>

JCM 800 vs Kemper Profiler

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by GuitarIV, Mar 9, 2021.

1. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I had helix and was tweaking too much, went to Kemper and purchased a few profiles (maybe 50-75 bucks total?) and I don’t tweak anymore.

Ni6htWalker and Maggot Brain like this.
  2. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Tweaking isn’t a hardware issue tho—I had an AXE dove in real deep but now I have a Helix and pretty much run stock amps through Celestion IRs...diminishing returns

3. tallcoolone

But fantastic that you found something that works for you!

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

It's all in your monitoring system. Using the cab that is baked into the profile will give you the sound of the cab and the mic used to capture the profile. Running a studio profile through studio or PA monitors is going to yield way different results than running a direct profile through a traditional cab.

giblesp and Maggot Brain like this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

No offense man (seriously, no offense), but those QSC power amps were among the worst I tested with my Axe FX. Class "B" amps are known for producing nasty crossover distortion. If that's what your using to amplify the Kemper, and it's working for you, that's great, but I'd suggest trying some Class "A/B" amps to get the most from your Kemper.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I use the QSC only once in a while when I run in stereo, my KPA has the internal amp. Also, I rarely run the 4x12s these days since buying a Kemper Kab.

7. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

So what the Kemper is profiling is the miked 800. So the profile is going to be as good as the mike placement. That requires some technique.

What the Kemper is actually played through, is also a factor just as what cab you use for your 800 is a factor. And don't forget, you are hearing a profile of a miked amp with the Kemper, whereas you are playing through an actual amp/cab in the room.

The real test would be when you mike your amp, both go through the soundboard and then you compare the results. Or, plug into an interface to record. It may then sound very close.

I own a JVM, but can't mike it due to where I live. The Kemper is a great recording tool for those who need to record at low levels. If I could mike my amp though, I probably would.

Some swear by using an FRFR cabinet with their Kemper, I've never tried and don't need to as my Marshall will not be replaced for live use. But some users are happy to take a Kemper along to a gig and use an FRFR on stage, or plug straight into the soundboard. Mark Knopfler is currently doing this.

When I A/B my Kemper and Marshall, the Kemper sounds like a miked amp going through monitors and the Marshall sounds like an amp in the room. I've tweaked the hell out of it though, over a period of years.

Michael Roe and Maggot Brain like this.
  8. Guitarpete

Guitarpete New Member

in my experience you are going to have a hell of a time keeping up with a decent tube amp - especially so once it warms up and is cranked up enough to breath properly. Don't get me wrong, I am a hardcore IT guy. However, would we have Hendrix if there was only digital? A warm amp and glowing tubes...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  9. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker New Member

im just going to leave this...

[​IMG]

Frodebro and Dogs of Doom like this.
  10. marshallmellowed

I don't think anyone with any sense would dispute that a Kemper or Fractal can produce excellent recording results, as good as a real tube amp (IMO). I think the topic most often debated is whether they can compete with real tube amps, regarding "amp in the room" tone and feel (through a guitar cab). In my experience, this can also be achieved (at least, with a Fractal), but is much more challenging.

11. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

The key words there are cranked up.

Hendrix lived and played in a time when you could take a Marshall and crank it, your typical musician doesn’t have that luxury now.

proper tool for the proper job/application, hence why I’ve got a Kemper AND a JVM half stack.

12. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

True, but we wouldn't all be able to record the way we do at home, without digital. In fact, who's using all analog now anyway? Even if you are miking an amp, you'll be going into a computer. Maybe Jimi in 2021 would still be using his amps. But he'd be recording into a computer.

I can still remember 4 track days and going down to studio to make a demo. Now I can make very good sounding demos at home.

Tube is a gold standard, but digital has changed my musical world in so many ways for the better.

tallcoolone likes this.
  13. tallcoolone

Hendrix would be the first one experimenting with this stuff.

Frodebro and Maggot Brain like this.
  14. tallcoolone

Yup. But really this only matters to home hobbyists. Experienced live players are used to hearing themselves through stage monitors (mic'd sound) and experienced recording artists are used to cans (mic'd sound).

15. marshallmellowed

Not just important to "home hobbyists" (IMO). I play live gigs regularly, and while I am used to hearing myself through monitors, I still enjoy playing through tube amps at home, it's a different experience. I'll take amp through a cab over over mic'd/direct amp through a monitor any day. :)

16. tallcoolone

That right there is why I am standing in front of 8 tube amps my man! I do not live in 'either/or land'! Nothing scratches every itch

17. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker New Member

and with the Kemper too,

18. TKB

TKB Member

I've had a few Marshalls including the 2203 and I've loved them all BUT...I do believe psychology plays a heavy role in this conversation. I have told musicians in the past that simple things like room humidity can change air density and speaker flexibility to make a killer sound one day be so-so the next. Not many believed me. I know tube purists that don't believe tube sounding tones are possible from anything solid state but I disagree. You should of had a neutral party listen to the A/B test or posted them for opinions. A musician on Soundcloud called Jeff Fiorentino nails EVH's first album sound with a GFX 212 Crate tranny amp (listen to his song "Air is for pussies" to hear what I'm talking about). I've seen those amps for $40 and Eddie had a real Marshall. I would have liked your friends opinion on the test. Belief is a powerful thing my Friend. I have seen many musicians using the Kemper and I thought it nailed the Marshall sound,,,and I own a Marshall. I'm just sayin............

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  19. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

just hunted that down, sounds more like Jake E Lee in Ozzy meets George Lynch in Dokken...

TKB likes this.
  20. Whizzercone

Whizzercone Member

Profiling an amp and cab and expecting it to sound like the amp isn't going to work out well.

TKB likes this.