Is anybody actually buying speaker cabs new?

AtomicRob

Reaction score
I've never bought a new cab... I prefer to let someone else break in the speakers for a few years. IMHO most guitar speakers, and especially G12T75, sound dramatically better after 10 or 20 years of hard use.

So I look for cabs that have been around the block a few times. If I see "never gigged, smoke-free studio..." in the description like every idiot craigslist seller likes to say, that's a no for me, dawg.

junk notes

Reaction score
Could it be in part, that players current decisions are involving the type of speaker that are installed or are being offered in the cab. Some are needing or are looking for new. Others need an older sound. Like era hunting, needing older speakers.
Of course, you could get a new cab with new vintage era speakers, but that could also be another's take on what they would need (to spend) for their sound (and look).
Or they simply just cannot obtain what they want and decide to go the way of new.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could it be in part, that players current decisions are involving the type of speaker that are installed or are being offered in the cab. Some are needing or are looking for new. Others need an older sound. Like era hunting, needing older speakers.
Of course, you could get a new cab with new vintage era speakers, but that could also be another's take on what they would need (to spend) for their sound (and look).
Or they simply just cannot obtain what they want and decide to go the way of new.
I love cabs—I buy and/or sell one or two every week. Always flipping speakers back and forth—just discovered last night how cool G12H30s sound on top of 2 V30s in a 1960 slant cab.

Paying retail for a new one doesn’t sound very fun right now tho—4 speakers bolted to a box of plywood shouldn’t cost a couple grand

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you snag that Marshall 4x10 that was listed up there last month? I was >this close<

Hell, maybe it was YOU selling it. ha.
No but I was close several times. IIRC it was priced pretty good too..$450 or something? I just think I've drilled Marshall = 12" speaker into my brain for too long is why I talked myself out of it.

Kutt

Reaction score
No but I was close several times. IIRC it was priced pretty good too..$450 or something? I just think I've drilled Marshall = 12" speaker into my brain for too long is why I talked myself out of it.
Yeah $450 is about what I recall too.

Magtr1

Reaction score
I feel bad for you rockers that don’t live near a population center—first thing I do every am is peruse local CL and FBM looking for used cabs. I think I have 11 right now and I just sold one Lol. I’m def a cab/speaker junkie

Love those oversize mesa cabs! Here in SWFL you can usually find old peavey, crate or other non-Marshall 4-12" cabs at reasonable prices. Then there's your VS or MG marshalls for more, and of course a 1960A cab is more, but nothing like the new prices now.

Magtr1

Reaction score
Nothing makes a lunchbox amp sound better than a good 4x12 does!
I got this Mesa Transatlantic 30 lunchbox head (and matching 1-12" cab) in 2014, they stopped making them shortly after. 22 lbs and came with a fitted shoulder bag. Same tubes as a Vox AC30, ch 1 sounds VERY like an AC30 (even has normal/top boost switch) and ch 2 switchable between tweed, Marshall and vintage boogie sounds. Both channels switchable 15, 30 or 45 watts.

Attachments

• 8F87D9C0-3228-4EB1-BD91-A952D4A47AF2.jpeg
    8F87D9C0-3228-4EB1-BD91-A952D4A47AF2.jpeg
    665.9 KB · Views: 3

Belmont78

Reaction score
Just picked up a pr of matching 1960 4x12 cabs last week off CL for $740 total and I just looked at what they are selling for new—no one is actually paying $1600 for one of these, are they?
Yeah for what they're charging for 1960's on guitar center and musicians friend it's like $1,300. So I go through thoman out of Europe and I got mine for $600 shipped. Plus they don't make him out of birch anymore they make them out of like MDF or something.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Just picked up a pr of matching 1960 4x12 cabs last week off CL for $740 total and I just looked at what they are selling for new—no one is actually paying $1600 for one of these, are they?
I admit if I had the money I'd get a brand new 1960TV. But a few years ago I got a Zakk Wylde A cab (I didn't know they came in A, he only uses B) with the same cosmetics and modern wiring for $500. Wouldn't really make sense when everybody is goinf 1x12 and 2x12 anyway.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
$500 Bucks was the going price for a typical 1960 cab in the 1990s

I know that is not now.....
But

GC has had several as of late for the $500 Bucks price range.
Prices seem to be creeping up to the $1000 usd mark, but still have seversl at the $500 Bucks or lower price range.

