I'm getting a JVM

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Hey MF'ers!
As the title says, I'm getting a JVM410H. The deal is as good as done, and it's a really good one.
I just wanted to know if they have any quirks i should be aware of?
I've done my research, but maybe you have expert knowledge i don't.
Like.. are they disease riddled like some years of JCM2000.
I plan on using it for everything. Band stuff (if we get it back up and running), practice and silent/quiet recording.
Can i use the footswitch, and still integrate with my old G-Major for fx, or do i just get another midi cable and a better midi footcontroller? I never ever want to 4CM anything with long cable runs ever again. Otherwise I'll just get a delay pedal that can live on top of the amp.
Also gates. I've heard that the JVM has a hiss How do you guys do it? In-line gate up front, or in the serial loop? Gate with key input, or gate with a loop? Not looking for super djenty gating, as I want to preserve playing dynamics.
I'm pretty sure it's not going to get modded, as most mods I've heard have muddied up the amp.

TL;DR: talk me out of a JVM.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
"Like.. are they disease riddled like some years of JCM2000"

There are reports, yes.

But not as drastic or widespread as in the
2000 line.

Marshall didnt learn anything during that
disaster, besides that newage customers buy everything. Thats why the JVMs are build to the same principles as 2000s.

That alone makes me not even consider
owning a JVM.

But there will be plenty of more positive
answers, at the end you decide.

Last edited:

Redguitar

Reaction score
Some mods can be transparent tone-wise and help cut some noise and unwanted artifacts, or add features that should have been factory enabled.

My biggest complaint was not being able to get a desired consistent level control from clean-green compared to all other modes. There are mods for that issue and I have tried some, and it can help.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey MF'ers!
As the title says, I'm getting a JVM410H. The deal is as good as done, and it's a really good one.
I plan on using it for everything. Band stuff (if we get it back up and running), practice and silent/quiet recording.
Can i use the footswitch, and still integrate with my old G-Major for fx, or do i just get another midi cable and a better midi footcontroller? I never ever want to 4CM anything with long cable runs ever again. Otherwise I'll just get a delay pedal that can live on top of the amp.
Also gates. I've heard that the JVM has a hiss How do you guys do it? In-line gate up front, or in the serial loop? Gate with key input, or gate with a loop? Not looking for super djenty gating, as I want to preserve playing dynamics.
I'm pretty sure it's not going to get modded, as most mods I've heard have muddied up the amp.

I am not going to talk you out of it.. but I will congratulate you on a fine incoming amp..

Cheers
Mitch

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love mine. I can’t speak to the loops or MIDI, I’ve also got a modeler that I use when I want to do effects stuff. My JVM I keep pretty basic, I’ve got a Drop pedal and an SD-1 in front. Drop is self explanatory, and the SD is just to tighten it up a bit sometimes, most of the time it’s off.
As for hiss, I keep my gain pretty low so it’s not really noisy, and I tend to play on OD1 orange most of the time, it’s got plenty of gain. This is a case of a little goes a long way.

jimmyo

Reaction score
No, they are a totally different amp. Saying that I’ve never had a problem with my JVMs or JCM2000s other than routine maintenance like cleaning crackly pots, and new tubes every once in a while.

Only quirk is the fx loop is parallel so you need to use kill dry setting on your fx. Great amps, lots of very high quality tones in there. Congratulations!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Congrats on the new used amp! I had one but I didn’t gel with it so away it went! I wish you love and happiness with it…rock on!

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
I am not going to talk you out of it.. but I will congratulate you on a fine incoming amp..

Cheers
Mitch

You're gonna like it.

It’s a great amp. I stupidly sold my first one after 10+ years to chase something better. I bought another 410H to replace it after I learned my lesson. If you like Marshall tones and the flexibility of the 3 modes per channel, etc,, you’ll love it. Congratulations and happy NAD in advance.

Congrats man, you must be excited, I sure would be!
:cheers:

Congrats on the new used amp! I had one but I didn’t gel with it so away it went! I wish you love and happiness with it…rock on!

