JCM 800 2203x or SC20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Frehley12, May 25, 2020.

1. Frehley12

Frehley12 Member

While I'm not disappointed in my decision to get an SC20h, I am disappointed in the amp. If I upset the fans so be it. The loop volume drop is drastic to me and darkens the amp.

Could this one be a "dud?" It had no balls or punch even with a pre and power tube swap. Bass had to be 2o'clock or higher. Played through Marshall V30 Jubilee 4x12 and Mesa verrtical 2x12 v30s. Duncan Distortion in a Jackson KV2T.

My first 2555x was DEFINITELY a dud and returned. This SC20h is not how I remember the one I played at a GC through the matching 1x12.

I need a Marshall to sit between a 2555x and and a Mesa Mark IVa.

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

What reasons for the 2555X being a dud? Mine is balls out evil.

Mitchell Pearrow and Sustainium like this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The flanges on the the 2555x are bent just like a 2203x. I had them both, and tried to put the 2555x chassis into the 800, and 900 headshells I had. It fit. With issues.

The problem with the 2555x chassis is that it's about 3/4 of an inch deeper front to back and hangs out of the back of a standard 800 or 900 headbox, which means that putting an 800 chassis in a 2555x box you will have the amps rear panel sunk into the back 3/4 of an inch.

Nice score on the studio classic..it's next on my list.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Fans shouldn’t be upset, everyone’s looking for something different. I got one and was disappointed too. I’ve got a 100 watter and am very happy with it. Maybe try an eq first, or if that doesn’t work for you then try (before you buy lol) the 100 watter, or maybe even a boosted SV as it can easily be set a bit thicker.

5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

If you were expecting a 20w SC20 to sound like a 100w 2203, then you should be disappointed. At lower volumes, the SC20 sounds very close to a 2203, but once the master on the 100w 2203 hits 3 (or above) it's going to be game over, welcome to the 100w club. It just depends on what your looking for, volume wise.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound right, at what volume are you playing it? I've never heard anyone describe the loop volume drop as "drastic", maybe you should return it and get another one.

7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My first 2555x was a dud because it had a very stiff pot right out of the box. It sounded great, but I thought that pot issue was only going to get worse, and I was right.

Now I have found out that some of the guys that kept them in spite of stiif pots have had the pots seize and actually break the shaft.

In regards to that sc being a dud, I'm of the opinion that something isn't right with your amp, most guys have the opposite experience.

8. Frehley12

Frehley12 Member

Master volume was between 2-3, gain on 6-8.

9. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

See?.. flawless logic

BUT!!..

this is the problem buying a 100W head.... nothin.

Buy a different head?....its not a 100W head!

10. Frehley12

Frehley12 Member

UPS damaged it cosmetically. I remember it did have a stiff pot but don't recall which one. I made sure the tubes were seated and they were. Once I plugged it in, it sounded terrible. 3 strikes you are out.

11. Frehley12

Frehley12 Member

In truth the SC20h was a demo/return. Whatever you want to call it, it did not sound as I remember the first time I plugged into one paired up to the way overpriced Marshall 1x12 cab. That amp into the 1x12 had balls. The one I have through either my 2x12 or 4x12 had no balls.

12. Revv23

Revv23 New Member

Haven't met many 20watters with real balls.

It's just part of that trade off.

13. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Return it.

14. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Member

I use a 2203x, and it's my favorite amp; the holy grail of tone, IMO. As much as I love it, I only get to use it for big outside shows, and even then, I can't get it over 3 before the sound guys are pestering me about stage volume. For that reason, I've been using an SC20 head and vertical 2x12 cab or the SC20 combo (depending on the venue), and even then sound guys start whining when I get past 2-3 in volume... again barley getting into the sweet spot. Based on the fact that I play out live every weekend, and I only use my 2203x five or six times a year (using the SC20 80 nights a year), it's pretty obvious that the 2203x is overkill for the most part. If I had to choose between the two, the SC20 is a smarter choice.

