JCM2000 TSL/ Thoughts

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JakeQJCM2000, May 8, 2011.

1. Jon Holstrom

Jon Holstrom New Member

Sooooo
    All things between DSL / TSL?
    I have the TSL 60, ripping amp thus far.
    Very nice amp all around, but I got it to ..
    mix and match cab simulators at in put.

I have three cab simulators I will be using for now.
    And as I also have an Hughes and Kettner, Tubeman 2
    and also Vox Cooltron "Snake Charmer" tube compressor.
    a few other tube preamp floor units or some sort.

I will be using a UP Town Technologies Flash 4 as a switcher.

My point is ..... the basic sound of the Marshell can't be beat,
    and with that as a basis I am sure I will find any and all sounds
    I may need, or if I may need/ I have three Digitech RP 20, RP-21d units as well.

I am forcing myself to leave out anything about the ADA GCS-6 Stereo Guitar Cabinet Simulator

I will add also that the DSL and TSL all have very nice effects loops
    to mix and match signal enhancing, very very nicely designed for
    getting the tubes to react in many different ways.

I am going to be building up the guitar signal before even getting to the marshell tubes.
    So far things have been very good and more amazing then anything.

I am thinking along the lines of early 80s and late 80s sounds built using
    two or three marshell amps as preamps, this is where all these designs came from.

Marshell took notes on how every one was building racks and recording LPs?
    And then they built the best "easy" amp to get the same sounds from the pre amps
    of the marshell line ups, this is where the DSL / TSL thinking lays.

Play around with what your signal is doing before it gets in to the marshell, learn
    the right way to "boost" your guitar signal before the amp in put.

Bob Bradshaw and MXR have a nice pedal for this as well.
    Its the MXR® CAE BOOST/LINE DRIVER
    TC Electronics has the Spark just for this as well.
    So so many more ways to shape your sound and get the
    tubes to really light up any way you want.

I will do a follow up on this at some point
    and toss in some even more complex issues of getting
    tube amps to really shine and sparkle any way you like.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    tubes likes this.
  2. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Interesting Jon.
    Also, you have revived a ten-year-old thread.

Talking bout line drivers and such...
    On the forum here there have been some fans of the BBE Sonic Maximizer for a good partner with Marshall amps.

I have mixed feelings about 'exciters'.
    On one hand, they tend to emphasise the highs and lows.
    On the other hand, Marshall makes speakers to do that - the 12T-75.
    But people do not love those speakers.
    (But I do.)

Headache likes this.
  3. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

My jcm 900 4-12 is my favorite cab w g12/t75’s

tubes likes this.
  4. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I have made it known here that I love the g12/t75’s!!!

I also have two JCM 900 cabs with well used 75's and all of my buddies prefer my cabs to theirs with much more favored speaker options.

Also, I am a new convert to the JCM 2000 series of amps. I recently scored a 1998 DSL 100, performed the stable bias mod and changed all jacks. She is a mean beast now and sounds fantastic. I am typically a JMP/JCM800 guy but I am now looking to scoop up a couple more 2000's (TSL or DSL). I can get them cheap and do whatever work needed to make them run right. WIN/WIN.

I will be adding a choke soon.

tubes and Jethro Rocker like this.
  5. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Nice resurrect. Ive been revisiting my TSL lately which has mostly been moth balled. Been messing with the EQ's and buttons trying to get the orange channel to sound more like my 2204 clone. Im getting close. The clean is immaculate and Ive found I really like it with the mid boost on. I think the main reason I put it away was it broke down in the middle of the last gig I did with it which really shook my confidence in it. Even after getting it fixed Ive never really trusted it. I guess thats why we have backup amps but I really hate when things break down during a gig.

tubes likes this.
  6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

TSL is a different critter tonally from a DSL and IMO way more versatile, not just because of the 3rd channel. Channel 1 clean, channel 2 can cop some good gainy ballsy tones way more than Crunch mode on DSL. One of my favorite amps.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  7. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

I owned a TSL100 for about 2 years. Eventually traded it for a 6505+ then I sold that to fund a 6100lm. I wish I had both the TSL and the 6100lm at the same time to a/b them. I didn't move the TSL because it was in any way lacking. I was just on a real roll with trading and/or selling amps to try others at the time. At the time I thought it was great. I didnt have a lot of outboard gear other than a delay and an eq pedal then and to have so many features packed in one amp was still a novelty for me.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what end of a sale you are on) the prices seem to be creeping up on them here. I kinda wish I grabbed one back when they were pretty cheap on the used market. Seems like the prices across the board have gone up on every older amp I like now though. 6505's and jcm 900's and 2000's especially. Up in Canada you cant seem to find them for the cool 550 they would sometimes go for like 4 or 5 years ago.

tubes and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

Whichever one you get, you will need to do work to it to get it reliable/gig-worthy. For the TSL corrections and upgrades, plan on spending the same amount for the amp or even more as parts have augmented in price significantly.

