JCM2000 DSL50 inbound

Brek

Reaction score
Like that old saying 'one day you'll be a man my son' feels like it was made for when one buys a full sized Marshall head. (I'm 57 BTW).

BC763414-17C7-46AF-9589-FD64FC0D037D.jpeg

I read about them awhile back as being the secret value buy for old school Marshall tone. Was nearly put of after reading about bias drift and the whole board potentially becoming conductive. But as far as i have read its the 100 watters not the 50 watters that can have issues.

I bought it (the 50 Watter) as was chided for buying a 20w EL34 by an old school amp builder 'it cannot sound very good if only 20w' I presume he meant the valves need to be pushed beyond what 20w can do to harness that harmonic magic. Luckily I already have a 4x10 cab to plug it into. Nowt flash though, fitted with celestion ten 30's.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like that old saying 'one day you'll be a man my son' feels like it was made for when one buys a full sized Marshall head.

View attachment 106880

I read about them awhile back as being the secret value buy for old school Marshall tone. Was nearly put of reading about bias drift and the whole board becoming conductive. But as far as i have read its the 100 watters not the 50 watters that can have issues.

I bought it (the 50 Watter) as was chided for buying a 20w EL34 by an old school amp builder 'it cannot sound very good if only 20w' I presume he meant the valves need to be pushed beyond what 20w can do to harness that harmonic magic. Luckily I already have a 4x10 cab to plug it into. Nowt flash though, fitted with celestion ten 30's.
Congrats man, looks good!
:cheers:
I take it the old school amp builder hasn’t tried a Studio amp,…:D

jimmyo

Reaction score
Like that old saying 'one day you'll be a man my son' feels like it was made for when one buys a full sized Marshall head.

View attachment 106880

I read about them awhile back as being the secret value buy for old school Marshall tone. Was nearly put of reading about bias drift and the whole board becoming conductive. But as far as i have read its the 100 watters not the 50 watters that can have issues.

Congratulations! Great amp!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah that thought did cross my mind. He was very dismissive of the whole 20w el34 thing.
Yeah, it’s understandable especially for an old-timer, I think if he played one of the Studio amps he might have a different opinion.

el34’s normally are pushing 50 watts, so for two of them to be in a 20 watt amp You don’t see that too often, but it works. Marshall made it work,… these amps, all these amps, the Studio line, the Dsl20 and the Origin20, sound great!

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah that thought did cross my mind. He was very dismissive of the whole 20w el34 thing.
We guitar players are pretty set in our ways and can be dismissive about new things based out outdated opinions. I’d put the Studio amps up against any other Marshall but I used, abused and enjoyed a 2k DSL50 for over a decade. Damn good amp, congrats!

Brek

Reaction score
Looking forward to booking out a rehearsal room to crank it thats for sure.

It arrived this a.m, setup in garage plugged into 4x10 cab, oh boy, ferocious, loud but in a whole different way to the 20w head I have. Very quiet in terms of background noise, was surprised by that. Green channel master volume at quarter to twelve gain at max, one run through of pretty vacant on the R8 and I am 100% in love.

When I played through similar powered amps as a kid I knew nothing about the quailty of noise coming out of the cab. It was distorted and that was good enough for me.

Now I know a bit more about amps and playing I am staggered at the dynamics of this kind of amp, some probably call it touch sensitivity. It responds with a fullness of tone I have not directly experienced before.

Obviously there are other amp options out there that more experienced players will get more out of, but for me, at £400 its the best amp I could have got. that its in really good cosmetic shape is a bonus.

My ears still ringing.

Last edited:

javadesigner

Reaction score
We guitar players are pretty set in our ways and can be dismissive about new things based out outdated opinions. I’d put the Studio amps up against any other Marshall but I used, abused and enjoyed a 2k DSL50 for over a decade. Damn good amp, congrats!

How you you compare your 2k DSL50 to your VM 2266 ? I have a 2266 and about as happy as can be with it but GASing for a DSL. Which is the one amp you take to the deserted island forever (with a single coil guitar) ?

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How you you compare your 2k DSL50 to your VM 2266 ? I have a 2266 and about as happy as can be with it but GASing for a DSL. Which is the one amp you take to the deserted island forever (with a single coil guitar) ?
Mostly a humbucker player and I would have to go with the DSL50. The VM cuts well enough for a thicker amp but not as well as the DSL50 and the DSL has more KERRANG. I loved mine even more after @joeyvoltage here modded it, then it opened up even more (sorry no clue what he did).

VM just isn't my taste though--I put it up last week cause it just isn't getting used. Good amp for plugging straight in and getting Duane Allman tones IMO.

Latest posts