Is The Gibson ES 335 The Most Versatile Guitar Ever Made?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

After thinking a bit more I probably would say the Telecaster is the legit most versatile.
    When we think of jazz we tend to think of hollowbodies but some great players have used teles.
    Of course the blues and teles go hand in hand.
    Same with rock and roll. In a way guys like James Burton and Steve Cropper wrote the blueprint with telecasters.
    R&B, funk - telecasters figured in.
    Country? has any guitar ever so thoroughly dominated a genre of music? No. Teles own country.
    A telecaster can create lots of tones but when you get right down to it no other guitar can peel paint off the walls like a good, blistering tele bridge pickup can. So in that regard it's unparalleled.
    Plus as we all know-
    [​IMG]

or tennis!

2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

OK.

This is subjective.

This is expensive.

I have a Tele; Strat; LP; Flying V; SG; Duo Jet; Sparkle Jet; Metal body guitars; Lip Stick p/u guitar; Baritone; Double Neck; Parlor; Jumbo; Resonator; Jangly; Jazzer; Boutique guitars.

I always come back to a 335.

It does everything I want.

In my mind, it is THE guitar.

Attached Files:

Lo-Tek likes this.
  3. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

Just an observation. I notice that in almost all cases, the opinions are based on personal experience. Which certainly has very understandable merit. But unless one plays every single possible type of music, ones experience limits the breadth that constitutes versatility. To really make that determination, the amount of ground covered is paramount.

4. Norfolk Martin

Norfolk Martin Member

The existence of the 345 would appear to undercut your thesis.

5. jazzdj

jazzdj Member

Answer - NO!

This one is - 1983 thru 1985 Fender Elite Stratocaster.
    It can sound like ANY guitar you want, from a Les Paul to a 6-String Rickenbacker (no easy task) and a Strat, Tele, Jaguar, a ES-335, a ES-175, has no hum or noise, Active Electronics, 7 pickup selections (used push-buttons instead of a switch), alder body for mellow tones, Maple neck with Brazilian rosewood board, Scale Length - 25.5", 12" radius board.
    - Lindy Frallin designed, Fender made Stacked Active Alnico II Pickups and Active Electronics.
    - 2 Push-Pull Tone pots active MDX (mid-range) and TBX (high-range) circuits with 12 dB of gain.
    - Freeflyte tremolo system and Locking Tuners (stays in tune even dive bombing.
    - Biflex truss rod system.
    - Aged Ox bone nut.
    - Roller string trees
    - 21 Jumbo Cobalt Steel Frets (will last forever)
    - (Fender also made an Elite Telecaster, P-bass and Jazz Bass)

Oh, and it doesn't "feedback" howl horribly like a ES-335 (family) does in a studio or on stage. Well. except the no-f hole Gibson "Lucile" and the Mid 80's ES-335 "Studio Model" (a Lucille without the rotary selector and "glitz" also no f-hole) don't feedback either.

1983 Fender Strat Elite.jpg
    fender_strat_elite_body.JPG
    fender_strat_elite_back.JPG
    fender_strat_elite_head.JPG
    fender_strat_elite_keys.JPG
    The ONLY ES-335 that doesn't HOWL feedback like a stuck pig in a studio or on stage. 1985 Gibson ES-335 Studio w/ Hotfinger PuPs.
    1986 ES-335 Studio Hotfingers HBs.jpg

6. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

It is subjective but I am trying to approach it objectively which is why I originally was thinking something like a PRS or a Parker or some such "modern guitar" would be the most versatile.
    But if you consider all the genres that Telecasters are used for and all the music created using them it is very, very impressive. Much more so than a 335 which is really more of a niche guitar.
    Let's face it - you love the 335 - you're probably mostly expressing a personal bias for them. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    :cheers:

7. groovenev

groovenev Member

ES1080.jpg I have to say mine is very versatile, it's the 1978-79 model last year of production... It has a factory split coil humbucker setup which really adds lots of different tones to the sound. I have been able to cover lots of different types of music with it... but like any simi-.. with a Marshall you have to watch the feedback... LOL it heats up real fast...

8. TonyK

TonyK Active Member

I've often wondered what an ES-335 would sound like with split-coil humbuckers and didn't know this existed! I have a 2000 335 which I love dearly, but generally prefer the tones I get from my American Standard Tele and a G&L Legacy (strat).

How does the 335 sound with single-coils? I'm very curious as I've often thought about getting a semi-hollow Tele :) Obviously if this isn't cool to ask here, perhaps a new thread might be warranted, but in fairness, it does address the question of the ES-335 as the most (or not) versatile guitar ever made!

GregM likes this.
  9. groovenev

groovenev Member

It has a very nice thinner edgy bite. Good lead sound and also with tone rolled back chords are really full. The semi Tele' I had a 70's single f hole model for a period in the 80's it was nice but tough to get that true tele sound , you know what I mean? It was somewhat more open sounding... nice though...I have a HotRod 52' now that is the best of both worlds IMO...

TonyK likes this.
  10. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

bar none, the most versatile guitar ever made is the tele.
    minus all the irregular electronic bs being put out today.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    groovenev likes this.
  11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

12. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

Personally i would pick a Gretsch Broadkaster over a ES335

oh, and i did..

img_1112.jpg

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  13. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member