JCM 900 with Bugera PS1 Attenuator Smoked!

cbholder3

Reaction score
I purchased a Bugera PS-1 100W attenuator and followed the instructions with proper functioning speaker cables and matched impedance @8ohms.

Sounded great for about 5 minutes, I let the 50W JCM900 4500 series warmup for about 20 minutes then started dialing in an awesome tone and I started smelling burning parts. I stopped playing and noticed the PS-1 was smoking just a little bit. Little smoke signals is the best way to describe it. I turned it off immediately. Is this a product error or are the JCM 900’s just not cut out for attenuators? Your thoughts please and thank you guys. I’m new by the way. Been playing since I was 13 and I’m 30 now.

Side note* Used a 4x12 Marshall cab 8ohms
I had the same thing with My Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series Head and JCM 800 Lead 1960 cabinet running at 16 ohms.. Same thing happened twice, that PS1 got smoking hot. I surely don't want to burn up my Marshall so I unplugged it and it is just sitting there. I have seen an awful lot of comments with the same problem. I was in touch with the vendor (a very well known and reputable company) But the process is dragging out. Either return or replace. I don't believe I would purchase another one of these.. I also have been in the game for a while. Started playing at 12, 65 knw and still at it.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Have a PS1 that I use with a JCM 2000 DSL 50 for almost 2 years. No problems whatsoever. Barely get warm with anything over half on the dial. Gets moderately hot at bedroom attenuation. No smells. But getting hot is a natural byproduct of converting watts into heat.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cbholder3, welcome to the Marshall Forum.

I think a100 watt amp is just too much for a Bugera Ps1.

I know that Weber is very mindful of how many watts their attenuators can take and they are very careful matching the right attenuator for the right amp.

Check them out, they are a high quality built piece of gear. They’re hand made, in the US, one by one as the orders come in. And they sound great!

EADGBE

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why I don't like attenuators. Another reason is I don't think they sound good.

JustGaryLee

Reaction score
I use them on my JCM 900 just fine, mine is a combo. so 2x12 your running 4x12 @ 8 ohms?

Last edited: