jcm 800 or vintage modern

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lvrocker, Feb 11, 2013.

1. lowinput

lowinput New Member

transistor amp $120, a valve amp $1000.
    (who listens to movies in DOLBY DIGITAL? everyone! can you tell the 'warmth' is missing? better start buying video tape movies again!)

2. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

There is something about the clean punch of a JCM800... it's almost a religious experience...

Groovejunkie likes this.
  3. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Between the two, I'd definitely go w/the VM ... no question.

4. lvrocker

lvrocker New Member

I wanted opinions and I got em! The fact that the 800 will roundhouse kick you to the face with decibels and raw marshall crunch is a fact. I know these things are always a matter of tonal opinion, music styles, recording styles, etc. and thanks to all who chimed in. I was curious about the KT66's and their more vintage sound compared to the 34's, and if they can be pushed hard and be responsive.

If I can find a VM locally to play I would do that first to make sure. I could go the head route to (for the VM) I've got a nice 4x12 that can handle it. I was curious as to how the newer marshalls sound next to the old classics.

The Jubiliee was another option I think someone mentioned that too, but I've heard other places those aren't quite what I'm looking for.

Decisions decisions... :cool2:

5. Groovejunkie

Groovejunkie Active Member

indeed. I got my 800 a few weeks ago, and if i had to describe it in one word....Biblical....

lvrocker likes this.
  6. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member VIP Member

I would choose every model of the JCM 800 series before A Vintage Modern. My $.02, keep us posted and welcome to the forum.

David

7. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

I think the vm's output is rated differently. With the 800's, if it is a 50 watter, it will produce 50 watts of musical power before it clips/distorts. Thus, overall peak is well above 50w. I think the VM is rated more like 50w peak. I read that somewhere and it would explain why the vm's just do not have the oomph of the 800's.

I am sure they are a fine amp and sound good and all. The VM my bandmate had did not sound that bad. But in a direct comparison, or in a live band situation, it just does not hold up to the 800 IMO. That is not to say that it cannot be used in a live band situation and sound great. But if the other guitar player has an 800 and you are using the VM, you better be mic'ing for FOH because the 800 is going to kill you. My 800 2205 drowns out the other guitar players 100w Bogner.

The Ozzk likes this.
  8. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

VM's also take a while to dial in using both the DETAIL and BODY controls.

I doubt that 5-10 minutes experimenting at the local music store would be enough time to dial one in unless you've done some prior reading on setting tone on a VM.

9. lvrocker

lvrocker New Member

From what I've read (the owners manual for one) they say the VM is very sensitive to not only the detail and body controls, but the guitar volume and tone controls as well. A lot of guitarists forget or don't bother with the guitar controls. It definitely would take some time to dial it in.
    Btw I should note I play an SG so tone would be a different experience from say, a Strat or similar.

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

11. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Well you and Die have both managed to insult a member of this forum in the same thread without realizing it :slash:

12. trobdcso

trobdcso New Member

The VM is not thin. Fucking crazy.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Hey what can I say......make a better video :)

14. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

I'm with you! WTF? Can you imagine being tied to a chair and a stereo blasting this for 24 hours??????

15. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Active Member

I just thought someone might be interested in hearing these two amps side by side through one cab, regardless of the obvious bad playing and huge compression youtube makes to the sound. Sorry that the video did not comply with the high standard of sound demo videos in the youtube. But hey, problem solved - the video is now removed.

16. meridiansystem

meridiansystem New Member

I think the consensus is in...

But I'm with the majority. 800 is my preference.

17. Duppy

Duppy New Member

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but would it be fair to describe the JTM45 as being the launchpad for the tone of the VM's (and I don't mean from marketing spiel but from players who have played through both amps and know them well).

I'm currently playing a Superbass (fun, but impractical) and in the past have had a 1987x RI (too harsh, bright and spiky for me, even when cranked it didn't smooth out), a JMP 2204 (cool amp but needed to be past 4 on the volume before it sounded 'full'. Which totally overpowered the drummer) and a JTM45 RI.

Of all the amps, I miss the JTM45 most, would like to give the 2204 another shot too. But I actually liked the fuller bodied, smoother sound of the JTM45. Was thinking about getting another. But the VM could be what I need:

Lower volume
    No need for pedals to get dirt tones
    Smoother sounding?

I like some of the tones in this demo, reminds of the gruff tone of Hendrix at Monterey

Marshall Vintage Modern Part 1 - YouTube

lowinput likes this.
  18. MKB

MKB Well-Known Member

You are correct, Marshall deviated from their typical power rating "policy" with the VM's. My 100W VM head will put out 80W clean. When I asked Marshall about this, they said this was correct, and the amp will put out 100W when distorted. As a comparison, my 100W JMD head will put out 133W clean. Most big 100W Marshalls with EL34's I've worked on would put out well in excess of 100W clean.

Agreed with this also, a 2203 will indeed kill a VM in absolute volume. The VM is a much softer sounding amp, where the 2203 is a really aggressive brute. If you have owned and played both, it is easy to see why the opinions on the amps are so polarized. In a way the two amps really cannot be compared as they are very different in tone and volume.

IMHO I would trade any JCM800 for a good VM any day of the week. Maybe I'm getting old. :)

TubeStack, albertlespaul and lowinput like this.
  19. lowinput

lowinput New Member

It's the speakers that make the 'hendrixy tone' you are hearing. put a VM (or any other marshall) into other speakers, and you'll get different EQ and Distortion character.
    I just plugged a 68 strat reissue into a DSL into CTS speakers and and nailed Hendrix woodstock, within 2 minutes of amp tuning. (no deep switch, no scoop, bass '4', trebles '4.5', mids '5'). every channel sounds like a hendrix tone.

20. Duppy

Duppy New Member

In the demo I put a link to above the guy is using a 2x12 with V30's, which I thought would be considered to give a more modern rock tone, so had put down the Hendrixy nature of the tone to that amp.

This is another demo I love for a bit of Hendrix flavour:

Marshall JTM-45 - YouTube