It went pop ... and I'm scared to go in there! (Modded Marshall content)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by AML, Apr 20, 2021.

1. AML

AML Member

Some time ago, I bought a mid-1970s Marshall that had been modified by Peter Diezel. It's a ... 'significant' ... mod:

dm1.jpg

It looks like two extra preamp valves, but there's also a third one just behind the blue cap.

It went 'pop' a few months ago and I put it on one side to dig into when I have more time on my hands. Well, business always slows down in Summer, so in preparation, I got it off the shelf to take a look-see:

dm2.jpg

Three new valves with 3D point-to-point components directly on the sockets. This might be a bigger job than I expected. :-o

I wonder if Peter kept a schematic...?

It does (did!) sound glorious, but I can see why he switched to PCBs for his own high gain amps. Wish me luck. :)

El Gringo, WellBurnTheSky and neikeel like this.
  2. renips

renips Well-Known Member

Would like to know more about how it came to be that he got that amp to mid. Did you bring it to him? Sound clips?

3. AML

AML Member

I don't know the full story. I bought it when it had already been modified. The owner told me that it was one of a few Marshall that PD modded on the way to developing the VH4/etc high-gain monsters we know now.

(Don't have clips yet - will post some as/when it's all working again.)

4. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Where do you plug your guitar into it? :scratch:

6. AML

AML Member

Indeed - there's no guitar input on the front panel, it's tucked around the back - along with footswitch and tube-buffered Send and Return sockets. Those four jack sockets are the ones right by the 6 preamp valves - it's all a bit tightly packed!

7. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Assuming it really is a PD mod. VERY COOL AMP! Although that wiring IS a bit spooky. Diezel is still very much in business. Send pics and an info request to their contact us on their webpage. If it really is his, I bet he would be thrilled to fill you in.

Kelia likes this.