...is the stuff still out there?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by VanillaGorilla, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

Just razing you. You obviously take great pride in that amplifier being correct in your eyes. It's only fair to state my own super attention to detail and at times, obsessive standards for my own gear.

Ivan H likes this.
  2. playloud

playloud Well-Known Member

Very nice! Was this in Aus??

3. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

So you got it! Congrats! Its super clean! Inside out! :)

4. London John

London John Well-Known Member

Hull. Its twin sister came from Hull too, found that 15 years ago, also extremely clean.

playloud and tomsvintage like this.
  5. Derrick111

Man, Hull must be a magic place... I got a boat load of stuff over there and The Who recorded the best record in history there!

tomsvintage likes this.
  6. London John

Yeah, Rich and I go way back.......

pleximaster likes this.
  7. playloud

Ah, that makes more sense. Import restrictions into Aus were really tough in the 60s - hence all the local brands "inspired" by Marshall/Fender in that era (some of which are great, e.g. Goldentone!)

If you come across a real vintage Marshall/Fender, it's highly likely to have been imported later by someone who knew exactly what it was worth. Which means fewer sleeper deals, unfortunately.

8. London John

It's curious, I believe that import tariffs from US into Aus were low in the early 60's. I'd have to research it and I'm terminally lazy. Seems lots of gear ended up here. After not buying anything for three years, I've bought 14 guitars, two basses and five amps this week! A lot of those came into Aus new.

9. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

You all are a bunch of cork sniffers! You know it’s bad when you can differentiate between original solder and retouched solder by its smell, lol

Bluesrock and DaDoc like this.
  10. Derrick111

I can do it without even opening up the amp.

playloud and tomsvintage like this.
  11. Doug Doppler

Doug Doppler New Member

Hey Ben! Great thread. Last year I 'had' to find a pinstripe 1982 cabinet, and found one after much searching on Reverb. Date appropriate quad of speakers that may or may not be original to the cab, and herein lies that reality...

In the '80s and '90s, 'customizing/modding' this gear was commonplace, as I'm sure you realize. Over the past year I've gotten excited about 'tall' cabinets and now own Ampeg V4/V2, Peavey Mace/412F, and a JH100 stack (which wildly exceeded my expectations). If you're exceedingly patient, don't 'have to' buy the first on that comes up, and have resources like @BygoneTones (THANK YOU) you can have an idea of what to look for and know it when you see it. There IS still original gear out there, and there are some great peeps who can and will help along the way. My suggestion to you and anyone 'serious' about this stuff would be to pick the thing you're going after and do all the research so you know to whatever extent.

The V2 cabinet (tall 4x12) had three variations of speakers and once I did the research to find what the options were I could make a better decision. As an example of the 'road to madness' that journey entails, there are hardcore fans of all three speaker options that cab came with, and I had to weed through all that to choose what I thought would be best. Per that cab (1969 I believe), I actually found it online at a Guitar Center in North Carolina, they shipped it on a palette for which I paid $40 on the shipping. If the cab were bunk, I'd have eaten the shipping, but I knew what I was looking for and the local GC is the place when people need cash now, they tend to go.

THAT said, I bought a Mesa 'half-back' cab from them that someone had swapped the speakers on that I returned locally and as I recall I ate the shipping on. Now, per that lesson I have the store pull the back of the cab and/or the grille to verify what's in there. When I was looking for a pinstripe cab, one came up at GC Hollywood, and I had the sales guy pull the back off the cab off, and sure enough the wiring harness and codes were both wrong. There are people who willfully hustle GC not fully realizing they're actually/potentially hustling a CG customer who's not in the know. Bygone Tones has been my biggest and best asset in Marshall cab / Celestion speaker world per the dates codes and amazing depth of field. Cannot say enough for how much I appreciate the invaluable (and free) service provided!

Again, my suggestion would be to find something that moves you, get the depth of field you need to know what you're looking for and what you're looking at, and it is out there.

Hope that's a help ~ Doug:)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Ivan H and playloud like this.
  12. playloud

Wow, that sounds like a good haul... Leave some for the rest of them!

I know in general tariffs were pretty bad in the 60s, and then got lifted progressively from the early 70s onwards. Currency controls also made importing stuff cumbersome.

That said, most of what I've heard about how this affected the gear market specifically amounts to anecdotes and hearsay (e.g. the preamble to this article). I wouldn't be surprised if there were special concessions for the US, for example.

13. Ivan H

Ivan H Active Member

Tarrifs & duties etc during this era, while maybe not being extremely high, were high enough to make the average person look to locally produced products rather than imported stuff. There were quite a number of amplifier manufacturers, some of them building quite good amps too (I regret letting a few go). Some also produced some incredibly LOUD (high wattage) amps too, during what became known as the Aussie "wattage wars", see here
    https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/the-bigger-the-better-aussie-amps-of-the-sharpie-era/
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    playloud likes this.
  14. playloud

Thanks for this - really interesting read. Do you have any experience with EB Amps/Cabs in Sydney? Thinking about getting a cab made.

Ivan H likes this.
  15. Ivan H

Ivan H Active Member

I do know of EB Amps/Cabs but have no experience with. You could also try The Speaker Factory, I believe they supply Aussie made cabs, or look/ask on the Aussie Guitar Gearheads forum. I haven't been there in quite some time, but there was a couple of guys offering their locally produced cabs. Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    playloud likes this.
  16. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Member

20211117_120050.jpg

...i guess it still is ;-) ... found this one yesterday... i am so happy, after searching for almost 2 years, i finally found one of these!

17. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

There ARE still good deals to be had if one happens to be in right place at the right time..

I just found a Soldano Hot Rod 50+ for about two grand..One of the older ones that was wired by the man himself! I wanted another vintage Marshall but this one is just too good a deal to let get away!

I've got the head on hold, and am going to have to take out a small loan in order to buy it..Should be no problem there.

I wasn't even going to take it for a spin but changed my mind and played a Fender Squire Strat through it (I'm mainly a Strat guy, and wanted to hear it through a single-coil configuration) Holy crap, this thing freakin' ROCKS! It was plugged into a 2X12, and I can't wait to hear it through one of my 4X12's! :jam:

Here's hoping this deal don't fall apart..:fingersx:

18. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

These 2 consecutive serial number JTM45 amps that were probably built during the same week 57 years ago are finally reunited :) I found the top amp in the 80's and just found the bottom amp a month or so ago. The chances of that happening are a real long shot that is still sinking in :) Luckily both were well taken care of ! Much thanks to pleximaster :wub2: and Jono Kirk from the Music Locker :wave:

1009 and 1010 front OK.jpg :)
    1009 and 1010 back OK.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Bill T, jmp45, Derrick111 and 3 others like this.
  19. Derrick111

Holy crap! When Mitch Colby was still at Marshall USA, he and I had consecutive serial numbered Parks from the mid 60s which was pretty stupid rare. They were very low serial numbers too. When he sold it (I forget who he sold to) it was out of my window of affordability, so the match up was not meant to be...

jmp45 and tomsvintage like this.
  20. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Hey Derrick111 ~ That's a cool story :) I have had a few similar that got away. Mitch and I have done some trading and I have always wanted a cloth front Park 45 :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Derrick111 likes this.