Is anybody actually buying speaker cabs new?

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to for me. I've got a 5153 EVH 412 and an Orange 412. Few OS 112 cabs. Bunch of speakers.

However recently i wanted to try the new MDF made 5150 EVH Iconic 412 cab just to see. Turns out to be a great high gain cab. 160 watts lots of oomph. No where near as dynamic and musical as my other 2 412's but proficient at high gain thump and clarity especially using high volume. I use it for hard rock and up saturation wise. My Iconic head sounds good thru it. My Origin 50H and SC 800H not so much. The Marshallz sound so much better thru the 5153 and Orange 412's.

Otherwise I'd buy used and get whatever speakers I preferred or wanted to try.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
The mystery no name 4x12 B cab I just got with my new to me 2204 has turned into my newest project. I gave it couple weeks to sell cheap but no takers.

View attachment 112485

It looks like a production build to me, all ply cabinet with steel handles and corners and heavy duty casters. I've got the tolex stripped, just need to strip the adhesive fill the voids, apply Duratex and re-assemble. No holes in the grill and I already have four extra Celestions laying around.

Worth the effort? Probably not...but I enjoy the process.

It's an enjoyable process for sure. Knowing what I know now, I should have just went the Duratex route. Tolex got expensive and labor intensive.

charlysays

Reaction score
Either used or I make my own.
I do have an as new but secondhand silver jubilee 2x12 because it was with the 2525 head and I needed the whole rig in a hurry after I sold my (too loud) jcm900 and parted out the old 4x12. I mostly use the head on a 1x12 open back g12-65 cab I made myself though.
Cabs are easy and cheap to make, accurate measuring and fairly basic woodworking is all that is needed.
Sure, doing nice tolex jobs is tricky but if you use a high build speaker paint like tuffcab and roller it on carefully you can get a textured tolex type finish which is much easier to repair than tolex in the inevitable event of damage.

Deftone

Reaction score
It's an enjoyable process for sure. Knowing what I know now, I should have just went the Duratex route. Tolex got expensive and labor intensive.
I'm stoked on my Duratex cab. It's an Avatar 2x12 that was covered in grey carpet.
IMG_2687.JPG

Duratex looks awesome (IMHO) it's tough and it's super easy to apply and repair if it gets chipped. I got a small amount and it was more than enough to cover the 2x12, two Polk Monitor speakers and the top of my Motorcycle lift.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I bought my 1960BV like 20 years ago new. Never felt the need to own another. Most of the time I gig 1x12s or combos anyways. Been actually thinking about picking up a 2x12 but if I do Avatar is only a 30 minute drive from here and I will get what I want.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'm stoked on my Duratex cab. It's an Avatar 2x12 that was covered in grey carpet.
View attachment 112624

Duratex looks awesome (IMHO) it's tough and it's super easy to apply and repair if it gets chipped. I got a small amount and it was more than enough to cover the 2x12, two Polk Monitor speakers and the top of my Motorcycle lift.

That looks really good. Looks just like tolex to me!

Dave J

Reaction score
As for buying new, I am likely to do so soon if I can't find what I am looking for used. But then there is the part where I decide what config I want. I don't want the used market to be the determining factor. I know some of what I am considering is available as new build from a couple of cab makers.

jchrisf

Reaction score
Here's a used cab in excellent condition