>

Is it just me or has selling gear become difficult?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Jul 31, 2021.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

So I have listed a few items for sale online (I'm in Europe btw) and for months now I can't find buyers. I'm not exaggerating on the price, but all I get is people who are trying to low ball me up to the point where it is ridiculous or they save my ads in their favourites and I get no requests at all.

Right now I have my 1992 ESP M-II listed which easily goes for 1300 - 1500 Euros usually, I put it down to a thousand euros and still no requests. What is happening? It seems like people are broke because of Covid.

Have you had a similar experience? I don't know what the situation is like in the States, I'm wondering. Do tell.

Cheers

2. dodona

dodona Member

I made the same experiences. On the other hand, I luckily sold 4 items after many months within a short period and 4 different buyers. It's strange - indeed.:eek:

3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I think local sales in US for normal stuff are going well with people spending their stimulus money (I think that is correct?). You see similar splurge times around the period when tax refunds hit peoples pockets. Europe is different. With hindsight I think the time to sell was about 8months ago if you want top 'dollar'.
    I've listed on classifieds only a few things recently (not trying that hard) and have sold 3/8 amp heads (at least agreed deals) for different levels of pricing. I will find out what the market is really like when I hit Reverb/Ebay although their fee changes and shipping details are a put off.

4. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I've sold two older Marshalls on CL and find that it's running 3-4 weeks at least to find a reasonable offer. I've got a '79 JMP2203 listed now and I'm starting my 3rd week. I look at reverb's sell history to see what it's been going for and in the last 12 months they have been trending up so I put a top end price as I can always come down. Somewhat conflicted on selling it so I'm going to have to be happy with the price. BTW the only one on reverb - 3 weeks ago - was a modified one in Korea listed at $3600 with free shipping. I won't list on there as I will not accept paypalish nor ship.

Russ

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Higher and higher gasoline prices don't help. It has a ripple effect throughout the whole economy.

6. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Europe is entering the post first covid era. Stimulus checks are mostly over, and people are beginning to realize what's ahead economy wise..

Plus live music has been dead for one year and a half now.. and still has a long way to go before returning.. if it does that is..

PelliX likes this.
  7. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

same here. I used to sell stuff easily on CL but now I can’t even sell a DS-1 for 25 bucks! Meanwhile, others are selling their expensive gear 10 dollars cheaper than new. wtf?

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  8. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I've had an amp up forever. Tons of interest since it's a rare and limited Marshall, but no sell. I've sold a guitar and few other things recently though. Seems everyone wants a "deal". I you're willing to take a little kick in the balls your stuff will sell.

dodona?? Where you been??

9. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Ha try selling Analog PA gear you think guitars are tough. Everyone wants digital boards and powered cabs now. Couple that with less and less places to play and add into that COVID and your rack of Klark Tek and Ashly stuff becomes a bar stool.....Albiet a sturdy barstool with nice casters and cool EAW stickers on it.:nutkick:

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  10. CroTone

CroTone Well-Known Member

I actually managed to sell some equipment recently...I think that is largely due to the fact that my equipment is in pristine condition and I've put prices about 10-20% lower than the rest of "competition".
    I try to be a reasonable man and I think I can discern the difference between the words "used" and "new". Meaning that I usually sell most of my stuff for about 60% of the value of the new, which pretty much is the definition of used gear price.
    Maybe I am retarded, but I cannot understand how something that costs 1299$ new in the store can be sold for 1199$ used on Reverb and you expect someone to snag that deal.
    Some stuff that I put out sold out pretty quickly while I have some items up there for a relatively long time as well.
    As I buyer, the last time I bought stuff from Reverb was about a year ago and did some intense Reverb buying probably somewhere 2-3 years ago.
    Lately, I've been noticing, as many of you commented already in various threads on MF, the prices on the used gear are completely out of line.
    I even stumbled upon some classifieds in which the used item in average condition was selling higher than the NEW ONE IN THE STORE.
    Sometimes I ask myself do these people go out there and do a basic web search to see what is the price of their item new in the store.
    To be honest, I don't pull a trigger on used gear lately at all because the price is not justified. If someone gives me a deal, then I seal the deal.
    Otherwise, I just don't bother with it and go on to buy new stuff from the store instead. With that, I get a warranty period, discounts, financing deals, etc.
    In fact, 90% of all my gear purchases lately were buying new stuff from the store. I gave up on buying used gear at this point in time.
    What's the purpose of buying the same item used for the same price or like 5 dollars less from shady people over the Internet?
    The used gear market is a complete mess now, IMHO, and I won't be giving them my hard-earned dollars or euros anytime soon until they do some reality check.
    I think that the peak of expensive used gear will pass as many of these items will just not sell (because nobody is that crazy to buy used stuff for 10$ less than what's in the store for new), you will get more and more of these things online as they will be difficult to sell and then sellers will be forced to sell them at more appropriate (and definitely more realistic) prices. Or to pull an ad and keep their stuff at home, I don't care.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yup the used market on a whole needs a reality check, I wont buy anything used until that happens...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and Alter like this.
  12. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Hey brotha what Marshall amp are you selling?

ibmorjamn likes this.
  13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I've sold quite a lot to a local Guitar Center. This was mostly last year but i listed some things on CL at good buyer prices. If i get rid of something I price it to move. Same "is that as low as" responses and just about every attempt at communication felt like talking to kids. I said the hell with it. Already knew asking prices so i took it to GC. Did the math and consistently got 70% of online used prices and in the case of some things i had listed they ended up giving me more than I'd listed it for. In and out the door. I was more than good with it.

AlvisX and Trelwheen like this.
  14. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

I think it is more difficult these days . Sad to say, but we may just be stuck with a bunch of gear . Guitar culture is on the wane. It's not what it used to be . Kids are less interested in it as a form of entertainment / recreation , like we all were . It's not our fault ....things change .It's like being a trumpet / trombone player in the 40s

I sure would like to find a couple kids who are in need of some heavy ass obsolete speaker cabinets .........

15. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Ive been trying to sell my heavy PA stuff for a while now. No one wants it even at great prices. Think at my next place Im gonna set it up as the sound for my home theater system lol.

Mitchell Pearrow and AlvisX like this.
  16. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Right ... I have to move in the coming year . Im thinkin I might end up donating my unwanted cabs to a friend's rehearsal space OR a School O' Rock

17. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Oh ...that was a '64 JTM-45 still in box. Finally pushed it for $1050. Glad that's gone.

:fever:

I'm not selling anything at this point.

18. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Months ago all the shops were shut and supply chains for new stuff had dried up. Used prices went up.....especially as people had been given money to stay at home.
    Things are now getting back to "normal". The free money has ceased, people need to pay the rent, but may have been laid off. That LP standard will pay the rent for awhile, so loads more on the market. Now is the time for people with money to buy, but at the right price. Hence all the low ball offers.

19. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I offed my PA stuff for basically pennies just cuz i was tired of storing it, i think i traded it for a Harmony or something.

20. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I guess my mains would make nice end tables lol. I basically offered everything for about 1/8 of what it cost. Ill use it for range fodder before Ill let it go for free lol.