Here is the real kicker from GC
If you live in the states, they typically charge about $ 38 Bucks to ship a huge 1960 Marshall cabinet form Ca. to NJ.

THAT IS A GREAT DEAL ANY DAY!

$535 PLUS TAX TO YOUR FRONT DOOR.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I sell on ebay and reverb. I wish I could get shipping rates like that.

For the hobby guy like myself, shipping discounts are few and far between.

Makes it tuff to be competitive with prices selling on these sites.

John Stedman

Reaction score
The only cab I ever bought new was my very first when I bought a brand new JCM 800 2204 with a Lead Series slant in 1982. I ended up selling that cab years later for $400.00 to fund a Pentium MMX computer (doh!). I currently have five 4x12 cabs (3 Marshall, 2 Mesa Boogie), one Marshall 1936 2x12 and two bass cabs (Ampeg 6x10, SWR 4x10), all bought used in excellent condition. The last cab I bought was a (used, of course) JCM 800 Lead Series slant in 2021 for $550.00 to replace the one I had sold years before. I'm still looking for a JCM 800 Lead Series straight to complete the stack I started 40 years ago!

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah for what they're charging for 1960's on guitar center and musicians friend it's like $1,300. So I go through thoman out of Europe and I got mine for $600 shipped. Plus they don't make him out of birch anymore they make them out of like MDF or something.
Honestly I can’t believe any company would risk losing so much to do this. Marshall would pull the line in a second. Dude who did that for you should lose his job. Of course that’s not your issue, if you asked and they did it it’s all on them. Not very smart at all tho. I haven’t seen a new 1960 cab sell for $600 shipped in 25yrs.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Wood, tolex, grill cloth, hardware ~ $175 + speakers of choice.
Plus years of training, experience, workshop... stuff I don't have. I don't get along with power tools. :D

That said, I don't need lots of cabs. I own one, yes, only one, 4x12 cab. Traynor used. T75 loaded. Was $399 in exvellent condition. Not really a Marshall brand name but better made.

I have a couple 2x12s and 1x12s as well.

Zagan

Reaction score
I bought a 1960A & 1960B for $500 ea. back in 2016. The A cab was a demo model and has 1 small ding on the front bottom. the B cab has a tear in the speaker grill. At the time these were going for $1000 ea. so I figure I got a pretty good deal. $1600 is ridiculous for these cabs. But I figure it just ups the value of my gear a bit more. I bought stackable, live-in road cases for my cabs as soon as I got them because my last pair got tore up really fast without them. The wheels come off the top case and it clamps down to the bottom case, gives it more stability. I'm planning on replacing the grill cloth on the B cab, soon as I get all the tools and materials.

aliqualiy

Reaction score
I find it hard to think any corporation would take such a significant financial risk. Marshall would quickly pull the line. That guy who helped you out should be fired. Of course, that isn't your problem; if you asked and they complied, that is entirely their fault. However, not at all intelligent. In 25 years, I haven't seen a brand-new 1960 taxi sale for $600 shipping.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new cab in years. The last new one that I did buy was $500 in probably 2005. It was a Randall XL with Vintage 30's. All steel hardware and steel front. Birch ply. Fantastic cab. Those were made in the USA back then. Should have kept it.

I seen online that a new 1960a is $1600. There is no way that those are worth that. I believe there are cheaper options with better build quality. Splawn comes to mind. $1600 is just stupid...

Last cab I bought was a Crate Blue Voodoo in nice condition for $50 (unloaded). They are actually really well built. For that price, you can buy the speakers and still come out good.

There are deals on cabs if you look around. Cabs and speakers are kind of my thing lol. So much in fact that I bought a Peavey 1x12 simply to swap speakers around with!

Deftone

Reaction score
The mystery no name 4x12 B cab I just got with my new to me 2204 has turned into my newest project. I gave it couple weeks to sell cheap but no takers.

IMG_2832a.JPG

It looks like a production build to me, all ply cabinet with steel handles and corners and heavy duty casters. I've got the tolex stripped, just need to strip the adhesive fill the voids, apply Duratex and re-assemble. No holes in the grill and I already have four extra Celestions laying around.

Worth the effort? Probably not...but I enjoy the process.

Last edited: