Is a JVM a real Marshall or something else?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by oldmanrockin, Sep 22, 2020.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Topo is a greek word meaning 'Place'.
    Logy is a Greek word meaning 'study of'.

So Topology should therefore mean the 'study of place'.
    In this case 'place' can mean 'spatial relationship'.

Marshall have used 'Topology' to mean where some of the components appear (or don't) in the overall circuitry of a preamp setting.
    Topology is less of a mouthful though.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  2. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I own a JVM50H. It's absolutely NOT a modeling amp. It's got various gain stages but they're all MARSHALL gain stages. It will do Marshall tones from any era. I love mine and I just bought a Marshall SV20. It's loud but absolutely all Marshall.

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I like "vintage" Marshall only, not very keen on the DSL line or any of their low end stuff. I bought a JVM410h from Sweetwater, it was so noisy I thought is was broke, so they sent me another. It wasn't broke. The 2 OD channels I found almost useless, the clean was ok but nothing extra, the crunch ch. was good it had a lot of range throughout it. I sold it shortly after for a whooping loss. I would have liked a 3 ch. version with the clean and 2 crunch ch. much better. All the write up's I read said the drive on the 2 OD ch. was almost unusable past 9-10 o'clock, I thought they must be wrong but in my case they were right. Some people really like them, but if you don't dig the DSL much you probably won't like the JVM either. If you order from Sweetwater you can send it back. I found my "versatile Marshall" sound in an amp from Ceriatone called a Chupacabra and love it. It's a modded Marshall type, but they have one called a "Plexi 51 All Access" you may like. If a JVM410 turns out to be your thing, look for a used one. (about $1000)

4. wolfpack

wolfpack Active Member

& if you don't like a Ceriatone, your resale value will be even more of a loss

5. mrp

mrp Active Member

Ain't it a shame that Choke transformers, Output transformers size of a baby's head and Reverb tanks are solely reserved for the Reissue series these days.

6. Raimo

Raimo Member

It's a great amp for those who needs different sounds and soundscapes. It takes a time to find the sweetspots and tame that beast. Yes, it has a lot of gain but no metal player will complain about it. If you're not into metal, stay on the clean and crunch channel. Those two alone is what I use for a blues band and it shines. Playing harder music and can go over on the overdrive channel 1 and keep it on green with a tube screamer, a great classic marshall sound. I don't use the yellow and red gain stages, and I don't have to use them so why sweat about it?

7. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

cos its not technically accurate...:)

i second what @spacerocker says and add that to me, topology is closer to the architecture than circuit design.. so # of preamp stages, location of tone stack etc.. or simplistically, remove all component values from a circuit design.

to me a circuit design includes component values, without them its simply an idea.

spacerocker and LPMarshall hack like this.
  8. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Have to respectfully disagree with that, I own a DSL 401 and JVM205H. The JVM I find more responsive, defined, 'musical.' I need high gain and don't want to use a pedal. I'm not a nu metaller or any of that, and am very particular about my tone. The JVM is a very good amp, the only weakness for me is the reverb.

MatFnEhUK likes this.
  9. giblesp

I've owned a JVM205H for a week, its been doing me well so far. Also have a DSL 401. The JVM may be able to do what you want with it, but it sounds like you are more old school Marshall. If the red channel of the DSL is no good for you, the orange and red on the JVM wont be of much use either. The crunch channels on the JVM are indeed good, but they may not be up there with an actual JTM for someone who has owned a JTM. So if you want the JTM sound, get the JTM and not the DSL or JVM. I'd just use a TS9 on the clean channel of the DSL or JVM for crunch personally.

The JVM is most definitely not a digital amp. All tube. Digital reverb and that's it.

So on my direct comparisons with my DSL and JVM, I find the clean and crunch on both to be comparable. Once you start going into high gain territory, the JVM for me is the clear winner and is why I bought the JVM.

If you're not going into high gain territory, the JVM may not be for you. Maybe check out the Studio series.. Beautiful crunch sounds, cheaper than their full size counterparts. They have a little less oomph than their big brothers, but very clear sounding, responsive amps (had the studio Jubilee for a while).

MatFnEhUK likes this.
  10. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

That doesn’t seem to be the case at all. In fact most I’ve seen sell for almost what was paid.

11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

They DO sell for what you paid, one of the few.
    Actually I could sell my Chupacabra for what I paid for it very quickly if I wanted to. My JVM I paid about $2500 and the best I could get was $1000 and it took month's to sell. It was brand new and in perfect shape to.

12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

No sweat, like I said some like them very much. It is usually people that like the DSL series that like them the most. I would have liked the clean ch on mine if they had not took the vol. knob out of it. I did like the crunch ch part, just not the OD ch's, to modern for me.

giblesp likes this.
  13. giblesp

Fair enough, it is indeed a very modern sounding amp with a nice hint of the classic flavor.

14. Guitarfreak1969

Guitarfreak1969 New Member

check this video.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Guitarfreak1969

Guitarfreak1969 New Member

16. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Active Member

Good question, horribly titled thread :D
    Yes, it's a real Marshall. You're really going to have to try one out to see what you think, as always. Not much I or anybody can say, you've got YouTube clips and these forums for opinions but they vary wildly. "Marshall" tone is pretty subjective, but even what I consider "Marshall tone" isn't what the majority seem to think. Turns out my opinion was more in line of "boosted JCM800" tone. So if you're looking for THAT, then...the JVM is a great choice. Good luck!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Nmoc strat

Nmoc strat Active Member

Of course JVMs are not real Marshalls. Real Marshalls have only 6 knobs in the front panel.

Just kidding, but, I'm not a JVM fan, already had One, a 410H, they're Ugly, too many knobs, and for all the versatility they have, with the 12 channels and programmable footswitch and all, O couldnt get a sound I truly liked, its like they took another amp, and put a blanket Over the speaker. Not for me.

I prefer the DSL / JCM2000s.

Sapient likes this.
  18. jjjp

jjjp New Member

To the OP:
    I own and gig the JVM 205H. Great amp that definitely sounds and performs like a Marshall. Regarding the usefulness of the crunch channels, This amp adds a gain stage to the crunch channel by adding gain from one side/half of one of the 12ax7s (ecc83). This adds too much gain and can be tamed by using a different tube in that slot- I’ve posted about this in the past but don’t remember the type of tube off the top of my head. One side of this replacement tube is not as hot as the corresponding side in the 12ax7 normally in that slot/tube position. Do a search on this and you’ll find the info. Once you do this the crunch channels are totally useable, even at gig volume without the noise and feedback that occur with a normal 12ax7.
    I think the JVM is one of the least appreciated and misunderstood amps from Marshall. It’s easily the most versatile amp they have ever made, and it sounds killer. Also you can find 50 watt models for $1000 almost any day, probably because most people dismiss it based on internet chatter.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  19. jjjp

jjjp New Member

I couldn’t find my tube post. Put an ECC823 into V6 and all the problems with noise and feedback go away.....

20. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

The JVM I played sounded almost identical to my JCM900 4100 (on one particular setting). It also had other "tones" which I never used but would suit heavier tunes. Nice amps, cost a bit, but nice...