Thanks alot, you guys 😊

No, they are a totally different amp. Saying that I’ve never had a problem with my JVMs or JCM2000s other than routine maintenance like cleaning crackly pots, and new tubes every once in a while.

Only quirk is the fx loop is parallel so you need to use kill dry setting on your fx. Great amps, lots of very high quality tones in there. Congratulations!

Well there are two loops right? And the paralell one can be set to series, right?

I just got an offer on my G-Major, so I'm letting it go in favor of a gate and delay pedal. I figured the gate goes in the serial loop, and the delay in the parallel for better mixing/signal integrity.

you bought it and NOW your asking about possible issues? always do your homework first before you buy.
HNAD.
Thank you! I haven't actually bought it yet, and this thread is my final piece of homework. Seller doesn't have time this weekend, so it'll probably won't be until some night in next week.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi @Whiteknuckle

A JVM215C is on my wish list.

So that tells you I don't own one (yet)!

But as for gates, the hiss may come from the preamp if you use the high gain channels.
Keeping the gain down will help, but if you use a gate, put it in the FX loop so it's after the preamp.
But if you put the G-Major in the loop (no 4CM) then you've already done that.

Not sure about MIDI and using the JVM controller together.
But I suspect you can because the same (PEDL-91016) controller works alongside MIDI with my DSL40CR.

The series/parallel loop may need turning to fully series (wet) for TBE's, but some say that causes a slight volume drop when the loop is engaged.
I personally always leave the loop engaged on my DSL, so that wouldn't be an issue if it were my amp.

The JVM can have channel modes set for MIDI control via the JVM front panel, so no need to change the PC#'s from the G-Major.
But only JVM (digital) button settings can be saved. The analogue knob settings carry across between channel modes.

If there is a volume drop on the Clean Green channel, you may be able to correct it with the G-Major patch for that mode.
That's what I do with my MIDI 4CM setup for the Classic Clean channel of the 40CR, using a GT-100.

Have fun.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
In my opinion (still using my 210H, for the record), JVMs are still underappreciated and overly maligned (online). Anything that breaks with long term tradition tends to get that treatment, to some extent, so it can be expected, particularly from old skool Marshall fans.

Anyway, my experience is that, if you use good gear with them, they’re actually very quiet (i.e., low noise) for such versatile, high power, pure tube amps.

Ever since I cut down on the number of pedals on my board, and bought better cables all round, I’ve been impressed with the noise levels.

And the tones you can get, even unmodded, work great for a whole bunch of styles. I play a strat, a LP and an Ibby with higher gain pups, all through this one amp. 👍

Oh, talk you out of buying one? Hm...

spacerocker

Reaction score
Congratulations! A very versatile and capable amp!

Doesn't quite nail some classic marshall tones/feel, but can do this with a few simple mods!

As for the jibes about build-quality and reliability - ignore them! The JVM is as reliable (or more so) than most other valve amps...I have a 2009 JVM410H (which I have used for over 200 gigs) and a 2009 JVM205C which I acquired 18 months ago. Both are faultlessly reliable and consistent. The only problems I have had are 1 pre-amp valve failure on the 410H, and a failure of a chip on the (very good) digital reverb board - a failure so rare I have never seen another mention of it on any Marshall site of forum....

As for tips/quirks - keep the gain down to 3 or 4 on the OD channels! These channels have more gain than any other Marshall (and most other amps out there!)

Enjoy!

Lowlife

Reaction score
Hey MF'ers!

Mine is going strong, and sounds phenomenal.

But yeas, I recall something about the first generation and some heater fuses causing trouble.

MickeyS

Reaction score
I've had mine since last summer, and with plenty of gigs later I can tell you that it is a great gigging rig and has shined every time I've used it out. I just added a Boss es8 switcher and my options are endless; now I have more than my brain will handle lol. It won't feel like a Superlead or an 800 but I've gotten close with boosts and eq's. I'm not a fan of the loops, but I've never really used them much. The Crunch channel is dead quiet with a TC Sentry gate in front. The OD channels produce noise but as someone said, the GMajor will handle that (and the volume drop when using the loop. OD gains below noon, and everything else at noon as a starting point should get you in the ballpark to finding some great tones. I hope it works for you, I'm happy with it!

