Inventory Spreadsheet?

AtomicRob

Reaction score
You know, Murphy's Law and all, if you do all this preparation it's just going to mean you'll end up sticking around for another decade. But in any case. I'd suggest not using a computer at all for this kind of thing. It's waaaaay too easy for files on a computer to disappear, get lost, or become otherwise unable to access. And it's so impersonal. Even if you print it out, it's just toner on a page. Get a decent journal and write up a list in your own handwriting. If your wife and kid are sentimental, they'll enjoy having it. If not, they'll be like damn it, why didn't Ballzz just type this up so it was legible.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear of your lung condition. Hopefully, things get better for you!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I'm an Apple/Mac guy, so I made my own in Numbers. It's a good idea to do so you have record of everything you own in case any of your stuff gets damaged or stolen. I even uploaded mine online to my Dropbox so I have it backed up incase something were to happen to my computer as well.

It's a free apple program part of OS. You should be able to get in from the App Store for free. I personally think it's easier to navigate than Excell.

Well, don't that just bite the big baloney! Last night I found "Numbers" at the APP Store and it said it would be fine on my comfuser! As a long time MAC user, I've always had best success with new apps, etc, by making sure I've done some housecleaning, got the latest updates, run Disc Utility, ad nauseam befor installing. Well I did all that on my MAC that is old enough to not accept an OS past 10.15.7 and after all that house cleaning, the APP Store tells me I need OS 11. I guess I'll try contacting APPLE to see if there is a way to get an older version of Numbers.

Alternatively, it seems that PowerPoint might provide all the features I want. Biggest issue is that it is just SO MicroSoft! "The day that MicroSoft releases something that 'DOESN'T"' suck, will be the day they release vacuum cleaners!" :facepalm:

Thanks Again,
Gene

lespaul339

Reaction score
Well, don't that just bite the big baloney! Last night I found "Numbers" at the APP Store and it said it would be fine on my comfuser! As a long time MAC user, I've always had best success with new apps, etc, by making sure I've done some housecleaning, got the latest updates, run Disc Utility, ad nauseam befor installing. Well I did all that on my MAC that is old enough to not accept an OS past 10.15.7 and after all that house cleaning, the APP Store tells me I need OS 11. I guess I'll try contacting APPLE to see if there is a way to get an older version of Numbers.

Alternatively, it seems that PowerPoint might provide all the features I want. Biggest issue is that it is just SO MicroSoft! "The day that MicroSoft releases something that 'DOESN'T"' suck, will be the day they release vacuum cleaners!" :facepalm:

Thanks Again,
Gene

That's a bummer! I ran into that with my MacBook and wanting to download their new Pages App. Hopefully you can get it figured out with Apple.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Might want to check out a free program called "Open Office".

I use it for my business inventory.

It allows you to tailor different columns/ cells and then input different criteria.

Its quite easy to figure out, and its FREE!

Prayers sent your way brother.

EDIT: Tried to make a copy for you, but this forum will not allow me to attach it... It took me 2 minutes! Message me if youd like it!

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Gene, I am teuly sorry to hear this. That is sad news indeed! Keep positive man!
I use..um..Excel..cause. er..Windows...
However it does work well, the pictures are simply stored outside of Excel. 1 file for the details, one folder for pictures. Done and easy so I hope the Mac spreadsheet is even easier. Powerpoint can be kinda involved for what you want IMO.
Cheers and take care

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I have the full MS Office suite on my MAC, but haven't used Excell or PowerPoint for years. You know how it is, "Ya don't use it, ya lose it!" @Jethro Rocker Not sure how to set it up to have any link between a file for the details and one for the pics! Maybe I need to re-think and simplify, but I'd really like to have it all set up so that my wife could easily do ads, etc. She knows nothing at all about guitars, music gear or taking good pics. Of course, if I sell most of it off now, I'll end up seeing a miracle of living another ten years, without my toys!
Or Well,
Gene

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have the full MS Office suite on my MAC, but haven't used Excell or PowerPoint for years. You know how it is, "Ya don't use it, ya lose it!" @Jethro Rocker Not sure how to set it up to have any link between a file for the details and one for the pics! Maybe I need to re-think and simplify, but I'd really like to have it all set up so that my wife could easily do ads, etc. She knows nothing at all about guitars, music gear or taking good pics. Of course, if I sell most of it off now, I'll end up seeing a miracle of living another ten years, without my toys!
Or Well,
Gene
I just named my picture files including serial numbers with the name of each instrument. No linking but Exvel shows a 2016 CherryLP Classic and there is a picture folder named the same with pics of the LP in it seems fairly easy to me so I did it that way.

