Is a Vintage Modern circuit board like a JTM45 ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Active Member

"Mod", not "mode". The cathode components on V-1 are similar to the 1987/59 but not quite the same. If you change them to those specs it will likely sound more authentic Marshall. In the basic amp circuit - ignoring the special features - that's the main difference I see. As small as this may seem, it's almost the first thing your guitar sees when you plug in and carries through to the speakers, so I'll gamble it's very important.

marshalltsl likes this.
  2. Point 2 Point

Point 2 Point New Member

Would it be easy enough to do just to check it out? I assume you could change it back ?
    Could it have repercussions downstream?
    I have a 2266
    Thanks

Kelia and Dean Swindell like this.
  3. bobsessed

bobsessed Member

All I can say is, my 2266 Vintage Modern 50 watter was hard to get used to. I'd imagine (never owned one),the design of the JTM45 was easier to dial in quickly, to get a good useable sound. The VM took me a while to get the right sound out of it. I'm of the old-school classic rock mentality, and those tones can definitely be had, just needs tweaking hard. The VM is also a great platform for pedals, so lots of versatility there.

Dean Swindell likes this.
  4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Had a VM and sold it.
    Not impressed.

5. Dean Swindell

Assuming the work is nicely done, simply changing component values in that spot won't cause "repercussions" aside from not liking the sound. I personally don't work on printed circuit boards but if you do and are used to it - very delicate - I think you could put it back or, as I'd probably do, get a shop to do it. Or go 80s/90s style and use a mini switch to change it back and forth. Oh, how the techs back then loved their mini switches!

6. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I think the biggest handicap of the VM is the the Detail and Body controls. Those 2 controls are the very foundation of the amp's tone pallette. While they are supposed to duplicate jumped channels on a 4 hole, they seem to have a greater impact than said 4 hole style amps. I find as long as you keep the Body and Detail within 1 or 2 levels apart the amp will always be very easy to dial in. Getting crazy with the detail knob thins the amp out, getting crazy with the body knob flubs/booms it out. I truly believe this was the amps biggest issue with unfamiliar newcomers, along with the Dynamic Range footswitch confusing people that it was 2 channels, or some type of lead boost.

I personally love the Body and Detail, I find it adds greater control and varity of tones than a typical old school Marshall. Some days I just have fun sitting and experiementing with it.

Call me crazy but I also enjoy the digital plate reverb, sounds like old 60s studio plate reverb to me!

The footswitch is kinda redundant and seems like it was included just for the sake of having a footswitch. Dynamic range footswitch and Reverb footswitch? Why?...

I love this amp.

marshalltsl and JohnH like this.
  7. Dean Swindell

With modern circuit boards, any mod is quite a commitment and an undertaking, whereas a 67 Showman it's easy to do stuff "just to check it out" as you say.

8. Dean Swindell

I sold mine because I couldn't keep my hands off the mid and treble controls, always an early bad sign. I couldn't get it to sound right so it had to go. As for the "pedal platform" thing, any cheap amp can do that. No reason to have a Marshall.

9. Dean Swindell

I've only tried the jtm when the reissues came out. Instantly got a great sound. But since I don't look to Marshall for a Fender sound, I'm most interested in the 1987 which the preamp of the VM more resembles.

10. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Received some beautiful GEC's today, can't wait to put them in !

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020