stock V-Type on top.

0693AC1C-AAE2-4F4F-B23E-49FF505BB0D1.jpeg

4. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

5. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Yes, you are a lucky guy. That sounds like a dream come true!

6. Old Punker

Yeah my SC20H sounds really nice through my SC212 as well. Do you find the V30 makes much of a difference over the stock configuration?

I will be getting a Mesa 2x12 Rectifier (horizontal) cab soon with V30's. I will probably try my SC20H with that as well. I'm thinking it'll probably sound pretty good.

7. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Yea big difference. Much more agressive without being harsh. V30 blends nicely with the V-Type.

8. Old Punker

You just gave me an idea...once I get my new Mesa cab I can take advantage of the twin 8 ohm outputs on the SC20H and run two 2x12 cabs, one with V30's and the other with the V-Type. Only potential danger (besides adding to my hearing issues) is pissing off the neighbors.

9. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I've broken a window with 50W. My dad was sort of displeased and impressed at once... :rofl:

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

It doesnt have to make sense, you only live once get it. :yesway:

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

I had the same experience. So I bought the amp. But it is extremely loud. And I live in an apartment. If you have your own home you may be able to get away with it. A Vintage 30 or Greenback 4x12 may be more forgiving as far as volume goes. But still it's going to be loud. If you could play it outdoors during the summer that may be nice. I don' think you would need an attenuator there. My 2203X amp has a nice classic rock sound. But if I could I'd sell it in a heartbeat. It's so loud it's almost unusable. If you like clean it does have a nice clean channel.

12. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

What amp do you want instead?

13. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

In my jam space theres 4 100 watt heads
    2203x jcm 800
    4100 jcm 900
    Dsl
    Tsl
    At the moment im running the 2203x and blink is running a jj jr. These amps mix well and volume isnt to loud. The 2203x volume is set to maybe 3 on the dial or 10:00. It doesnt take max volume to get great tones if set properly. An attenuator isnt necessary in my opinion but i have no neighbors so i cant say anything for living in the city.
    Its surprising that the 2203x and the jj jr mix as well as they do with the jj at 20 watt against 100 watts and the jj still has some head room left to go.
    Heres a live recording that we did a while back to show the mingle.

14. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Of course.It is a MV amp.Save your money,no attenuatot needed.These things sound just great on 1.

15. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

:jam::hbang::band::headbanger:

16. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Why yes...yes it does.:eddie:

Doooo eet!:D

17. ichocobo

ichocobo Member

So you prefer the 100w at 1.5 over the 20w cranked? I assume you're using same cab, don't you?
    I wish I could do an a/b with a 50w plexi vs the sv20h...

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Nmoc strat

Nmoc strat Active Member

Why not a SC20H with a 1960 4x12?

Thats what I have, just play home too, the 2203 was my favorite Amp too, but it was too much for home, it was like having a tiger locked on a Cage. So, the SC20H was perfect, same Amp, and I've kept the 1960 4x12, I've bougth used some years ago, and served various other Amp heads before.

Old Punker likes this.
  19. Noam Bukowski

Noam Bukowski Member

I'd also go with a SC20H and a GOOD cab. Not necessarily a 4x12 cab thoug, a good 1x12 would do the trick at home.

A couple other options (might've been mensioned already, dunno): an older JCM 800 combo. They're gonna sound slightly different than your current 2203, but for all you know you like 'em just as much. Or you could try out a 2525c. Never tried one personally, but I used to have one of the original Jubilee heads back in the day, it could be dialed for 2203 type tones easily.

I'd strongly advice against attenuators. Just get the amp that has the right power for your situation. If you're gonna play that amp nearly cranked almost every day and choke it all the way down, there's a real risk of frying your OT or if you're lucky just your attenuator. And if you're picky about your tone, like we all are, you don't want to make any compromises using an attenuator, which in the end will do nothing but mimmick your amp's cranked tone. A good reactive load attenuator isn't cheap eather, impo it makes more sense to put that money towards a killer home amp that outperforms the 2203 in everyway except for power.

Old Punker likes this.
  20. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

for completeness and balance to the thread,..I would strongly advise FOR attenuators.. (lol)

imo, at the identical spl with identical settings through the identical cab the 100W amp will jsut sound better than its 50W or 20W "equivalent" - and while at low bedroom levels unattenuated it may not be super obvious, the higher the spl, the more obvious it gets - its like 11.

The best $1200 i ever spent on amps wasn't an amp. It was the Boss TAE.. imo all tube amps at some point on the volume dial will add power tube distortion to the mix they just vary by where on the dial this happens - you hit that, the grins are automatic.

The VM2466, Rocker 30, AD30HTC, Fender DRRI and 2525H have all become instantly superior versions of themselves.. all because of an attenuator (or fine, re-amper, but same result)... my only regret was procrastinating on the TAE purchase.

to the OP..I hope you bought the 2203 you won't regret it.

SloeGin likes this.