Deftone

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, best of health to you sir. Kind of you to think of your wife at this time.

Coincidentally I started my own spreadsheet to keep track of gear recently. I made a simple spread sheet in Word, but I'm finding it's limitations and may start over in Excel.

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
It's waaaaay too easy for files on a computer to disappear, get lost, or become otherwise unable to access.
AtomicRob is so right.. When I was a young man in my 20's I had a nice long conversation with my grandmother. She gave me information all the way to her great grandparents and what everyone did for a living, etc.

I plugged it all into a program and you can guess the rest. I lost all of the information and didn't realize it until she was gone. You can't really rely on a computer for anything of importance.

Even now, I back up everything to
A. Time Machine
B. an external drive..

Time machine has worked well but the external drive has lost corrupted files quite a few times.

John Stedman

Reaction score
I don't know how useful this would be for you but I use a simple Word document with Year/Make/Model/Details Serial # as the header. For the category headings I use: Instrument, Amplifier & Attenuator, Effect Pedal, Wah Pedal, Volume/Expression Pedal, 19" Rack Equipment (Guitar), 19" Rack Equipment (Studio), Other Equipment (Studio), Microphone, PA Gear, Wireless, Accessories, Speaker Cables. When I buy a new piece of gear it'll usually fit into one of those categories. I don't keep track of guitar or microphone cables as I've got a lot and that would be too cumbersome/tedious.

Last edited:

gkelm

Reaction score
Hey Gene, blessing to you, man. I don’t frequent this board much but your post came up on the “trending threads” email, so you’re trendy! :) I admire you for sharing your situation, and reaching out about how to document your gear, And it sounds like you have a good balance between wanting to make things easier for your loved ones, and enjoying your goodies while you’re here. I’ve often thought about doing something similar, including purging all the excess stuff, but just haven’t got around to it. Anyway, all the best to you, sincerely.

Beccaio

Reaction score
Hey Gene, blessing to you, man. I don’t frequent this board much but your post came up on the “trending threads” email, so you’re trendy! :) I admire you for sharing your situation, and reaching out about how to document your gear, And it sounds like you have a good balance between wanting to make things easier for your loved ones, and enjoying your goodies while you’re here. I’ve often thought about doing something similar, including purging all the excess stuff, but just haven’t got around to it. Anyway, all the best to you, sincerely.
Wow Gene. Sorry to hear of your health situation. Congratulations on living an amazing dream life!!! Sounds like you have the spreadsheet figured out. Wanted to suggest that you put a letter corresponding to the inventory description on each asset, like “Exhibit A.” That way if the wife is trying to match the asset with the description, it will be more clear. It’s a lot easier for musicians to tell the difference between a sennheiser and a shure or a tele and a strat. Good on you for thinking of others in this time. Hoping you live longer and have happy times.

A friend of mine had small cell lung cancer and after a lobectomy and treatment, he is doing great and he even grew back a full head of hair. God works in mysterious ways my friend. Wishing you all the best.

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
I work in IT for a living. Deal with all the stuff you are talking about, spreadsheets, databases, etc. Honestly, I would just buy a pack of note cards or stick on mailing labels and write the info for each piece of gear, price, year, etc, and put in the case, or back of the amp. For pedals, maybe just a sticker on the side with a price tag. If you want a summary, I would keep it in a notebook/binder stored with the gear.

If you only have a few years left I wouldn't want to be keeping up with a spreadsheet, when likely someone will just wind up printing the spreadsheet out anyway.

I hate to hear that news. I always look for your posts as they are generally the best ones on the forum in my opinion. Keep on rockin buddy. You're probably tougher than the doctors are used to anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to still see you on here in about 10 years. :)

c d

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I don't often frequent this sub-forum but have a general dilemma and questions. I have tons of guitars , amps, musical gear, etc. and I'm scheduled to go "toes up" fairly soon. :eek: I'd like to provide a complete inventory for my wife so that she understands what I have and what it is worth, so that she doesn't get robbed after my demise. I would like this to be in an easy to read/understand format and possibly include, for each item:

A> Item description
B> Serial number
C> Realistic asking price value with a minimum acceptable price.
D> Hopefully, pics of each item.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is already some sort of spreadsheet/form available for this purpose? Or if I need to go ahead and remind myself how to use Excell, Word, PowerPoint, or…..? What direction might be the easiest to go for someone not all that adept at such things?

