>

I've Told You About These Strap Locks Before

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, May 14, 2021.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

2. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

Amazon is flooded with cheap copies of the old Schaller design. They seem to work ok, but the screw seems to be softer steel and the little mushroom bit on the strap portion sticks out further (one of my bugbears about the Schallers).

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I won't buy knockoffs. My ethics won't allow it. I buy only genuine Schallers and have no problem with their much higher list price.

I have a BIG problem with the damned Chinese ripping off everything and selling those ripoffs to people for cheap. There must be no cultural prohibition against stealing and copying among the Chinese.

Headache likes this.
  4. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Blaming the Chinese is a bit shortsighted and utterly racist. If we didn't buy their crap, they wouldn't make it, eh? Let's keep a bit of perspective, please. It's not Chinese fault, it's the compulsive buying and the consumer culture: I like it, I want it, the cheaper the better. Look at all those pedalboard full of joyo or behringer knockoffs. Who's the buyer? Surprise surprise, for the most part it's not the Chinese!
    It's a global disease and it's easy to blame anyone else but ourselves.

johan.b and GregM like this.
  5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Being aware of what's out there is important.

I don't want to have garbage but why spend more than you need to?

I use Schaller strap locks and these Wolfride things are not that but frugal is good with finances.

6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I use genuine Grolsch gaskets. :fever:

$6 got me a bag of 25 of them from ebay. That's a set of strap-locks for 12 guitars at about $0.50 per set. They work great without having to change any parts.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  7. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I guess you don't play Marshall amps then, since copying a Fender amp was unethical.

GregM likes this.
  8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Totally different scenario. Fender's circuit is the Western Electric circuit which is based on the Williamson amplifier circuit. And none are straight detail for detail knockoffs of the other.

9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Everything in this world is either an attempted straight copy or a progression of variations on a copy, small to large. It's how the world progresses, a lot like evolution. Variations often begin with emulation, whether in music, products, life in general. Innovation isn't born from a vacuum. It emanates from previous existing things filtered through different brains with different life experiences. Variations of products can be anything from design to prices and beyond.

The only things that bothers me in the least on this topic is someone trying to pass off counterfeits by using the same name, or someone trying to reign as a designer emanating from a vacuum and trying to prevent others from continuing progress.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Just a little heads up guys, my friend put Fender:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...p.ds&msclkid=48be95603e5f18c8f947f5ffe0afed2c

Schaller copies on his LP Studio cause they were CHEAPER! Well after about 3 months of taking the strap on and off to get it in the case the pull button popped off and the threaded part went too far into the housing making it impossible to get it back on and impossible ( almost ) to get the housing off.

I had to place the housing in a small vise ( a nut vise to be exact) lock it in place without messing up the guitar and drill a hole in the housing large enough to release the spring tension on the plunger. PITA. Finally got it off.

All this to save 10 bucks. If you use Schallers buy Schallers they are made with better materials. The Fender are made in China to the lowest demoninater i/e they are cheap shit.
    Avoid them at all costs.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.