I can't imagine what venues these guys are playing to justify lugging around a 100W head and 4x12 cab? Yup, it sounds glorious, but what's the point if you can never use it for what it's for? Secondly, the SC20 sounds great! If I plug it into a 4x12, it sounds every bit as good as the 2203x at the volumes I'm allowed to play at. I don't hear substantial tone degradation when I enable the FX loop... certainly nothing I can notice in the band mix. Yes, going from 20 W mode to 5 W mode, I feel and hear less of what I like, but the FX loop has never bothered me.

I don't live in the boonies or play stadiums where I can wind up a 100 W amp with 4 speakers. Again, the SC20 delivers. I'm practical though... it's part of why I don't drive a 500 hp car. :)

15. southbound suarez

southbound suarez Member

Damn it!
    Why is it that all the practical people always have to make all the good sense?
    They make all of us excessive types just having fun look so irresponsible!
    Maybe thats why all of us eccentric and excessive , libertarian types seem to congregate out in the boonies. Not that we are so antisocial, its just that we dont want to get caught having too much fun at the expense of everyone else.....
    Yeah, my bedroom amp is a Blackface Twin Reverb and I have a model #1959 Superlead plugged into a pair of 1960 412 cabs setup in my living room.
    My daily driver is an old 1991 Ford F150 because I have a Dodge Hellcat RedEye in the driveway and the tags are already expired.
    Luckily I live out in the Desert near Phelan in a doublewide mobile home on 3 acres and a dirt road...... Who has all the fun???
    ( I do! or at least my overactive imagination does!
    Just pulling your leg and kidding around here...
    well, kinda ! Only partially embellished) :blah::lol::drunk::drunk::drunk::D L.oL.
    Damn being practical, reminds me of like that high school social studies teacher, who was always waking me up during the middle of the class!
    Always make me go up to the blackboard when I was sporting my adolescent woodie.
    Why did she flunk me?:funny:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  16. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Here's hoping it had nothing to do with the " woodie"! :rofl:
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

This makes a lot of sense to me!

SuperFleeky likes this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Definitely return it, it's not right.

One thing before you return it, if you haven't already. Try setting the volume on 4 and the preamp volume on 3.5 or 4,....just for the hell of it. I'm sure you got a bad amp and you need to return it, I'm just curious if it'll sound better with that setting.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

how you like the combo?

20. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Member

As far as the SC20 combo, first impressions are very positive. I did put in a 10" Greenback (that's what I prefer with the 2203), but stock (V-type) it sounds great. It's actually slightly warmer than the head through the vertical cab, but that may be due to the one speaker being down... not almost pointing directly at my face like the top speaker in the vertical 2x12 cab is when using the head. I have not had it on stage yet (COVID-19 has stopped that since March), and my next show is outside near the beach (last year I had to wash all the salt film off everything), so I wont be taking it. When I do eventually use it live, I'll write an update, but from what comparing I've done in the studio, I can get the exact same sounds out of the combo that I get from the head/cab... at the volumes I generally play at, of course.
    Don't underestimate the 10" speaker. It delivers, no doubt. I know my Fender Pro Junior is plenty loud for shows despite the tiny cab and 10" speaker. I still wonder what venues these guys are playing where they say a 15 W combo is not enough; anyway... the SC20 combo is exactly what I wanted. It sounds terrific and it's small enough to put sound guys at ease. You guys know how it is; the second a sound guy sees a cabinet big enough to be wheeled in, they give you "the talk" about stage volume and are already poised to focus on your volume before you even plug in. I digress...

The SC20 is also right at the edge for home use. Put it in 5W mode, and you can put it on about 2, right where the amp starts to come alive, and it's not too loud; about 103 dB. It's not quiet enough to late night practice; you have to take the volume down to 1.2 to get it under 100 dB, but by then the tone suffers... a modeling amp or SS would sound better.

Bottom line, the SC20 combo sounds like a legit JCM800 shrunk down in a 1x10 combo. It has the same signature tones, but it certainly doesn't push the same SPLs that a 100 W head through a 4x12. In general, it doesn't matter to me; every place I play amps are miced, so any amp I bring sounds huge out to the audience (I'm wireless, and I've walked out in the audience; it's divine).

scozz and ken361 like this.