The TSL requires a lot of attention and patience: as to get to the Lead board you will have to pre-label every connector and wire and remove two or three boards just to access it alone. Also, finding an Issue 20 mainboard is not enough as it still requires work, so any Issue mainboard will do provided you work on it first.

Either amp you decide on getting, values will need to be altered to optimize the amp's tone stack back to Marshall specs. Sounds weird, I know, that seems to be a blunder of the JCM2000 series. Just being honest.

Suppose you get one and do the work required for it, you should not regret your investment. Understand though, 8 tubes can get pretty warm pretty quick, and no, you cannot remove a power-valve pair thinking you will get it to produce half power, unless you can figure out how to defeat the circuitry without blowing anything up.

Having said all that, the TSL has numerous advantages over the DSL for obvious reasons. But, if you want a collection of Marshall amps: the TSL. If you just want to set and forget for the entire song: the DSL. The TSL has four amps in one (not three like many mistake here) as the Clean Mid Boost is a separate tone stack altogether from the "normal", in essence giving you Four channels with two separate tone-shifts for the drives. The TSL is very versatile, it comes with a five button footswitch also The DSL probably wins in maintenance for simplicity, but you have to depress the modes, which give you Three channels and an additional mode on the drive. If you are confused, check out the schematics to see what it is I am saying.

If you just need 50W: the DSL 50W is the only one available. If you want a tad more: the TSL 60W version might work. Keep in mind you will need a cabinet capable of handling the power rating, so plan accordingly. The TSL sounds just as big with a single speaker as it does with a stack so no complaints there.

Check out the various threads on this forum to find out more on what maintenance is required for the amp you end up going with.

Good luck!

9. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I think I am happy with the interface of the DSL. I could be interested in trying a TSL for the right price.

I am about to purchase another DSL 100 from 1999 for $375. Needs new tubes and I will have to do some work to insure stable bias and functionality of the speaker jacks, but I'm game. These things sound great with some tweaks.

10. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

TSL 100 is my favorite amp.
    Separate eq for all 3 channels.
    Effects loop that works well.
    Footswitch that has effects, channels, and reverb.
    Amazing tone, can get brutal.
    Plays with pedals well, easy to bias.

The dampening button works well enough.

The low end needs some fine tweaking to sound good.

Overall it is my best and most used amp.

I'll parrot what's been said before, the DSL is a great sounding amp, but it has a lot of downsides, mostly the inability to switch anything off the footswitch, and the shared EQ is just silly. The DSL is a pain in the ass to bias tubes.....

I've sold my 2 DSLs off and kept my TSL.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

12. Jethro Rocker

Mine is stock. Sounds great. No issues so far haven't pit anything extra into it.
    If you like higher gain, DSL is not set and forget as it requires an OD pedal on channel 1 even in ceunch mode. While there may be a separate tone stack for clean channel with mid boost on, you cannot switch that as channels with footswitch. It is a 3 channel amp.

13. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Avoid all this nonsense and just get a JVM410

14. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

whatever dude

15. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

It is a four channel, don't kid yourself. Have a look at the schematic as I had suggested. Should you trace out the Clean board circuit you will find that a few front panel controls are deactivated whenever the "Mid Boost" is depressed. Seeing how you own one maybe you can let us know which controls those would be? Now there are three sets of channel controls, but there is a channel embedded in the Clean board which has its own tone stack, therefore it is not, and cannot be called, a three channel amp, regardless of what Marshall did to market it in the late 90s. If you really want to be technical, you could call it a six-channel, however, no drive control is deactivated in those modes, and all parameters are utilized. But the truth is the Clean's controls are utilized for the "hidden" channel: the Mid Boost. Check it out for yourself.

Warning: if you continue to operate the amp without the required corrective maintenance, you will risk burning up, or even perhaps blowing up something. It's your amp.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021