JCM 800 or SC20H with an Attenuator for Bedroom Levels?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Final_Command, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Final_Command

Final_Command New Member

Hey guys,

I would really appreciate your advice on a decision that's been driving me crazy lately, which is to get either the JCM 800 100w head or the SC20H. I need the amp to be able sound good at bedroom levels, so I will be purchasing an attenuator to be able to push the master volume. If I play through studio monitors with an attenuator like the Two Notes Captor X, is attenuation still necessary? Either way, which amp and attenuator would be most suitable for the best JCM 800 tone at bedroom levels?

Thanks in advance.

tce63 likes this.
  2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

First, :welcome: to the forum.

I have a CH20H at home with a Weber mini Mass 50.

Sounds just great, that´s my advice for home use, but that´s me.

Cheers :cheers:

3. Final_Command

Final_Command New Member

Thanks a lot, tce63! :dude:

I've came across some videos of the SC20H on YouTube, and they sound great. However, I do notice a lot of people saying that it lacks the fullness or low-end that the 100w head provides. I do want the full sound of the 800, but I am not sure if that is possible with bedroom levels using an attenuator like the Captor X.

tce63 likes this.
  4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

If your budget supports both, 2203x, done, and you'll want not. Or, if you're like me you'll still want a SC20, which is a great low power alternative, but it does sound "smaller" than the 100w. Haven't fired the SC20 up in a while (I need to). "Bedroom Levels", not sure what that is, but doesn't sound fun.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Again with this question. You do not need an attenuator with a jcm800 amp. 100 watts or 50 watts will both do bedroom volume. And, yes, the 100 watt sounds a little fuller than the 50 watt. And they both probably have more thump than the SC20.

Save your money or use your attenuator with your SV20 Plexi when you get one.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I play a SC20 at home with an attenuator and it sounds great. Because of my attenuator I can crank the master as high as I like. Lots of great tones in this amp any way you use it imo.

I’ve heard 2203s’ sound great at low volumes, and if that’s the sound you’re going for and it fits in your budget, go for it!
    Buy them both and compare,… keep the one you like and return the other.

Welcome to the Marshall Forum
    :cheers:

7. marshallmellowed

I started typing the same thing, regarding "again..." and not needing an attenuator. Not sure why there's this sudden trend of everyone thinking they need an attenuator on a master volume amp, any amp sounds better un-attenuated (IMO).

8. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

An other perspective.... if you're going to stay at home with it, do you really need to use 500 watts of power to play at whisper volumes?..1/2 a kilowatt?...SC20 use 1/5....(if we're not careful, it's just a matter of time before environmentalists get wind off what we're doing and ban us...)

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and PelliX like this.
  9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

We should start a sub forum to put all the bedroom volume and attenuator questions.

Any pre 1990 Marshall (or RI of such) can benefit from an attenuator when playing alone at home. Every one of those amps that I have played benefit greatly tone wise by turning up the volume.

I guess I don’t understand the need to have high volumes when practicing alone—I support your right to do it, but I find it kind of absurd

scozz, PelliX and LCW like this.
  10. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

No attenuator for my SC20 [or my 50w 1x12 2204]--just slowly turn the MV up to where the 'goodness' starts to kick in, adjust the PreAmp Volume & then if it that`s not enough add a recommended OD & then if that`s still not enough, replace the OD with a killer distortion pedal! That`s 'my recipe' & I`m stickin` to it!

11. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

+1 for full size and attenuator. For bedroom volume and to get the response of having the power stage cranked, I'd argue that even the SC20 in 5 watt mode would need an attenuator. I can't recommend the Tone King Ironman enough. I have the Ironman 100 and it is fantastic and extremely transparent. The natural response of the amp is preserved. You do lost the effect of the speaker being worked hard, so just FYI.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It’s not a question of needing an attenuator, at least for me. Also, it doesn’t seem that difficult to understand why someone playing at home would want to use an attenuator with a 20 watt amp.

My gigging days are long over, I’m strictly an at home player now and 20 watts is very loud when turning up the master.

I use an attenuator so I can crank the master as much as I like, also when running this way I get just the right amount of compression, to my ears. :cool:

To me the amp sounds better and responds better running it this way, (not overwhelmingly loud too). :eek:

It works well for me.

We all don’t have lots of money and a big studio at home to play in. I’m playing in a 14’x13’ room so this works best for me. :agreed:

I'm just using my amp the way it works best for my situation, if others don’t like it, I can’t help that, nor do I care to. :D

ultrataco, Fil, Final_Command and 3 others like this.
  13. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you have to play that quietly get a laptop, some plugins and some headphones.

14. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Big gap between 100w ear damaging power and headphones. I don’t know many people who use that much power when they relax at home enjoying listening to music, why on earth would you want to do it practicing the guitar alone at home?

faerdi and LCW like this.
  15. marshallmellowed

Personally, I don't want a device between the amp and cab, unless it's absolutely necessary (typically with a non-master volume amp). I've tried attenuators on my master volume amps, and they have always responded and sounded better without an attenuator in the signal chain. But hey, like I always say, do what works for you.

scozz and ken361 like this.
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

even pedals in the chain takes something away

tce63 likes this.
  17. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Unless it's a phaser, delay or reverb pedal for a time that needs it!

ken361 and tce63 like this.
  18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get the big amp :yesway:

Final_Command, rolijen and tce63 like this.
  19. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

This!

tce63 and pedecamp like this.
  20. peterplexi

peterplexi Active Member

No attenuation is not necessary when using the Captor X cause you are loading down the amp and can turn the master all the way up if you like. Then controlling the overall volume with the monitors.

Final_Command and GregM like this.