is it safe to buy a guitar using paypal ?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Exotic, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

is it safe buying a guitar using paypal away from ebay or reverb ,buying a guitar from someone you met on a forum that has been on there for years ,that has a youtube channel ,that has offered 2 people with businesses as refrences . is it safe? that had no problem doing a facetime call ?and also that has a ebay id?

fitz288 and StrummerJoe like this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

there is at least a slight risk to everything.

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Just make sure you don't fall for the scam of being asked to send the money using the "send money to friends and family" option.

If you do that, you lose ALL buyer protections and PP won't raise a finger to help you if you don't get what you paid for.

4. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

When I feel any hesitation I listen to my gut.

Too many guitars through legit means to take a chance.

I mean, is it a super rare guitar or a super deal you can't find elswhere without due dilligence?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  5. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

I accepted PayPal for payment on an amp that I sold to another MF'er.
    (unconditional guarantee, still in effect)
    Never paid for something direct to another individual.
    Is your concern not getting it, or not liking it?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    StrummerJoe likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Have the seller send you an invoice through paypal with a description of what you're buying. You will be protected.

Mike Drop, JJ119, TheToneDig and 3 others like this.
  7. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

wow those are all very good ideas thank you . it is a rare guitar ,once it ships i will post again . yeah i'm worried about the guy not sending the guitar and keeping the money ,but i'm confident that it will be ok if i follow the rules and plus i trust the guy ,he's night and day from some other clown that asked for friends and family and through zelle and sent me photos from an old reverb sale .

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Well-Known Member

I recently did a F&F payment for a Les Paul. Through Marketplace, buy also saw he was in Reverb, and had seen him before. 100s of positive reviews so I felt comfortable.

Just two weeks later I asked for, and received a F&F payment to a forum member (Hamer) for a guitar I sold and shipped.

Both were vg interactions. You can only do what you are comfortable with. F&F saves a fair bit of money, not a scam, but has more risks.

9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Ive bought stuff from forum members like that and never had a bogus deal, it could've went bad though, just never did.

10. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

F h F is less secure. "Safest" way with PayPal is Goods and Services, using a 3rd party courier that you arranged.

11. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Paypal friends and family if you go round and collect the guitar and get a receipt. I just do a bank transfer round the sellers house, or cash.

Paypal goods and services, if buying online. Don't trust someone you've never met, because they have a youtube channel!

12. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

i've been on a roller coaster ride ,no not a real roller coaster but a guitar roller coaster .
    to review i currently own 3 guitars(photo1) a 1975 ibanez destroyer that has a stepped neck joint ,has been refinished ,had a neck break repair .and someone had a kahler installed . a 1977 guild style futura that i fit with a floyd rose frx ,both with original cases .
    and 3rd a 1974 or 1975 ibanez open book futura with different screw placement on the pickguard than most , in an epiphone explorer case . lately for some reason that is beyond me ,i have been, coveting an all original explorer type made in japan guitar ,and that is because since on oct 6 2020 ,EVH RIP passed away, the destroyer has been a bit harder to find than usual. so i was willing to settle for a greco ex800 (photo2)in my searches for a greco ex800 explorer ,i stumbled upon an ibanez destroyer ( photo 3 ,not the exact one this is a random photo from the net ) and the seller and i struck a deal , no it wasn't on ebay or reverb and the sites and sellers of these guitars will remain a secret for various sensitive reasons . when and if it arrives safely (God willing ) ,i will post photos of it .

it all started when i got an email from someone i had asked if they had a greco ex800 ,and guess what they did ! but he wanted 2900 for it and i began to wonder if i would have to sell my open book futura .
    but in the midst of emails with this seller ,i got another email stating that i was in the lead for the purchase of an ibanez destroyer .so imagine how i had to go back and forth between both of these splendid guitars and the fact that the ibanez was priced only slightly higher than the greco ,well of course i prefered the ibanez because suddenly it had become within my grasp . so questions came to mind
    1. how much is a greco ex 800 worth?
    2. how much is an ibanez destroyer worth ?
    3. how much is an ibanez open book futura worth?
    4. should i try to keep my futura or sell it ?
    5. what should i name my 4th guitar ,the others are called the X15 ,the YO7 ,the A77 ,this one has a H77 serial number .

photo1.JPG photo2.jpg photo3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    fitz288 and tce63 like this.
  13. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

it came out ok guitar is here

IMG_4856 (Phone).JPG IMG_4864 (Phone).JPG

StrummerJoe, Kutt, nickfox and 4 others like this.
  14. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Nice! HNGD!

15. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats Exotic! How about Gaping Dorthy? Jest kiddin'.

"Stardust"

:thumb:

16. JJ119

JJ119 Well-Known Member

SWEET!!

HNGD!!

17. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

sorry to ask ,what is gaping dorothy? :eek:

18. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

So much wisdom in your post and I can not agree any more if I tried . Choices and more choices , and choose wisely and buyer beware .

StrummerJoe likes this.