JCM 800

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by EvoRider, Jan 31, 2021.

1. EvoRider

EvoRider New Member

do the jcm 800 combos sound as good as the half stack??

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Sounds good is subjective.
    Will it have the same floor shaking girth and punch? No. Are they loud? Very. Same tonality? Well, yes, you can also run a combo into a 2x12 or 4x12.
    But no they won't sound the same right off,

3. rafalynch

rafalynch Active Member

n on replacing the capacitors first thing. I don't care what you hear what others say, replace the capacitors with F&T

replace the original capacitors without being spoiled by some shitty F&T sla the biggest stupidity you can do in a vintage mashall. Do not change them unless one is broken

4. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If they are over twenty years they are "broken", well beyond their useful life. Your post shows you know very little and your arrogance is amazing, Vintage parts fail dingus STFU and kneel before me! "Do not change them unless one is broken" if it's a "vintage" capacitor at that age it is "broken" whether you or anybody else is willing to admit it and is not performing as it should. STFU and stop posting stupid ass shit leading people astray!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    JP2036 likes this.
  5. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

I just found a 78 JMP 2104 50 watt combo for $1500 a week ago, unmolested.

Attached Files:

6. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Get a Marshall SC20H with the studio vintage 2x12. That would be a great look. The SV20 is similar to a 2203 but only 20 watts with a 5W mode. Absolutely a killer amp. Its a great home, studio and gigging rig. Although the big head on a 4x12 is a great look, unless you have a huge studio and gig large clubs its way over-kill.

EvoRider, Jethro Rocker and joe_cpwe like this.
  7. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

I don't know what you need it for, but check out the 2204 version of the 1x12 combo. I forget the model number of that one.

Edit model 4010

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  8. Jethro Rocker

Or the 4010 1x12 version. It kills!

9. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

That’s the 2 channel.... the 2204 2x12 combo is the 4104...the 1x12 is 4010....

10. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

Bravo

Bluesrock and Ray Baker like this.
  11. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

You are correct. The master volume lets you get grind at TV levels. I was getting harmonic overtones and subtle feedback with my 2204 the other day at levels just over TV levels played through a 2X10 Fender cab with an open back. Don’t worry about attenuators with these. If you never plan to gig with it, the SC20 might be a nice compromise.

FYI, the 2205 and 2210 have channel switching but use diodes for distortion in the high gain channel.

12. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Any model jcm800 will do most ac/dc stuff all on their own. If you are into hair metal though I have to recommend the 2205/2210 channel switchers. I won’t deny the single channels have a certain special something as far as mid gain crunch tones go, and adding a pedal or two can take them into metal territory, but I’d be hard pressed to give up my split channel 800’s if it really came down to it. They sound fantastic.

That said, I’d recommend looking for an ‘85 or newer split channel. The 82-84 models had a different circuit and I don’t like those as much. You can tell by pulling the v2 tube, if you loose the clean channel but the boost channel is unaffected, it’s the later circuit. Some 84 models reportedly are the later circuit.
    Then again, some people like the earlier circuits so let your ears decide.

13. dro

dro Well-Known Member

My first Marshall combo was the 2x12 JCM800, vertical input. Was a monster. Used on many tracks with Les Paul and Tele's mainly. Great tone.

Now the JMP 2204 fills the spot

14. EvoRider

EvoRider New Member

well I really dont need a halfstack just wanted something cool.. looks like i am not gonna be able to afford a JCM 800 halfstack. Starting to look at the JCM 900 Mk111
    I have had several different stacks over the years Peavey 5150, Crate BV120, Mesa Tripple Rec, and my least favorite was a Marshall JCM 2000 50w with a 1960AV cab... My favorite so far has been a Peavey 5150 combo or a Mesa Rectoverb 50 series 2. but sold that a while back... I have wanted a Halfstack for mostly a conversation piece and to play when the wife is at work lol.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. ShatteredVitreous

ShatteredVitreous Well-Known Member

Haha, hold out bud it's worth it. I got a 2555x for £750 in the UK. Yes the tolex was ripped a bit but when someone can prove that affects the sound I will buy another one lol.

Actually got it with the 4x12 for an extra £150, then sold the cab for £250......2555x really cost £650.

It's funny that I purchased the 800, upon listening to it I purchased an attentuator, sold my Kemper with pedal for £2000 and went on a mission to find a second amp I could record......all fell extremely short in comparison to the 800. By proxy I had £1350 to spend on other musical stuff....mainly an LTD 1001.

There is one draw back with the 800, everytime I go to record some parts I end up just playing random riffs for hours.......and I am not being sarcastic. I must have enough songs in my head to write about 50 bloody albums.

Sorry I digress, get it, sell everything else, leave the wife, move to the country and turn that mofo to 10.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  16. ShatteredVitreous

One more thing, to me the magic of the 800 is that it has thump without too much bass. It lacks a bit of bass but that adds to the overall grit and aggression and in the mix, and in a band context, it allows the bassist to add the balls, which is how it should be. It's feels a lot like it was designed with bands and recordingn in mind, or probably better put, being in the mix.

If you compare that to the JVM for example, it sounds like a monster of an amp. You can riff on that all day long too but I find when in a mix it just loses all clarity. Personally, I just think it's not a good amp for me, but it is phenomenal.

I think if I never played the JCM I would still love my JVM but alas I have, I have completed endless recordings to see how the two fit in the mix (seperate and side by side panned) and the JCM just works off the bat.

The other thing I love is no matter what you do with the JCM it will sound great. This is because it's essentially a 1 channel amp with 2 workable knobs, the EQ just doesn't do much at all. So no tinkering just playing.

Sorry to ramble, I am passionate about this amp. Spend 25 years chasing my perfect sound, and I found it.

Mike

17. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

And weighed about 90 lbs.

18. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Nice, I can agree the rectoverb and 5150 are both a blast to play.
    The jcm900 mkiii is great as well. You can crank the preamp gain up for all-tube ac/dc styles and then bring in the “sensitivity” to blend in as much diode clipping as you want to get it more saturated. The 800 still has the edge side by side I think, but is it worth double the price? Probably not.

I got my first Marshall 4x12 last year as well and I can say it’s a great conversation piece. Mostly my family asking what my neighbors think of it and make snide comments about how ridiculous it is. I really should start showing them pictures of some of the rigs other members here have!

I came from the other direction, picked up the 800 first then after reading and getting hyped up I got a jvm410 only to be pretty my disappointed and returned it. The jvm was still a great amp but there definitely was something missing in comparison. I’ve heard a few mods can really shake up the jvm though, if I get another I may try that, I just wasn’t willing to sacrifice my return period to find out.

19. ShatteredVitreous

Pretty much my experience. I have owned I think 4 JVM410h and 1 JVM410HJS and could never get back to how I felt about my first one. 2 of those JVMs came after owning the JCM and after a few days just never got switched on.

I would love to keep it as it is in pristine condition and I paid £550 for it with a tour grade case but I love to tinker and I try to remove all distractions from my modest little studio.

I would buy another amp but I just don't think anything stands up to the JCM. I am very interested in a SC20 and the SV20 for recording but I fear what I love about the JCM the SC wouldn't be able to deliver.

20. Jethro Rocker

Y'know, if yoiu favorite of that lot was a 5150 and DSL was least favorite, personally, I think ypu are better off with a 900 or similar higher gain amp than an 800 and using pedals. Just such a different critter from a 5150.
    Unless you want something different from that.