Is this Speaker OK to use?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by KraftyBob, Jul 10, 2020.

1. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Some of you may remember about 2 years ago I bought a headless MG 250DFX to refurbish and convert to a 1x12 for my DSL40C. The guy I bought it from was using it as a 2x12 cab and it had a pair of Mesa V30's in it. One of the speakers had voicecoil rub and the other, while no rub, measured 7.3 ohms but was labeled a 16 ohm speaker. I'm not a V30 fan so in my basement it went.

A good friend of mine is thinking about getting a speaker cab and I'd be happy to give him the V30 that doesn't rub. But I don't want to give him a bad speaker. On inspection it looks good - the cone/dust cap look great, the spider is intact, the voicecoil doesn't rub, the frame is not bent, etc. My only concern is that it's labeled 16 ohms, but like I said it measures 7.3 ohms - which would normally tell me it's an 8 ohm speaker.

I asked Celestion about it and the only thing they can think of is it was reconed at some point. They are older speakers so that's certainly possible, but if it was aftermarket they did a great job and why not then mark it somewhere that it's now 8 ohms? Also, it has a 444 cone - how easy it is to get a genuine Celestion 444 cone for a recone job?

If he uses this speaker as an 8 ohm load what's the worst that can happen? He's looking to get a 2x12 but hasn't decided if it will be wired in series or parallel. Right now he's leaning toward the Seymour Duncan Power Stage (4, 8 or 16 ohms) or the Orange Pedal Baby (8 or 16 ohms) to go with his modeler, but he hasn't ruled out a tube amp. These two power amps are both solid state which I know is more forgiving than a tube amp when it comes to speaker load, but do you think it's OK to use?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

It is an 8-ohm speaker.

jeffb, vtrain and KraftyBob like this.
  3. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was mislabeled if not reconed. Sometimes people being people they don't think ahead to mark a change or a mod in equipment and leave out what would happen if someone else not privy to the mod ends up with the unit.

If plugging a 16 ohm speaker in an 8 ohm set circuit if I'm not mistaken it won't hurt the speaker. The amp will not sound or play or sound as loud as if there were an 8 ohm speaker. Many attest to mismatching impedance on purpose to get a different sound (with a tube amp) and never having problems.

If your friend is bothered by it he might want to get a set of speakers that match the impedance his amp is set to see. He should come to a decision. Weigh the costs of doing something right vs gambling just because one has some spare parts lying around.

There still is the matter of if he'll like the sound of just any speakers being used. Proper impedance is one thing, what the speakers sound like for the given amp, playing style is another.

KraftyBob likes this.
  4. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

I’ve had loads of celestions over the years with the wrong impedance on the sticker/ wrong impedance for the model T Number.

I can see why they wouldn’t want to admit that.

Either way your buddy will be fine

KraftyBob likes this.
  5. KraftyBob

Thanks for your reply. My friend has no problem using the speaker and was considering V30’s before I even mentioned I had this speaker. My concern was giving him this speaker and then it ends up causing a problem with his amp.

Thanks

6. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Tell him it's an 8 ohm speaker and let him try it out, no problems.

KraftyBob likes this.
  7. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

My understanding is SS are far less forgiving with speaker load than tube.

8. KraftyBob

You're right. I was thinking about load/no load on an amp and with that, SS amps are more forgiving. But the topic is impedance and I got those two mixed up. Thanks!

9. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    No, it's the opposite. So long as you do not exceed the minimum load, usually 4ohms, it's fine to connect to any speaker to a SS amp. If you connect an 8 ohm speaker to a SS amp rated at 100w output all that happens is half the output, i.e. output will be 50w.

KraftyBob likes this.
  10. KraftyBob

Well obviously I'm all over the place here lol. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Georgiatec likes this.
  11. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

There you go I learn something new every time I log on to MF.
    :cheers:

Georgiatec and KraftyBob like this.