It's A Job...

Torren61

Reaction score
Yeah - did you have a phone signal out there?
No way. We have a lot of places where there is no phone signal. I DID have a n emergency satellite beacon. It has a lot of features and I can text with it as long as I have a clear view of the sky. The pics with the winding road has a signal. That's not very far from my house, actually. About thirty minutes or so.

Torren61

Reaction score
Exactly.

I mean, as he's being shredded to pieces by a grizzly bear, he needs to be able to text his wife and tell her he's going to be a little late for dinner...you know, because he IS dinner.
It's not the bears you have to worry about. They turn and run as soon as they hear you. I have podcasts playing on my phone which is in my pocket so bears can hear it. It's the mountain lions. You have a cat? Can it jump pretty high from a stand still? Does it like to ambush things? Does it have a full set of "murder mittens"? Multiply that in size by 20. Scared? I look up, often.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
It's not the bears you have to worry about. They turn and run as soon as they hear you. I have podcasts playing on my phone which is in my pocket so bears can hear it. It's the mountain lions. You have a cat? Can it jump pretty high from a stand still? Does it like to ambush things? Does it have a full set of "murder mittens"? Multiply that in size by 20. Scared? I look up, often.

I know, I was actually gonna say mountain lions instead, lol.

Deftone

Reaction score

Deftone

Reaction score
I'd carry. Mountain Lions are no joke. I always carry in the wilderness. Even if you only use it to make noise, it will run off a Mt. Lion.

I actually always carry everywhere, I'm more worried about humans.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Not allowed to carry in the bush F that !
(Weaponless) You're no longer top of the foodchain, that's dangerous,especially alone.

Something can run you down quick out there

Torren61

Reaction score
Seems like that would be a great job, I'd love it anyway, at least on perfect weather days. Nice views and pics!
July 15th of this year was the 40th anniversary since I got into the electrical line trade. I've done just about everything you can do in this trade except I haven't "bare handed" energized transmission lines. This is the best job I've ever had.
A loud bang device of some sort would probably be as effective. What about a stun gun?
I carry bear spray, a K-bar knife and a Storm whistle. That's the best I can do.
One of those big air horns, lol.
Those are cans of compressed air. It gets so hot here. There is a danger of them exploding and there's a warning on the can about overheating the cans.
Not allowed to carry in the bush F that !
(Weaponless) You're no longer top of the foodchain, that's dangerous,especially alone.

Something can run you down quick out there
I don't know of anyone who has been attacked by a mountain lion or bear. Humans and dogs are the most likely dangers.

Deftone

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who has been attacked by a mountain lion or bear. Humans and dogs are the most likely dangers.
Yea, I'm more worried about tweakers or illegal pot growers than I am Bears or Mt Lions when I'm in the woods.

I have seen bears out there...one shot across the trail right in front of me when I was dirt biking. God damn those fuckers can haul ass.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
July 15th of this year was the 40th anniversary since I got into the electrical line trade. I've done just about everything you can do in this trade except I haven't "bare handed" energized transmission lines. This is the best job I've ever had.

I've seen a couple YouTube videos of those guys climbing those 1,400' cell towers. Man! :shock:

Are your stones that big? lol

Torren61

Reaction score
I've seen a couple YouTube videos of those guys climbing those 1,400' cell towers. Man! :shock:

Are your stones that big? lol
My record for transmission towers is 450'. There's a transmission line coming out of Allen steam plant in TN. It's located at the Mississippi river bordering Arkansas. They burn coal to boil water from the Mississippi river to create steam to turn turbines to generate electricity. There is one tower is on the AR side of the river, one is in the middle of the river and one is on the TN side of the river and the line continues to various substations across the area.

The TN tower is so tall that they need to put lights on it for aircraft avoidance. There's a platform below the top of the tower but still 450' in the air with a transformer on it to power the lights. That transformer went out and we had to replace it. We were so high up that clouds would come in and engulf us and we couldn't be seen from the ground and we couldn't see anything but the cloud from inside the cloud.

It took me 18 minutes to ascend and six minutes to descend. I was around 26 then, iirc.