Is a Vintage Modern circuit board like a JTM45 ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Hi guys,......some say that the Vintage Modern is based on a JTM45 or 45-100 but
    is it exactly like JTM45 ?..........I know there's a mid boost ,...reverb and so on but
    how close to the 45 the VM circuit board is ?
    Another question I have is what is the HDR mode ,.....is it like a cascaded mod like an 800 ?

Tx

Dean Swindell and tce63 like this.
  2. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I don't think so. It's based from a JTM but it's a diferent amp.

lespaul339 likes this.
  3. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I see lots of people saying that the Vintage Modern gets those old school Marshall sounds. But I haven't heard it yet in any demos. I have heard some great sounds from JTM45's, Plexi's, Metalface's, and later JMP's/JCM's.

obx351 and danyjr like this.
  4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I believe it’s based on the jtm 45/100. Heard it direct from the designer who worked on the Jimi Hendrix model 45/100. It uses a ppimv. Other than it weighing as much as a T. rex I can’t speak to much more except that it’s a great amp.

5. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

I'm a player, not a tech. I have a basic knowledge of amps in general, meaning I don't know many details about circuit design.

I thinkof the HDR and LDR as something like the hi and lo inputs.

I've read many times that the Vintage Modern is a hot rodded JTM. I'd say that's pretty close. I can get some pretty vintage and classic sounds from a 2466. It's also capable of more gain than a jcm 800, but it's a different sound and feel. It can get pretty rowdy, but it's not as tight and brutal as a JCM can be in the low end.

That's pretty much the sum of my knowledge on the subject

:headbanger:

6. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Have you heard robin Trower? He was using 2 vintage moderns. That’s about as old school as it gets. Paul Gilbert was using 2 half stack vintage moderns as well. In recent years he’s been going back to more classic rock tones. I’ve gotten great early EVH plexi tones also. It’s important to use the 425 a /b 4/12 cabs with the vm. They have the same speakers that was used in the Jimi Hendrix limited edition cabs.

Mystic38 and Trelwheen like this.
  7. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

LDR is a plexi signal path.

The Detail knob is the high treble volume knob on a four holer. The Body knob is the Normal channel volume knob on four holer. It is always jumped.

HDR adds in an extra preamp gain stage to each channel. Each channel HDR is close to a 2203/04 preamp signal path.

8. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I'm a player, not a tech too. LDR and HDR it's not something like hi low inputs. On HDR the amp use V1 and V2, on LDR just V1. HDR it's a high gain amp. You are right it's pretty clouse a JTM45. A jcm800 100W it's much more loud than VM2466. VM use KT66 like the oldest JTM45.

BanditPanda likes this.
  9. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You would have to compare the schematics . To see the difference

10. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

The designer of the VM is a regular contributor over at musicians roadhouse. He can give you a definitive answer.

marshalltsl and Kelia like this.
  11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

The VM definitely feels ‘softer’ than a 2203/4. Fuller, ‘tubbier’. The Detail knob is your friend on that amp.

Trelwheen and Kelia like this.
  12. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Also, surprisingly not a loud amp at all.

13. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It's not the same as any of those others.
    Look at the schematics.

14. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Can't read a schem ,.......that's why I posted this thread ,...want to know if it's true
    that the circuit is the same as a JTM45-100 ,........what are the differences ?

marshalltsl likes this.
  15. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Here are qoutes from the creator of the Vintage Modern... Steve Dawson.

Doesnt exactly answer your question but...

"The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding. For a JTM 45 tone select the low dynamic range, master volume on full, mid boost out, Detail at 2 -4 o'clock. Body at 1 - 3 o'clock and then dime the tones. This should be very close." -SteveD

"The vintage Modern is essentially a Plexi with some bells and whistles. Its foundation is the 'JTM 45 Super 100's' as championed by Hendrix, Clapton in Cream and several others." -SteveD

"Designing an amp is a process of evolving what has come before these days. Nearly every current amp around can have it's fundamental root topology traced back to a mere handful of original circuit forms from way back. Why re-invent the wheel? The secret is to know how to manipulate the signal path to give a unique character and identity (Everyone has vocal cords but we each have our own distinct voice).

I developed the Vintage Modern from the Super100JH I did before it. A hot rodded JTM45 period amp is quite rare so it seemed like a good idea to make it available to the public.

I spent months moulding, shaping and fine tuning the tone while adding various useful features that wouldn't get in the way of the amp's natural organic functionality. Each individual designer at Marshall will work on a project alone with regard to building and developing the circuit that will make the sounds, however, there are a lot more people involved in getting it to the production line - PCB draughtsmen, mechanical draughtsmen, component procurement, graphic designers, the people on the factory floor who physically build it, purchasing, marketing, etc. etc." -SteveD

danyjr, Mystic38, BftGibson and 7 others like this.
  16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

When I examined the schematics I was surpised to find that the extra tube does not perform the function of several cascaded stages in the way that a DSL, SLX, Rectifier, 5150..ect does. It just provides one cascaded gain stage like a 2203 each for the Detail and Body signal paths before they are blended. Detail and body always run in parallel to each other.

I think it would have been easier to understand how it works, and how to dial it in, had they just made it a four holer lay out and provided a channel jumper cable.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Kelia and Maggot Brain like this.
  17. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Maggot Brain likes this.
  18. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks,...........I once saw a Fortin modded VM that was wired serie instead of parallel ,..what is the difference and what does it do tone wise ?

19. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Trower's tone was outstanding with the VMs

I've never played mine through a 425 but it sounds wicked through an MF400 with G12K100s. It sounds and feels too loose in the lows through a cab with V30s. Everything sounds great through the MF400.

Kelia likes this.
  20. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

Because you are hearing the high gain channel in most youtube videos.

The low gain channel is where you nail the vintage toan.......and it does all day every single day.

Mystic38 and Kelia like this.