Is the JCM 900 and Silver Jubilee similar?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jchrisf, Dec 6, 2020.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I'm been playing a lot of Amplitube 4 lately and they have the best Marshall modeled amps I have tried. I found that I really like their JCM 900 and Silver Jub. I've never played a real one. I found they had a similar tone that I liked and they both have strange gain and volume controls.

Do they have a similar tone/circuit?

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not really. The Jube's tone follows the anode of V2B while a 4100 follows the cathode of V1B. Not 100% on how much difference this makes but the values in the tone stacks are also different.

3. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I seem to like them both and the way I dialed in the modeled ones they sounded similar. They are both a lot more versatile than the 800 and Plexi which I also like. I kind of think the new DSLs can get the tones of the 900 and Jub that I like.

Spooky88 likes this.
  4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

A DSL won't really sound like a Jubilee, a Jube has extremely responsive EQ and the tone stack is in a differemt part of the circuit as pointed out. The LED clipping is different too. While the Jubilee can be made very bright as required, the mid control affects a lower frequency than most other Marshalls and they tend to be darker amd very thick, smooth distortion.
    If you are looking at the real thing you have to try them out.
    While versatile there is a compromise in the sgared gain with the Jubilee series. I think of mine as like a 2 mode , single channel amp.

BftGibson, scozz, Trelwheen and 6 others like this.
  5. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

No, nothing alike. I have both, see proof photo in Full Stack Friday. The JCM 900, at least the model I have, is a an awesome amp but my go to amp is my Jubilee. Since that photo was taken I have added a JMP 2203 Full stack and still my go to set up is my jubilee. @Jethro Rocker is spot on too.

6. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I’m also in agreement with @Jethro Rocker. I owned a DSL at the same time as a Jube (still have my 2555SL) and the DSL was brighter and didn’t have the same growl as the 2555. I tried to modify my DSL to get the red channel closer to the Jube, but that amp is ultimately inimitable. Also, there are a few different JCM900s. I have no real experience with the DR or MKIII JCM900s, but I can say that the SLX is definitely different.

jchrisf likes this.
  7. Flat5th

Flat5th Active Member

Find a way to play real ones and see what all the talk about true tube amps is really all about. Some of this new modelling stuff sounds good,as bad as I hate to admit it. However,no modelling amp will be as organic,full,and in your face as a well honed tube amp doing it's job correctly. As for the jubilee vs. the jcm900 I personally prefer the jubilee by far. A lot of people love the 900's and I can't fault anyone for that if it does what they want. However, I had a really nice 900 on hold and after repeatedly listening to it I decided it really could not do anything better than my 87 2204 JCM800. Something about Marshall seems to have been not as organic and full after the JCM800 series was replaced by the 900 series. The extra gain added to the 900's just sounded too artificial to my ears. Let me state that I am not a super high gain player and as I understand it some people really like the extra gain in the 900's,but it just did not sound as good as the 800's to my ear and a JCM800 with the right boost pedal will easily put you right into 900 territory with a lot more balls. I also found the volume to be lower on the 900's. Not that I need the full wrath of a JCM800,but that extra punch seems to come out even at lower volumes in the JCM800's.Be aware that the jubilee was a bit of a strange bird for Marshall at the time and they only made them for one year. They have more gain than a normal 800,although one of the good techs on this site will have to offer their two cents to explain why. I believe there is a clipping diode in the jubilee which is not present in any of the normal JCM800's. That's where the jubilee gets the extra gain. I believe it is pretty much a standard JCM800 with a clipping diode and couple off other switching tricks. Someone please jump in and correct anything I have said that is not quit right.

Ray Baker, jchrisf and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. anitoli

I don't think the Jube has much more in the way of gain, there are only two triodes used and the next tube is fx drive. There are two diode arrays and a third for the rhythm clip. But, the tone stack is after the FX return straight to the PI.

https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2555amp.gif

jchrisf likes this.
  9. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The Jubilee overdrive channel uses LEDs instead silicon diodes. They perform the same function and sound as a cold clipper preamp tube in a high gain amp, but with a lower noise floor. It's an ingenious design.

The MK3 900 may use LEDs too. I think I saw them in a gut shot once.

The Dual Reverb 900 is a different beast. It uses opamps instead of diodes. The opamps are kinda like a clean boost in between tube gain stages.

The 800 models 2210 and 2205 use silicon diodes for clipping.

10. anitoli

4100 used all three, the regular channel used LED's, the boost uses a bridge rectifier and both stages are opamp driven.

https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/cd0189-iss7-0349.pdf

11. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Your description of the 2555X is perfect , i like how you wrote that they tend to be darker and very thick and produce smooth distortion . This is why i fell so head over heels and ears in love with the sound of this sonic treat to my ears !

Jethro Rocker and jchrisf like this.
  12. Jethro Rocker

As mentioned above, LED clipping is essemtially the same as what a tube does. Mine has always sounded great amd for decades I had no idea how the clipping worked.
    Didn't care. My ears were my guide.

13. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

14. Jethro Rocker

I would say so too. 2 Master Volumes, separate gain for each channel.

15. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

+1

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  16. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

As i always say are ears tell no lies and know good from bad .

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have tried a lot of modelers over the years and in my opinion none of the Jubilee models sound anything like the real thing. The Ceriatone clones don't even sound like the Jubilee. The only thing I have found that can get that tone is the Kemper Profiler. The Ceriatone amps just sound like a 2210 to me. Not a bad sound but not what a Jubilee sounds like.

Ray Baker, jchrisf and Jethro Rocker like this.
  18. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Jchrisf , tube amps are great if you have place to crank it . On another thread I posted the pedal I ordered (Hotone Bianary Amp , should be here today)
    It doesn’t have a jubilee but it does have a couple Marshall and on YouTube they sound pretty good . I really like the Diezel and the 800 brit!
    I will report back .

I new a guy that had a Jubilee and they are darker sounding unlike DSL or JCM 900’s .

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Ufoscorpion and jchrisf like this.
  19. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Yep , too dark for my ear .

20. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

2210 is a great sounding amp.