In search of the Soundgarden tone

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Stefan Cristea Olaru, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Stefan Cristea Olaru

Stefan Cristea Olaru New Member

Hi ! I m a big fan of soundgarden and especialy their first 3 albums in witch i m sure they use a jcm 800 .I have a jcm 900 dual reverb 4100 and a marshall haze 40 .I also have a boss ds 1 distortion pedal and i use my fender mexican made stratocaster HSS pickup configuration and my ESP Ltd eclipse 1000 with emgs .How can i get close to the Gun tone?

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Drop tune and not alot of distortion. Let the amp breath but crank it.

3. Stefan Cristea Olaru

Should i use the haze or the jcm 900 ?And can you tell me what settings should i use?I usualy keep my eclipse in drop d

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Drop D and my 65 JTM 45 can do it when cranked!

5. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

The JCM900 should be fine but back the gain down a little. Use the DS-1 to create needed feedback. A little chorus doesn't hurt either if available.

I believe the first couple albums were whatever amps available in the studio or borrowed from friends. Not sure they are well documented. Bad Motorfinger was Peavey VTM120's and later stuff was a mix of Marshall and Mesa Boogie. Love CHris and Kim's tone though!

6. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

In all of these tone questions; you could get exactly the same gear as your favorite artist. You could also have exactly the same recording setup, with the same producer and sound engineers at the mixing desk (a crucial part of the recorded tone)

You'll then sound nothing like your favorite artist. Reason being, its not just the gear, but down to the way you play. Your technique.

Use what you have and learn to play your favorite songs, have fun with it. Discover your own sound along the way.

7. Stefan Cristea Olaru

I already know most of their songs i m just looking for a closer tone beacuse i just like it i m not looking for the exact tone i know their tone it s very expensive

giblesp likes this.
  8. giblesp

Don't worry with having expensive gear to capture a tone. Hypocritical of me, as I have the best gear I could get. However, a DS1 and Marshall 900... That's some good gear.

You could maybe upgrade the pick ups on your Mex strat, but you'll get closer to the tone you are looking for with your technique than spending more money.

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I wish,..... ALL the young guys here, chasing the tone of some guitar hero of theirs,.... would be required to read this post by @giblesp. :D

I could never understand this stuff, even when I was a teenager, I never even tried to sound like my favorite guitarists. I just wanted to find a good tone of my own.

Spot on giblesp.

Just my :2c:

10. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on this tone is in the fingers nonsense. If that was the case then evh and almost everyone else could get they’re sound out of a clean twin reverb. Not gonna happen.

11. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Right on. The gear provides the audio palette and limits of the sound. Playing affects the sound too, but it is more about how the given sound of the gear is manipulated by the player, not providing the audio palette and limits. Saying that tone is in the hands is analogous to telling painter's that color is in the brush strokes, not the paint. If you want red, just brush the canvas the right way and stop blaming your blue paint. Bs.

Sustainium likes this.
  12. giblesp

Thanks Scozz. Though gear obviously has something to do with it, more time invested into developing technique is way more important to getting loads of gear IME. I'd started playing during the Soundgarden/Nirvana/Pixies etc era. Any of us would be more than happy with a Marshall 900 and DS1, which was pretty close or identical to what many of our heroes were using anyway.

To youngsters starting off I always say, get a used Marshall solid state, Mex strat and DS1 or equivalent, bash it out and enjoy.

13. giblesp

We'll be going with the advice of seasoned and established players on this one. Best of luck to you. You'll need it.

Mark Collier likes this.
  14. giblesp

No, if you're insecure to the point of calling someone else view and experience BS, your the one who's chatting BS.

Mark Collier likes this.
  15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Drop D, turn your mids and gain down, even experiment in dialing your tone in with your neck pickup. I also find having different OD and distortion pedals provide different flavors of tone, example my Proco Rat I think does a good Soundgarden tone, just click it on and there it is. :yesway:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  17. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Who have gear preferences. Many of them, strongly so.

18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

If you can find isolated tracks, that can be a big help for referencing when dialing things in, keeping in mind that guitar sounds are often heavily shaped by recording and mixing. And even with isolated guitars, hearing more than one guitar track at a time can drastically change your perception of the sound, where the sonic footprints of all the tracks are adding up to shape your impression. So if you can, try and also isolate either the left or right guitar where applicable or listen for sections that only have one guitar going.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  19. Stefan Cristea Olaru

Thx i didn know about isolated tracks from this era most of what i ve heard are from the Superunknown era witch i see as a more deep saturated and dark tone

20. giblesp

Its pretty obvious to any player, that we have gear preferences. To suggests its 100% gear and nothing to do with technique is bad advice to say the least. If you hit guitar stings out of time, you are out of time. Steve Vai's rig isn't going to save you from bad technique.

So to suggest to a youngster that technique is all bs, is very much incorrect.