Thanks Folks,
Gene

Gene, i'd be happy to create an excel sheet for you. If you want to send me an email address.

Chris

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Sorry for your health. I hope your days to come are good ones.

If that is your complete list of gear, I got a bigger problem. My list won't fit on this page.
I am afraid to turn over that list to my wife, as she would hand me a couple suitcases to fill and a free ticket out!

Because of our GREEDY GOVERNMENT if I start selling on the good internet sites, I will have to defend myslef from the tax man
feeling free to rob me off my acrued value. Thanks JOE BIDEN and you other theifs

AN IDEA!
I HAVE PONDERED THIS.
When I get to a similar point and I see the end is closer....

I am thinking of ways to find and reward young budding musicians with a musical gift and hope that maybe I give a guitar to the next "JIMI HENDRIX"
Maybe donate to a good music school, or create some type of quasi scholarship program

My wife doesn't need the money and will probably just want the stuff to disapear quick.

BUT.... NOT YET. I GOT MORE TO DO!

circusinthesky

Reaction score
A rough topic, to be sure, and best wishes your way.

I'm thinking, I'm sure you'll want to make things as easy on your spouse as possible. It would not be ideal to have your spouse try to sell individual pieces, and deal with a lot of sketchy buyers and people pointing out that the pickup rings don't match the year, etc, etc. Perhaps you can establish a relationship with a local shop in advance, and have a verbal agreement to sell or hand off the items to them. Then, when the time comes, your spouse has an established route to either sell the items outright to the shop, or you all may decide to put them on consignment. Or, you might decide a friend will sell them for you on Reverb.

That would make things easy for your Spouse at a very stressful time.

Also, for your spreadsheet, and I'm sure you know this....look on Reverb for the lowest price on a comparable item. Any shop is going to use Reverb as their price lookup site. And then subtract some % because the shop isn't going to buy it for the price it sells on Reverb. The shop has to make a profit, so you can probably expect to lower the price by 30-40%. But, I'm sure it would be better for your Spouse to sell a bulk package to a shop at a slight loss, versus selling each piece individually. (You could also have the shop sell some higher priced items on Consignment.)

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited:

macjohn

Reaction score
Or Well,
Gene

I've gone through this process due to a recent stroke making me question my longevity. I used google sheets and linked it to google photos pictures. I have the following set up as my columns:
GuitarCase?SerialPrice Paidpurchase datePU 1 Ohms (b)PU 2 Ohms (n)PU 3 Ohms (m)fret board radius12th fret action7th low E fret capotuningcomments

Most of that is stuff that I've kept track of over the years and just wanted to compare between guitars (it now has 35 rows, one for each guitar with most of this data filled out). In the 'guitar' column, I just right clicked the cell and chose 'insert link' then pasted the link to the google photos picture (which you can get by 'sharing' the photo in google photos and then 'copy link' . The comments column is where I add all the mods I've done to the guitar over the years including what strings are on it. Most of the columns are not necessary for your use so just delete or don't use them. You'll also want to share your created sheet by going into 'file' then 'share' to share it with your wife.

This was created specific for guitars so you could hit the + sign at the bottom left of the page to add more sheets to your file for other things like amps or pedals or mics, whatever. Or you could just change the 'guitar' column to 'gear', remove most of the rest of the columns and just keep the comments to tell about each item.

Let me know if you have any questions about using these things. I'd be happy to help.

*edit
One thing about spreadsheets to remove your fear of them... if you use them the way I'm suggesting above, none of the scary spreadsheet things are used. It's basically a Word document with a table. You just enter text into each cell. No formulas or math involved.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
WOW! :wow:
Thanks to all for the thoughts and tips! Once I actually am ready to "dig in" I'll post back and ask specifics. Right now, I'm simply embracing and hoping for the validity of the phrase: "Only the good die young!" :naughty: Really hoping to avoid a long relationship with an oxygen bottle or in a hospital bed with a tube down my throat! Having a functional mind with the lack of being able to communicate sounds like a horrific nightmare to me. Better to go as a "face plant" or in my sleep, once my ducks are well in a row!

Funny thing, I just pulled out and fired up my CLASS 5 head into one of my 1960B cabs, for the first time in a while. I'd forgotten what a glorious little toy monster it is! I's now got me researching the best spot in the circuit to add an effects loop!

Yeah, I'll keep doin' what I do, until I can't!

Thanks Again To All!
Gene

Latest posts