Isolated Power Supplies for pedal boards

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by mad5066, Feb 28, 2021.

1. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a lot more companies throw their hat in the ring making "isolated" power supplies for pedals. Seeing the physical dimensions, I'm having a hard time believing that they are truly isolated power supplies since I doubt it has a toroidal inside unless they've gotten much much smaller. Having a regulator per tap does not making it truly isolated in my mind as they still share the same ground, like some MXR stuff and cheaper joyo. You need a single transformer tap per dedicated isolated line. Unless they've come up with a new way of doing this that I don't know about allowing it to be a smaller form factor? But stil,l even if it was several dedicated switching supplies, one per line, that still isn't truly isolated in terms of how I'm considering it. Could that be how Cioks, or fender's new line is doing?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. mad5066

Ok, CIOKS actually is isolated and I guess they had custom transformers wound that are much thinner in profile. I have the truetone isolated one and the custom audio one that are physically larger.
    Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 8.51.42 AM.png

3. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

i use an old laptop (19vdc) wall wart through a 12v and then a 10v linear regulator (giving me 9.81v like a nice fresh battery) and a daisy chain. works fine for me in my board made from a scrap of 3/4" ply

SkyMonkey likes this.
  4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

:photos:

5. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

ain't pretty but it works

[​IMG]

SkyMonkey and ricksdisconnected like this.
  6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I recently decided to get a PSU solution for my 8-pedal, 'play at home' pedalboard.
    A 1700mA daisy chain worked silently for all but one pedal, a Boss RC-3.
    The Cioks range were some of those I considered, but one of my pedals draws 500mA, so even the DC10 is out (400mA max).

In the end I've gone for an Ammoon Isolated Power Supply that uses a 12V 2A 'Wall Wort' to supply an isolated 9V splitter box under the board.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JNDWQRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This was on a recommendation from a member of another musician forum.
    It'll be getting here from China (I think) in a couple of weeks, so I post my impression when it comes.
    But at less than a third the cost of the DC10 (in the UK), I had to give it a shot.
    Admittedly, I have blown some of the savings on a set of 'better' and 'shorter' Rockboard adapters than the bulky 60cm ones that it's supplied with, but I suspect the Cioks comes with 'far too long' adapters too.
    Also, having the actual transformer 'off-board' means the EMF cannot interfere with the signal path.
    This guy proves the 'Isolation' of his purchase at 3:20.

61YxfbCG2LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71Uq1iehfkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  7. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I personally like the concept of a rechargeable battery pack power supply. It frees you from the need to run an AC power cable alongside or near your signal cables! Several years ago, I bought a BoxKing and it's been great for my use. Unfortunately, this brand seems no longer available and is a little "cheesy" in some ways, but still a fantastic concept. While the outputs are not isolated from each other, the isolation from AC is a huge improvement. I get 10 to 12 hours of fairly heavy use on a full charge and if it gets low (from forgetting to charge it) it operates on it's wall wart. Some guy on one of the forums I frequent designed and built his own and I've been trying to find it, but have had no luck! I'm surpeised there are not more offerings of this type! It certainly fixes a lot of issues!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FWK46G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just Sayin'
    Gene

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Lots of great things can happen with regulated pedal power. You can actually change the affect of the effect and give it a different characteristic, nuance or artifact with voltage..

9. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I agree - a lot of the cheaper so-called isolated PSUs are nothing of the sort! A giveaway is usually the light weight! Often these units will have separate 9V outputs - but the 0v will be common to all the output sockets!

I bought such a cheap "MOOER" unit. it was terrible! with a high-gain amp like my JVM, clean power (with no ground loops) is essential!

I ended up with two VOODOO LAB units. These are not cheap, but they are the best. They have a torroidal transformer, and true-isolated outputs!........

mad5066 likes this.
  10. mad5066

Yep, what annoys me is a lot of companies marketing claims isolated when I know for a fact they aren't. Best way to really confirm is with gut shots of the circuitry.

spacerocker likes this.
  11. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

mad5066 likes this.
  12. adew1

adew1 Active Member

Which ones?

13. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Yeah you have to research before you buy. Some units are just daisy chains in a box. The price reflects that also.

14. mad5066

Usually anything under $100 bucks. Donner, joyo, etc.

15. snark

snark Active Member

I've been using these expert series power supplies for a couple of years and they are very good....

https://yankee.com.pl/