Jcm800 2203x halfstack at home?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by SloeGin, Oct 22, 2021.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

Hey guys,

I played a Marshall JCM800 2203x with a 4x12 cab in a musicstore and i totally loved it.
    The loudest I played was on volume 1 or 1,5 but I was in tone heaven upload_2021-10-22_7-27-19.gif :dude:
    Help ... the JCM800 is one of the loudest amps out there but I totally dig it.
    Boosting it with a SD-1 would even give me even better tones and i presume using an attenuator would make me able to push the amp further.
    I tested the SC20 with matching cab a year ago but it felt boxy to me.
    With the 2203x it just felt and sounded perfect!

I only play at home and don't even record.
    Am I insane for wanting a 100 Watt amp just playing at home? upload_2021-10-22_7-27-19.gif :)
    Does a halfstack with attenuator at home makes sense?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Well...I have two full Superlead stacks in my bedroom. I've been known to crank them both up all the way. (While wearing good hearing protection.) Actually I've got four 100 watt JMPs, a 2203 and three 1959s, so I would not be the person to say that I think a 2203 half stack is overkill for home usage.

If it's insanity then I have a more severe case of it than you do. :cool:

3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Jesus, a 2203x is a MASTER VOLUME HEAD meaning the out put is not dependent on how loud it is. Plug and play, if you like it get it.

4. Robbah99

Robbah99 New Member

You are on the right path.. Running a Marshall with attenuator so you can crank it is correct.

SloeGin and GregM like this.
  5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes, i use Rockcrushers on 6100's, 1987x's, 2203x's, 2555x's X100b's, Fender Dual showman's, ect. It cuts down on some of the level while letting you drive the amp a bit harder. I have been on the right path fora long time........

6. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

I have a 5, 15, two 20's and a 100 watt amp in my living room.
    There's no wrong Marshall for home use. :agreed:

7. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Life is short. Get what you want. Back when I had my 2203, I used it at bedroom volumes all the time. It still sounded great at lower volumes. There's no denying that they sound better cranked, but you won't be disappointed with bedroom volume either. Hell, half the time I'm playing through my amps they're at bedroom volume unless I'm recording.

8. Deftone

Deftone Well-Known Member

I only play at home as well and I currently have five 50w heads and three 4x12's in my Master Bedroom. I use the volume on my distortion pedal to keep the output low and it does not seem to affect the tone. It's totally manageable and I love the low end grunt.

I say go for it.

9. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

A model 1960 Marshall cab is a good cab because you can use lots of heads with it. Since you attenuate, the only problem you have to deal with is how much space it takes up and if you have the distance in front to hear it all without feedbacking. I suppose if you think you can get what you did the in shop in a room in your home then it will probably work out for you.

10. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Your ears are one thing... did you reinforce the house? Secure the windows? Notify the local seismographic watch? :rofl:

11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

If you're insane, I am also. I have the exact setup sitting in my living room right now. I play through it almost every day, master volume on about 1.5. As already mentioned you do not need an attenuator with the amp, as it's just adding another device to the signal chain that's not needed. I have 5 attenuators, and never use them with my 2203x, or any of my master volume amps. Get the amp, it's iconic, and you won't regret it. If you think about selling it, kick yourself a few times. I also have the SC20H, and as you stated, it's a bit "boxy" compared to the 100w.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  12. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

What cab do you use?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. MickeyS

MickeyS Active Member

All I play at home are 100 watters. Since 1987 I've played 100 watt half stacks at home and playing out. Get that joker and rock. It has a master volume, so you will be happy. I've never run an attenuator on a MV amp, but that's just me, maybe I'm missing something there. I'd say go for it!

14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I like my 2203 with the drive about halfway and the master volume around 6. (or 1 o'clock if you go by clock position)

Yeah it's loud. But it sounds right.

15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I have two 1960A cabs, which now have Avatar Hellatone 60L's, which are a low resonant frequency V30, without the typical V30 high-end spike. They don't make them anymore, but I love them. I typically just use one cab with the 2203x, in a half stack configuration.

16. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

I would say it does make sense, yes. But then again you're on the Marshall Forum so no one will tell you otherwise!

The half stack you're talking about combined with a BOSS Tube Amp Expander would be like peanut butter & jelly.

17. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Which cab did you play the SC20H through when it felt 'boxy' to you? I have a SC20H and the matching 2x12 cab and the only way I could get that impression is if I don't have it EQ'd right, if I'm not pushing it enough, or maybe if I tried to play through a 1x12 cab on the floor while standing up. You need to have it pushing some air to sound like it should, and a good boost in front is a must, especially if you can't crank it.

A few years ago I would have thought that anyone buying a 100W half stack for home use was into some serious overkill, but in addition to my 20W Marshall I also have some 50W tube heads, which sound really good at home, even without an attenuator. In fact my Mesa Rectifier sounds awesome at basement friendly volumes (95-100 dB at 6 ft.), even without the attenuator, and this is mainly due to its design (it has a global volume control in addition to individual channel master volumes).

I got the SC20H and 2x12 because it sounds like a 2203, it's half the cost of a 2203x + cab, I'd rather replace 2 power tubes than 4, and I don't gig. It's also a lot easier to attenuate 20 watts than 100 watts. I should add that I usually don't attenuate the 20W head, as I feel it isn't necessary.

Hey, but if you have the cash and your heart is set on the 2203x, then go for it. And if you live in a detached house with no limits on volume, then maybe it's a no brainer! :headbanger:

18. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

When I was young a friend of mine bought a used 100W stack and set it up in his dad's basement. He had to explain the broken basement windows to his dad, no shit. :eek:

19. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

I built a 2204X half stack and my wife always asks me to crank it.
    Am I a lucky guy or what?

20. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

go for it. if it's the only thing that'll scratch that itch, you'll always think of it.