It's Over Baby!

Riffraff

Reaction score
riff will get it. go back and reread lol.
he knows damn good and well im a fan.
I totally get you brah. :cheers:

Here's the weird part about that one, I started with my Bassman and got about halfway in when I started smelling something getting hot and had to shut it down. It was my attenuator, LOL! That amp is a little too much for it when I push it hard with a boost. I have a nice old pair of JAN Sylvania 5881's I can put in it to drop the wattage a bit to fix that but I need to rebias it. I tried to do that but found my plate resistors had drifted quite a bit and I don't have any 470 ohm resistors to replace them with. I tried to use a few higher value ones in series but it wasn't right and the amp sounded like sh*t . The last thing I want to do is burn up such a nice set of tubes so that's sidelined until I get some parts in. I'm gonna try the tube balance to adjustable bias mod in that so I can avoid cooking those tubes. The plate voltage is pretty high in that amp but I should be able to get it under control and those are tough old tubes that can handle it as long I can install a way to throttle it down a hair.

Anyway, I wanted to finish that and thought a minute about what I have that might be able to get close enough to the same tone. Out came the Tweaker 15 to the rescue. ;)

It took a little knob twiddling and OD trial & error but I think I got it close enough to not be a noticeable change.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

Here's the weird part about that one, I started with my Bassman and got about halfway in when I started smelling something getting hot and had to shut it down. It was my attenuator, LOL! That amp is a little too much for it when I push it hard with a boost. I have a nice old pair of JAN Sylvania 5881's I can put in it to drop the wattage a bit to fix that but I need to rebias it. I tried to do that but found my plate resistors had drifted quite a bit and I don't have any 470 ohm resistors to replace them with. I tried to use a few higher value ones in series but it wasn't right and the amp sounded like sh*t . The last thing I want to do is burn up such a nice set of tubes so that's sidelined until I get some parts in. I'm gonna try the tube balance to adjustable bias mod in that so I can avoid cooking those tubes. The plate voltage is pretty high in that amp but I should be able to get it under control and those are tough old tubes that can handle it as long I can install a way to throttle it down a hair.

Anyway, I wanted to finish that and thought a minute about what I have that might be able to get close enough to the same tone. Out came the Tweaker 15 to the rescue. ;)

It took a little knob twiddling and OD trial & error but I think I got it close enough to not be a noticeable change.
what, that was the tweaker 15 bro?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I’m too tired RD!!!
ok you said in a above post," Very nice sounding and playing...very soulful...love it, good job!"
i said "yeah that all he knows how to do" as-in
EVERYTHING he does is nice sounding, nice playing.
"he doesnt know anything else".

Riffraff

Reaction score
im telling you, this is probably the biggest over look "bedroom" amp of all time.
so many missed the damn bus on that one. me included.I've

I agree. There was a moment when I included it in my mental list of things I want to sell this year but that's not happening. It's too valuable a tool to have available for situations like I just described.

JParry335

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don’t roach that amp man! It’s a keeper for sure. You make it sound great. Mine is in need of some plate resistors I just haven’t been able to get to it yet.
Great playing as always Ron!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I agree. There was a moment when I included it in my mental list of things I want to sell this year but that's not happening. It's too valuable a tool to have available for situations like I just described.
once had a chance to grab a head and cab for $250. didnt jump on it.
yes im a damn tard.
guy still had it and has never used it. he like doing things through his Iphone.
he not a player at all just has shit to say he has it. i taught him 3 chords about 7 yrs ago. he still hasnt learned them lol.
im gonna hit him up soon for that setup see if he bites. hes the guy i gave the 2015 LP traditional to.
all that crap is hanging in his man cave as dacor only.

Riffraff

Reaction score
I placed a parts order yesterday and included some stuff I can use to build some bias probe style test leads with so I can use a couple of DMM's to make monitoring it's vitals easier while adjusting the bias.
Thanks for the kind words brother. :cheers: