I've joined the JVM Club!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Antony75, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Antony75

Antony75 Active Member

I've finally done it, after weeks of being a cheap bastard and waiting for the right one, I managed to get myself a JVM410H on fleabay this weekend for the bargain price of £490. Very minor wear to the tolex, but easily sorted, other than that, looks pretty good. Guy says it's not had much use, just selling it on as he can't be doing with carrying heavy amps/heads around anymore. Fingers crossed it's all good. I'll report back once I've got it and checked it out. Need to start looking at tubes etc. now, so very exciting.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  2. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

It's funny how people assume that this is the first thing that they must do!

Why? What's wrong with the VALVES?

If you want to change the sound of the amp, there are better ways (including mods, graphic in the loop, etc) - but I would get used to the stock sound before you decide that you want to change it!

If it's just for reliablilty, how much use has it had? Unless it has had 1,000's of hours of playing, I wouldn't worry! My 2009 JVM is still on (most) of the original valves except one pre-amp valve, which failed.

Sounds like you got a good buy, though - Enjoy it!

marshall1967, Antony75 and Far Rider like this.
  3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Congrats, but we'll need some pics!

Antony75 likes this.
  4. Salsg

Salsg Well-Known Member

Grats. It's a great amp

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Antony75 likes this.
  5. kmanick

kmanick New Member

Congrats! I got my 210H used , have not changed any of the tubes but did 4 mods to it that brought it to another level

Antony75 likes this.
  6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

congratulations. pics when possible, please.

Antony75 likes this.
  7. Antony75

Antony75 Active Member

I typically change the tubes/valves, tomato, err, tomato? on a 'new' second hand amp, just because you can never be too sure how many hours they've had on them, whether they're good or not, my own peace of mind etc. but yeah, it's a fair challenge, chances are they're good with plenty of life left in them. I'll see what they are and how I get on with them once I've checked the bias etc.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  8. Kais

Kais Member

congrats, upload dem picz

9. Antony75

Antony75 Active Member

So here it is, with my TSLs. First impressions, OD1 Orange is all the tone I've ever wanted, it sounds unbelievably good, as does the clean channel. Crunch needs to be cranked to sound good, but I'm sure I'll get there with some time and patience, and OD2 is bat**** crazy! The most noticeable thing to me is how easy it is to dial in a good, useable tone quickly. Compared to the TSLs, where it gives you a great tone, but takes a hell of a lot of tweaking. It's pretty intuitive and the channel switching is sooooo much better than my other amps

Took the back off and checked the bias, both sides were at 68, so I tweaked them up a notch to 70.

Couldn't really get the NS-2 to work as well as it does with the TSL in a X-pattern, so re-routed the pedal board to use the NS-2 as per the manual, and it works perfectly:

Guitar>Input>Output>Amp Input
    NS-2 Send>Compressor>EQ>Phaser>Tuner>NS-2 return.

Amp Loop Send>Chorus>Delay>Amp Loop Return (set to 100% Wet)

Was a little worried about the amount of noise it might give when turned up having read some comments and reviews, but I'm not getting any of that with this set up, seems to be working perfectly at the moment.

Band rehearsal on Tuesday, so really looking forward to hearing it in the mix with the rest of the guys, but I'm sure I'm not going to be disappointed.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Sweet !!

Ya know what they say right ???

" 2 heads are better than one "

In your case you have 3 !!!!

NICE !!

11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

1. Love the TSL100 head.
    2. My 410H crunch channel is great, but crunch/green needs to have the gain cranked to max for me to hear anything, but it does sound great; crunch/orange and crunch/red are much easier to work with so I end up using them more for performance.
    3. Yeah, I think of OD2 orange and red modes as brutal, vicious, and aggressive tones.

"Intuitive" is a great word I've heard others use to describe the process of working with all the front panel controls. It's just so painfully simple to relate to the front panel.

I recommend trying MIDI technology found on the rear of the amp. Though you might not use it now, MIDI has the potential to expand the versatility of the amp. For example, a MIDI connected footcontroller will expand the "preset mode" option you already have with the stock footswitch by giving you more presets that can be saved within banks of a MIDI connected footcontroller. Throw in either a multi-effects unit or rack unit that have MIDI capability and you get even greater control over your sound. I use a MIDI connection between a multi-effects unit and the JVM-it is such a bad ass experience! If you find your musical needs need expanding, consider using MIDI-based technology in the future.

People here and at the JVM Forum have talked a lot about different methods/approaches for dialing the amp. I've settled a way that works best for my needs (as I'm sure you will, too), but it's so great to read what others are doing. Here is a link to a thread in this forum about one of those alternative methods; give it a read next time you are wondering "what else can I get out of this thing?": http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/20988-onorthodox-way-dialing-eq.html

68mA per side is a good setting for both the health of the components and for getting great tones. I, too, have mine set at 70mA per side (set at the factory) without compromising the health of the components or tone of the amp; sounds good.

I, too, use a Boss NS-2 with my 410H. I used the X-pattern for awhile, but didn't really like the results; I got better results using it only in either the FX loop or out front. I settled using the NS-2 out front (I use another gate in the loop), but for some weird reason it works best if I use a patch cable to connect the NS-2's send/return loop even though I put nothing in the NS-2 send/return loop! Crazy pedal, man, but it's cool and so it stays. I use other things in the loop, but keep a tuner out front and maybe/sometimes a wah pedal.

Yeah! Noise isn't too much of an issue for me, either. When I read other people complain about some aspect of noise, I tend to think there is more to situation rather than a "bad design" given my own positive history with the 410H.

As far as the amp goes, controlling noise includes selecting good tubes, good gear maintenance, and not using very extreme settings...and a little noise gate from time to time helps.

What kind of music do you play? Covers? Originals? Both? I'm sure it'll be a good experience.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member

Wow. Between those three amps, you have enough knobs to choke Linda Lovelace. :lol:

Seriously, though, the JVM410H is one seriously bad-ass amp. I love mine, even though it doesn't get much of that love in the flight case.