JCM 800 with Two notes Captor X

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Manuel Monti, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Manuel Monti

Manuel Monti New Member

Hi!
    I've a JCM 800 + cabinet Marshall 4x12 speakers celestion of 15 Ohm.
    The speakers are connected in serial-parallel resulting in an overall impedence of 15 Ohm.
    I just bought a Two notes captor X - 8 ohm version (in fact I can select 4 or 8 or 16 ohm).
    My question is: can I connect the output of the Captor X in the cabinet with 15 ohm or it is necessary to reweire the speacker in order to obtain an impedence of 8 ohm. In this case, it is possible to obtain 8 ohm using all the 4 speakers or it is necessary to use only 2 speakers in parallel (1/((1/15)+(1/15))=7.5 ohm.
    Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

:welcome:
    No way to wire your 4 speakers to get 8 ohm.
    2 speakers wired parallel would work, but the unused speakers in the cab will affect how it sounds.
    Not sure how you can select "4 or 8 or 16 ohm" on the 8 ohm Captor.
    If you mean you could have chosen a different version, then yes, you should have chosen the 16 ohm.

PelliX likes this.
  3. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

They're switchable? I thought they make a model/version per impedance.

The impedance of the Captor itself should align (or exceed) the rating of the output on your JCM. If you have an 8 Ohm model (or setting, apparently), then you should use the 8 Ohm tap on your amp. That being said, those devices work more or less as a passthrough when the attenuation is turned down, so the amp more or less sees the actual speaker load.

TL;DR:
    * 8 Ohm tap on the amp, 8 Ohm Captor, 8 Ohm wired speakers = OK
    * 8 Ohm tap on the amp, 8 or 16 Ohm Captor, 8 or 16 Ohm speakers = OK, but less preferred.

And, what @fitz288 said; you can't wire all 4 speakers to get 8 Ohms.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    fitz288 likes this.
  4. Manuel Monti

Manuel Monti New Member

Thank you for your answers!
    The Captor X is not switchable. I bought 8 ohm version, but if I want, I can change with 16 ohm.
    I can set JCM 800 to 4, 8 or 16 ohm.
    I will use JCM 800 only in my studio (not for live) and I bought Captor X in order to connect JCM 800 to the DAW.
    So, if I use 2 or 4 speakers in my little studio, is not a big problem.

5. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Then I think swapping the 8 Ohm version for a 16 might be a good idea. Why don't you just mic the cab, though?

6. Manuel Monti

Manuel Monti New Member

In order to have a good distortion I must put volume at high level and this is not possible!
    Moreover I can load a lot of IR and simulate different situation of microphone.
    Captor is a very good product!
    I would like to post some image but it's not allowed for newbie!

7. Manuel Monti

Manuel Monti New Member

The speaker below at right does not work very well...so the solution of adopt only 2 speakers in order to have 8 ohm should solve both problems!

8. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Not saying this is the solution, but have you considered an iso-box and mic? That can/will give you any speaker breakup, too in case you're looking for it.

peterplexi likes this.
  9. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar, really, with this 2-note captor thing, but if you can switch it to 16 ohms, and the amp can be switched to 16 ohm, and the cabinet is 15 ohms, then you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the different between 15 & 16 ohms.

If I'm not getting this right, let me know.

If this device can only use 8 ohms, then you can buy another 4x12 15-ohm cabinet perhaps.....or just return it for the 16-ohm version since you just bought it.

10. Manuel Monti

Manuel Monti New Member

I think is a very good product especially for home recording!
    ..it's very boring that i cannot public any kind of link!

11. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

You can also leave your 16ohm cab alone and grab another 16 ohm cab. If necessary.

the only feature you are losing with your current setup is attenuation, since you can run the 800 at 8ohm with no other load (of course, plugged into the captor).

12. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

If you are just wanting to send the signal to your DAW and use IRs you don't need to hook up the speakers. The Captor can be used as just a load box. Well, I am assuming this, I have the original version without the X and can use it that way.
    EDIT: Just took a quick look and Yes, you can use the Captor X as just a loadbox.
    Just plug your amp's 8 ohm speaker output into the Red jack on the Captor. Use the line level output to go into your DAW and then add your IRs.