JCM 2000 DSL 201 once more, with FEELING...

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by DOCPAGE, Jun 11, 2020.

1. DOCPAGE

DOCPAGE Member

Hi everyone; I’ve posted many times about this amp, made in 1998, Mercury Magnetics OPT; I’m just a few keystrokes away from calling it a piece of S**T and selling it for parts...
    NOW, after replacing the bridge rectifier (thanks to the input from this forum), and it working fairly well, I’ll be playing anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, and intermittently it just STOPS. It’s like a ghost reached around the back and pulled the plug out. Just stops. Pilot light goes out. The end. Then, sometimes after 5 or 6 minutes, it just as suddenly comes back on. Sometimes it DOESN’T come back on at all, but the next day it will. Fuse problems maybe? Any advice, besides selling it for parts (which I’m about to do)? Thanks, as always...
    Chris

2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

The pilot light runs right off the mains input before the power transformer, so if that is going out then there must be some very simple problem in the mains wiring or power switch

thetragichero likes this.
  3. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Is there any way you can get inside when it shuts down and check some voltages?

4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

dont sell it just take it to a quality repair guy.

5. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

IIRC, my DSL401 had a bunch of really crappy push on connectors for the wires to the switches, xformers etc. I would check those as well as the power switch itself. I would also check the actual crimp connections on the push on terminals. Between guitar amps & the equipment I maintain for a living, I have literally fixed over 100 of these stupid things that were not crimped correctly.

6. DOCPAGE

DOCPAGE Member

Well, I have a guy, he replaced the bridge rectifier, but he says the circuit boards are really fragile, he’s not sure how many times it can be taken out....maybe I find a new guy....

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yes, find a new guy. FAST

8. DOCPAGE

DOCPAGE Member

Lol

ricksdisconnected likes this.