jcm 800 or vintage modern

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lvrocker, Feb 11, 2013.

1. lvrocker

lvrocker New Member

Preface: I had a 1984 jcm...bought new in 1984 and had it for years. Loved it. had to sell it due to financial issues. Sucked big time.

Fast forward 10 years, been playing other amps (shall remain nameless) and lately have heard Marshall calling my name. I could very easily get another 800 but I'm very curious about the vintage modern (btw Im talking about the combos 2x12 50 watts)

Want to hear your thoughts on the vintage modern in comparison to the 800.
    I play classic rock, hard rock and blues, like the 800 growl but thinking maybe the vm might be a good change

2. Nicholas666

Nicholas666 Well-Known Member

Get the 800 man!! Personally didnt like the VM..To thin sounding to me...But thats my opinion..

mk2 steve likes this.
  3. lvrocker

lvrocker New Member

that's what I want to hear, opinions! Thanks

4. Snakeface

Snakeface Well-Known Member

get the 800....I had a VM 2266 and traded it for my Jubilee, one of the best decisions I've ever made.....I found the VM too fizzy and harsh.

Redstone likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I played a VM combo, didnt like it, the OD sounded fake to me, tweaked all the knobbys but didnt get anywhere. Dont take my word for it though, tubes or bias could have been rough. People that have these amps love them. The 800 as you know is super loud, theres not much in low play, the VM has a master volume so you'll be able to get low play when you need it. Theres pros and cons in both, just try before you buy if you can.

6. newbies

newbies New Member

Jcm800!!

7. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

I have owned both amps and still own the VM. I have since sold my early JCM800 for a JMP.

Both the 800 and VM are great amps. The VM really needs a 425A or 425B cab to come alive, prior to buying my 425B (Jimi Hendrix Greenbacks) I only used the VM on LDR because I too thought that the HDR was to raspy. The 425B cabinet solved that problem and now the VM sounds great on both LDR and HDR.

TubeStack and BluesRocker like this.
  8. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

I have owned both a 2266 VM and a 2204 JCM 800.

Each amp has its own upside.

If you tend to veer more towards the bluesy side then the VM is your amp.

If you are more Hair Metal to Hard Rock to whatever else then the 800.

The VM can do 80s tones very well. But the KT66 tubes seem to not have the punch like the EL34s do.

My favorite though was the VM. basically because I like playing blues and 60s-70s blues rock. Also I found it that I could crank the VM more than I could the 800. The 800 was by far the loudest amp I have ever owned and I own a 1959SLP now.

TubeStack, albertlespaul and medicjg like this.
  9. medicjg

medicjg Well-Known Member

Pros and cons to both. The VM can achieve more saturated tones at a more reasonable volume level. I have had both and ultimately let both of them go without regret. Only regret about the 800 was that I didnt realize how easy it would have been to install a metro amps loop. That could of opened up some possibilities of getting to the sweet spot without going def. The VM does have a nice loop out of the box.

BluesRocker likes this.
  10. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

I got to use a VM 2x12 combo for a gig a few months ago, didn't like it, as someone has said previously, sounded thin and didn't have enough balls. Have since tried a head variant and didn't like that either. Can't go wrong with an 800

11. Wycked Lester

Wycked Lester Well-Known Member

800 for sure. thats an easy one.

800's are my fav marshalls,... and the VM is my least fav marshall.

...... and welcome to the forum.

Risamaru likes this.
  12. guitargoalie

guitargoalie Well-Known Member

I'd take the guys' opinions who've owned both first, but I've heard a few pretty good 800 impersonations on VM clips if you want a bit more versatility

13. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

the VM is a JTM/JCM800. it's DARKER than most 800's (discluding many 2205/10's) due to the KT-66's (so it's a solid rhythm AND lead amp) and it IS a ONE CHANNEL amp and must be treated as such to get the best results but really play one and go from there. i like the 800's better but i wouldn't hesitate to use a VM right NEXT to an 800 or even replace an 800 if i HAD to with one.

they can be found reasonably priced and shouldn't need new caps etc like the 800's so there's that bonus as well.

14. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

here this guy sucks but the amps don't.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mLJZBWVg1o]Marshall JCM 800 2204 or Vintage Modern 2266? Part 2. - YouTube[/ame]

Susihukkanen likes this.
  15. sccloser

sccloser Well-Known Member

I have an 800 and compared it side by side with a bandmate's VM at a band practice a little over a year ago now. No comparison. 800 blew it away. He took it home and did not bring it back. Borrowed an 800 from a mutual friend and all was well.

NewReligion and Wycked Lester like this.
  16. Bieling3

Bieling3 Well-Known Member

The Vintage Modern. Just not in combo form. If it has to be a combo pick up a JCM 800 4104. Don't believe a word from the nay sayers, the Vintage Modern is one of the best amps from Marshall in 30 years.

17. lewis_grey

lewis_grey Active Member

The Vintage Modern is a great amp, great sweet vintage sounding and very versatile.

An 800 is like a punch in the face.

I vote 800 :dude:

Groovejunkie likes this.
  18. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Active Member

I like them both! And as you can see from my video diesect posted above, both offer me plenty of headroom to develop my guitarist skills ;). But anyway, earlier I found 800 a bit hard to play, because if the master is at 1 (as it is in the video), it does not deliver the "optimal" tone. After getting an attenuator and turning the master vol at 7 to 9, is sounds much more pleasant. VM is much more controllable in that sense.

19. MKB

MKB Well-Known Member

I've owned a JCM800 2204 in the past, and currently own a 100W Vintage Modern. For my ears and the stuff I play, the Vintage Modern wins by a mile as you can get very nice levels of gain without an external pedal. Plus IMHO it gets the best Marshall solo tone of anything I've used in 30 years of playing mostly Marshalls.

I lean more towards classic rock and R+B though. The 2204 was indeed a great amp, but was loud and basically too brutal a tone for what I wanted. The Vintage Modern is a bit more easygoing in its attack. It's hard to explain; if the 2204 is a flying cinder block, the Vintage Modern is a brick wrapped in velvet. :) But it is easy to see why some folks greatly prefer a 2204 to the VM, each does its own particular thing extremely well, but they are very different amps.

The VM does have its own unique tone in High Dynamic Range, with its own coloration in the mids/upper mids. It still has the Marshall grind to it, but it is a bit smoother. It is the perfect Marshall solo tone I have had in my head for decades.

TubeStack likes this.
  20. lowinput

lowinput New Member

100% power = JMP, made for small distortion, anything more, you're destroying components
    95% power = 800, made for bigger distortion, add more and you're destroying valves
    90% power = 900, made for alot of distortion, the power drop is noticeable compared to earlier models (this is what guys are actually complaining about)
    85% power = DSL, JVM, VM, AFD made to run in distortion mode for years of trouble free use. (the complaints are the sound is different, but thats the power difference compared to the earlier models)

the latest generation of amps are the way to go. designed to stop you from going deaf! ask Ted Nuggent! remember there used to be things called 'Tube screamers', and 'side by side humbuckers'? Man, I can't believe they are still trying to sell us those things! and they are asking more than 3 times the price! they are not educating us, they are 'ripping us off'!
    (eric clapton only sells small wattage amps for a reason! they are 100% power but they limit you in power. 30 watts.)