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Hi @Whiteknuckle

A JVM215C is on my wish list.

So that tells you I don't own one (yet)!

But as for gates, the hiss may come from the preamp if you use the high gain channels.
Keeping the gain down will help, but if you use a gate, put it in the FX loop so it's after the preamp.
But if you put the G-Major in the loop (no 4CM) then you've already done that.

Not sure about MIDI and using the JVM controller together.
But I suspect you can because the same (PEDL-91016) controller works alongside MIDI with my DSL40CR.

The series/parallel loop may need turning to fully series (wet) for TBE's, but some say that causes a slight volume drop when the loop is engaged.
I personally always leave the loop engaged on my DSL, so that wouldn't be an issue if it were my amp.

The JVM can have channel modes set for MIDI control via the JVM front panel, so no need to change the PC#'s from the G-Major.
But only JVM (digital) button settings can be saved. The analogue knob settings carry across between channel modes.

If there is a volume drop on the Clean Green channel, you may be able to correct it with the G-Major patch for that mode.
That's what I do with my MIDI 4CM setup for the Classic Clean channel of the 40CR, using a GT-100.

Have fun.
Thanks man, real good tips and information 😊
What i really needed and have the space and portability for is a JVM215C, as they really make sense. But I'm getting the 410H for 600€/500£/650$, and it was just too cheap too pass up on. The G-Major is getting sold, and I'm replacing it with separate delay and gate pedals. I'll have tuner, wah and chorus up front.

In my opinion (still using my 210H, for the record), JVMs are still underappreciated and overly maligned (online). Anything that breaks with long term tradition tends to get that treatment, to some extent, so it can be expected, particularly from old skool Marshall fans.

Anyway, my experience is that, if you use good gear with them, they’re actually very quiet (i.e., low noise) for such versatile, high power, pure tube amps.

Ever since I cut down on the number of pedals on my board, and bought better cables all round, I’ve been impressed with the noise levels.

And the tones you can get, even unmodded, work great for a whole bunch of styles. I play a strat, a LP and an Ibby with higher gain pups, all through this one amp. 👍

Oh, talk you out of buying one? Hm...
Great perspective! In every field, hobby or profession, theres a cork-sniffing crowd.
Congratulations! A very versatile and capable amp!

Doesn't quite nail some classic marshall tones/feel, but can do this with a few simple mods!

As for the jibes about build-quality and reliability - ignore them! The JVM is as reliable (or more so) than most other valve amps...I have a 2009 JVM410H (which I have used for over 200 gigs) and a 2009 JVM205C which I acquired 18 months ago. Both are faultlessly reliable and consistent. The only problems I have had are 1 pre-amp valve failure on the 410H, and a failure of a chip on the (very good) digital reverb board - a failure so rare I have never seen another mention of it on any Marshall site of forum....

As for tips/quirks - keep the gain down to 3 or 4 on the OD channels! These channels have more gain than any other Marshall (and most other amps out there!)

Enjoy!
Thanks alot man!
I've had mine since last summer, and with plenty of gigs later I can tell you that it is a great gigging rig and has shined every time I've used it out. I just added a Boss es8 switcher and my options are endless; now I have more than my brain will handle lol. It won't feel like a Superlead or an 800 but I've gotten close with boosts and eq's. I'm not a fan of the loops, but I've never really used them much. The Crunch channel is dead quiet with a TC Sentry gate in front. The OD channels produce noise but as someone said, the GMajor will handle that (and the volume drop when using the loop. OD gains below noon, and everything else at noon as a starting point should get you in the ballpark to finding some great tones. I hope it works for you, I'm happy with it!
I'm dumping the G-Major, as it'll inevitably make my rig more complicated than it needs to be. I'm not too worried about the clean green volume thing. You still have channel volumes one the other channels you can match to the volume of the clean.

Thanks alot for your answers, everyone. Now im even more positive about getting it. Will report back in when i have first hand experience with it.

Still eager to hear from anyone with good and bad experiences with the 410H.