I'm Frustrated - Need Opinions

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Far Rider, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Frankie

Frankie Well-Known Member

I was in that rut too so I just went back to lessons. I showed the instructor what I knew, and he knew exactly where he needed to start. I learned a bunch of good stuff that year!

rocknblues and Far Rider like this.
  2. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

Nothing more tedious than trying to learn by yourself in a dark damp basement with no one to praise or correct your playing.

Two beginners would at least learn from each other.

What helped me was a "looper" pedal. Now I can move up and down and across the neck, while studying scales and modes and how they relate to chords, plus the metronome function keeps it all tidy. Listening to yourself recorded will increase your confidence and little by little you'll start nailing those licks that now may seem hard.

CADILLAC, reno88, brp and 2 others like this.
  3. Frankie

Frankie Well-Known Member

Loopers or even computer software is good. Amplitube is a great piece of software that comes with a bunch of amp models and a built in 4 track recorder. Works really good for looping a riff and then playing over it.

Far Rider likes this.
  4. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Which looper are you guys using? The one on the flashback sucks.

Frankie - did you have to purchase Amplitube or are you using the free version?

5. rocknblues

rocknblues Well-Known Member

FR,

Great inquiry! My hats off to you for not settling for old habits. Go to an instructor and learn some new tricks!

RB

Far Rider likes this.
  6. Ampcrazy

Ampcrazy New Member

You should teach yourself, you have to be comfortable being both the teacher and the pupil, if you understand where i'm coming from?

My advice? Buy Howard Roberts' 3 volume series of books "The Guitar Compendium The Praxis System" It covers technique, theory and musicianship. It shows you all the most relevant and poipular scales and how to use them. Then it go's into arpeggio's with the same treatment for them too. Then it covers intervals. Ear training, everything you can think of to do with guitar playing and educating yourself.

Who was Howard Roberts? Well just about one of the greatest studio guitarists the world has ever seen as well as a jazz virtuoso.

If you're serious about evolving then this is the way to go.

It's expensive but worth it for me anyway.

Guitar Compendium Set (Vol. 1-3) | Roberts Music Institute

CADILLAC and Far Rider like this.
  7. JayCM800

If you guys were in NYC I would invite you to my studio for a few jams.

I could teach some theory, licks and tricks... but there are NO SHORTCUTS, gotta "woodshed"...

8. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Pics or it's your mom's basement. :shred:

9. JayCM800

It's just a rented room In a band rehearsal building. I've been there since 2007. :wave:

10. brp

brp Well-Known Member

I use the Digitech JamMan Solo.
    Great tool for practice and writing.

Far Rider likes this.
  11. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Ooops, not the "Solo", the dual pedal one is what I have. Thought it was called the Solo but that's a different one.
    Just wanted to correct that so not to specifically endorse the Solo, as I have no experience with it. The dual pedal one works great though :D

DirtySteve likes this.
  12. LKrevival

LKrevival New Member

That's a good thing the way I see it, it goes through my mind everyday almost, to push for more because there is so much more to learn or become better. The day you become complacent and the day you loose your will to have a goal or hope is the day you become living dead.

I say all the above to the replies. I have a friend that scoffs at covers saying how originals is really where creativity and talent is at and its true making your own stuff is important to being yourself but covers expand your knowledge that you can then expand upon.

For example for a while I have been working on mastering "all along the watchtower" and learning Jimi close to note for note expanded my playing and also helped me with bends and unison bends , ghost bends, phrasing, timing, and a key I never really messed with before D flat. I play to a back track and sometimes also working out my own soloing in the key Dflat in the outro, it is a win win to me as I see it.

I have to go back to basics also sometimes, because some was skipped. I had a hell of a time with Rush songs to the point I just sat and clapped to the timing, something I hadn't done forever. Now through patience I can do Spirit or the radio to a tee basically without even thinking about it.

Been recently doing originals again with some old friends and all that above, has expanded on that ability.

With the internet and back tracks these days you have a lot of stuff to keep you busy but a live teacher can also help as much. So I say soak in as much as you can. I'd like to mess with slide as I feel that is a important aspect I haven't touched on yet.

Far Rider likes this.
  13. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

Far Rider

Play with other people, playing alone isn't half as much fun as playing with someone else, bet there are a few guys around your age in your area that want to play also...maybe just to get out of the house for a while, look in the local paper for a open jam type of deal, Sam Ash had sponsored a open jam night for all ages not too long ago.

Jamm with a buddy, even if its only 2 guys on acoustics......

Far Rider and DirtySteve like this.